Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · Fuji Firmware Update July

justruss
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fuji Firmware Update July

Fuji just released the big X-E1/X-Pro1 firmware update!

Faster, more accurate focus (w/ lens firmware update too), particularly in low-light situations-- and focus peaking are the two biggies.

I've just upgraded my X-E1 and 35mm... and I definitely notice that the camera is locking far more often in low-light, and focus does appear snappier.

Very exciting.

What are your impressions?

Jul 23, 2013 at 07:11 AM
rsrsrs
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fuji Firmware Update July

Good news, so i can plan to place my order ...

Jul 23, 2013 at 07:12 AM
jonrock
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fuji Firmware Update July

I'm getting increases in AF speed and how fast the lenses lock. The 35mm f1.4 seems to have a bigger increase than my 18-55mm f2.8-4.0 lens though. The firmware updates haven't turned my X-E1 into an Olympus OM-D but there is a noticeable performance increase.

Focus peaking is nice though it would be nice to have more colors in focus peaking like red and yellow in the NEX implementation of focus peaking as it is sometimes a bit difficult to see the white lines in Fuji's implementation of focus peaking. A nice thing that I noticed is that focus peaking still also works in the magnified view when checking focus as well.

Jul 23, 2013 at 07:40 AM
justruss
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fuji Firmware Update July

Yeah, the focus peaking is nice, particularly when zoomed in.

I'd also like the option to change the color, because while the sparkly effect is visible, it's not as visible in some situations when zoomed out.

I think I'd also like the ability to set peaking to show in AF mode. It'd be one more layer of letting me know that I'm locked on the right place.

Still though, the biggie I'm feeling even more acutely now is the lack of programmability of auto-ISO/AV modes, particularly minimum shutter speed (though I'd really like the ability to set more parameters on when it jumps to a higher ISO/SS too. At least one Fuji interview recently indicated that they are looking into the min shutter speed setting for a future firmware release.

I have to say, the willingness of Fuji to keep baking the product this long after release is pretty phenomenal. Some might argue that all this just indicates a half-baked release. I don't feel that way.

Jul 23, 2013 at 07:47 AM
dovey
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Fuji Firmware Update July

The more I use this camera, the more I like it. The focus peaking does work well in this firmware. The way the controls map on back are much more friendly than previously. Kudos to Fujifilm.
I had a lovely Nikon FM2 with good lenses that I used for years before buying my first digital, it was a 1.8 megapixel Fujifilm. Took absolutely priceless photos of my children, mostly because it was with me all the time, small enough to fit in any bag, jacket pocket or jeans.
I stopped using the Nikon and in the end gave it away to a photographer friend as a backup camera.
Now it feels like coming home to Fujifilm.
I am really struggling to justify keeping my 5D2 and L lenses. Between the RX1 and XE1, seems to cover a good part of the range that I want, plus the RX100 for daily useage.

Jul 23, 2013 at 10:48 AM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Fuji Firmware Update July

justruss wrote:

I have to say, the willingness of Fuji to keep baking the product this long after release is pretty phenomenal. Some might argue that all this just indicates a half-baked release. I don't feel that way.

Fujifilm cameras are definitely half baked out of the oven. The review of the X100 had a separate pages devoted to listing over 25 bugs in the firmware! Of course, the X10 was so bad that they had to create a program where the sensor could be replaced due to excessive blooming, that after THREE firmware updates failed to fix it.

Fujifilm HAD to issue this firmware because the autofocus for the X cameras was consistently found to be lacking. Worst in the industry. I have never seen a worse autofocusing camera than the X Pro 1 coupled to either the 35mm or 60mm lens. Now it seems that Fujifilm has finally fixed this travesty. That is great news to the owners of these cameras. The sheer improvement offered by this firmware update is palpable.

Jul 23, 2013 at 11:06 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Fuji Firmware Update July

The focus peaking is an odd implementation, but it works pretty well...rather than looking like an outline, the things in focus simply 'pop' into extreme sharpness. While not 100% pinpoint accurate when zoomed out, I'm finding it works quite well even with low contrast fast lenses, like my Hexanon 57mm f/1.2, which is pretty low contrast at f/1.2 (though high contrast from f/1.8 on). The NEX-7 couldn't display a focus peaking out line on a lot of subjects with that lens, but it does well with Fuji.

The AF has been noticeably improved. Speed is increased, especially with the 35/1.4, and I'm finding that the common AF failures that were happening a lot with the old firmware are all but eliminated here. I'll have to use it a lot more, but this is a big update for getting shots.

Jul 23, 2013 at 11:14 AM
justruss
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Fuji Firmware Update July

rattymouse wrote:

I have never seen a worse autofocusing camera than the X Pro 1 coupled to either the 35mm or 60mm lens. Now it seems that Fujifilm has finally fixed this travesty.

We all have our opinions.

But if the X-Pro1 + 35mm lens (before this update) had the worst AF of any camera you've ever seen... perhaps you haven't seen thaaaat many cameras. Like the Canon M to name just one other more recent example, or the earlier Olympus Pens to name older examples.

AF, even after the upgrade, is still one of the major reasons I won't sell my 5D2. But I was OK with the X-E1 before this most recent firmware update. Now it's significantly better.

Jul 23, 2013 at 11:17 AM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Fuji Firmware Update July

justruss wrote:
We all have our opinions.

But if the X-Pro1 + 35mm lens (before this update) had the worst AF of any camera you've ever seen... perhaps you haven't seen thaaaat many cameras. Like the Canon M to name just one other more recent example, or the earlier Olympus Pens to name older examples.

AF, even after the upgrade, is still one of the major reasons I won't sell my 5D2. But I was OK with the X-E1 before this most recent firmware update. Now it's significantly better.

I didnt give the XE1 a work out the way I did an X Pro 1. I had 3 grand in my pocket ready to by the X Pro 1 when I tested it out and was just appalled at how bad the autofocus was. And was expecting it to be awful since I already owned an X100. But even that didnt prepare me for how horrible the X Pro 1 was. This is on day 1, firmware 1.0 when I was ready to buy.

I've been shooting for 30 years and the X Pro 1 is the nadir of autofocusing in my experience.

Jul 23, 2013 at 11:21 AM
jonrock
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Fuji Firmware Update July

Jman13 wrote:
The focus peaking is an odd implementation, but it works pretty well...rather than looking like an outline, the things in focus simply 'pop' into extreme sharpness. While not 100% pinpoint accurate when zoomed out, I'm finding it works quite well even with low contrast fast lenses, like my Hexanon 57mm f/1.2, which is pretty low contrast at f/1.2 (though high contrast from f/1.8 on). The NEX-7 couldn't display a focus peaking out line on a lot of subjects with that lens, but it does well with Fuji.

The AF has been noticeably improved. Speed is increased, especially with the 35/1.4,
...Show more

Jman13, how's the autofocus on the Fuji 60mm f2.4 macro lens after the new firmware update? I've read comments that it's greatly improved and doesn't hunt that much for autofocus now.

Jul 23, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Fuji Firmware Update July

Well, after more testing, this update is going to be simply huge for me. Before the update, I was having issues with occasional AF failures in indoor lighting when focusing on people's eyes, say ISO 1600, f/1.4, 1/60s. Contrastier subjects were fine in that light, but lower contrast stuff and eyes could be a problem. I also had to use the larger focus box to get it to lock. Now, in situations two full stops worse than that (actually a little more even), with the smallest AF box, I'm getting AF to lock accurately and pretty darn quickly every single time. This is going to be huge for me. This update turns the camera from a great camera for deliberate shooting to a camera that can be used for a much wider variety of shooting, and while the AF still isn't quite as fast as something like the OM-D with a fast AF lens, it's about the same as the OM-D with the Panny 20/1.7, and that's good enough for me. At this point AF is lens focus motor limited, and that's a good place for Fuji to be.

As to the X-Pro experience...I didn't own an XP1, but I tried one when they were new, and it was absolutely abysmal. Super slow, often failing to lock, and worst of all...live view would freeze during AF. So you'd start AF, you lose the view, then it would come back when (if) focus was achieved. It was terrible. While that AF system shouldn't ever have hit the market the way it was, the difference from then to now, and the fact Fuji made those improvements via free FW update is commendable.

Edited on Jul 23, 2013 at 11:43 AM · View previous versions

Jul 23, 2013 at 11:40 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Fuji Firmware Update July

jonrock wrote:
Jman13, how's the autofocus on the Fuji 60mm f2.4 macro lens after the new firmware update? I've read comments that it's greatly improved and doesn't hunt that much for autofocus now.

It doesn't hunt nearly as much. It's still pretty slow throughout the range, just because it's got a huge focus travel and a slow AF motor, but if you aren't moving from really close to really far, it's actually pretty quick now. It's not going to set records, but it's good.

Jul 23, 2013 at 11:41 AM
cputeq
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Fuji Firmware Update July

Hrm, good to hear these results.

Jul 23, 2013 at 11:49 AM
owentn
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Fuji Firmware Update July

Where would I find detailed instructions on how to download and install the upgrade?

Jul 23, 2013 at 11:55 AM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Fuji Firmware Update July

Jman13 wrote:

As to the X-Pro experience...I didn't own an XP1, but I tried one when they were new, and it was absolutely abysmal. Super slow, often failing to lock, and worst of all...live view would freeze during AF. So you'd start AF, you lose the view, then it would come back when (if) focus was achieved. It was terrible. While that AF system shouldn't ever have hit the market the way it was, the difference from then to now, and the fact Fuji made those improvements via free FW update is commendable.

Absolutely agree. Fujifilm HAD to improve the focus for this camera. It was embarrassing.

Jul 23, 2013 at 11:57 AM
naturephoto1
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Fuji Firmware Update July

I am going to have to get accustomed to the focus peaking. I have only tried one of my Leica R lenses on the camera so far since the firmware update. The focus peaking appears to work with my 24mm f2.8 Elmarit certainly at the 5X magnification. I have yet to try other MF Leica R lenses at this point. My Fujifilm 24mm f2.8 lens does appear to focus faster on AF and it too seems to work OK with focus peaking.

I will have to do more testing with different Leica R lenses and using the Fujifilm 14mm lens since the updates.

Rich

Jul 23, 2013 at 12:22 PM
SR777
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Fuji Firmware Update July

owentn wrote:
Where would I find detailed instructions on how to download and install the upgrade?

http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/#firmware

I plan to upgrade later this week.

Jul 23, 2013 at 12:24 PM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Fuji Firmware Update July

cputeq wrote:
Hrm, good to hear these results.

definitely. i sold the x-pro shortly after buying it because the AF was so bad. i use my x100 all the time and would love a 50mm complement, so this news kinda makes me want to buy the x-pro with the 35 1.4 again.

Jul 23, 2013 at 01:22 PM
tjpenton
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Fuji Firmware Update July

Is there any chance that they will update the firmware in the future to enable me to use bulb mode in a way that one shutter press would open the shutter and one press would close it instead of having to hold down on the shutter?

I don't want to shell out $70 for a rr-80

Jul 23, 2013 at 01:46 PM
twelveish
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Fuji Firmware Update July

Jman13 wrote:
Well, after more testing, this update is going to be simply huge for me. Before the update, I was having issues with occasional AF failures in indoor lighting when focusing on people's eyes, say ISO 1600, f/1.4, 1/60s. Contrastier subjects were fine in that light, but lower contrast stuff and eyes could be a problem. I also had to use the larger focus box to get it to lock. Now, in situations two full stops worse than that (actually a little more even), with the smallest AF box, I'm getting AF to lock accurately and pretty darn quickly every single
...Show more

I think this just might seal the deal for me. Thanks for your input.

Jul 23, 2013 at 01:56 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password