Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Houseguests

Bob Jarman
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Houseguests

Abby, age 2.

Preference? Suggestions?

Bob

NIKON D7100    AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G IF-ED lens    23mm    f/3.5    1/200s    713 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jul 23, 2013 at 01:18 AM
eeneryma
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Houseguests

Beautiful portrait! Natural soft window light? My personal preference is the first photo. There's something about the position of the hands in the second which seem to be suspended a little awkwardly. Toddler photos are a challenge for sure, getting everything in the right position. You might want to clean up a few stray hairs around the right ear. Also some "light spots"below both ears could be darkened to remove minor distractions. Overall, great job.

Jul 23, 2013 at 02:28 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Houseguests

Nice! I especially like the second. Maybe a few very minot tweaks to wee bit of retouching lip and upper right arm? Maybe some burning to sculpt a bit and perhaps a mid-tone contrast bump?

Jul 23, 2013 at 03:14 AM
pinball_pw
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Houseguests

I agree with liking the first better. They are both nice though. The hands seem to indicate perhaps a little bit of feeling of un-sureness on what to do. If you decide to print, it shouldn't be too hard to add negative space depending on the print format chosen. If I were to change anything, it might be to lighten the whites of the eyes a smidgen. Lovely photos - Paul

Jul 23, 2013 at 11:26 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · Houseguests

eeneryma wrote:
Beautiful portrait! Natural soft window light? My personal preference is the first photo. There's something about the position of the hands in the second which seem to be suspended a little awkwardly. Toddler photos are a challenge for sure, getting everything in the right position. You might want to clean up a few stray hairs around the right ear. Also some "light spots"below both ears could be darkened to remove minor distractions. Overall, great job.

Thanks for your comments,

Yes, light from a west-facing window, late afternoon. A work-in-progress.

Glad you like the image, getting her to smile naturally is a challenge - too much "cheeeese" most of the time

Bob

Jul 23, 2013 at 01:35 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Houseguests

AuntiPode wrote:
Nice! I especially like the second. Maybe a few very minot tweaks to wee bit of retouching lip and upper right arm? Maybe some burning to sculpt a bit and perhaps a mid-tone contrast bump?

Thanks for the great re-work Karen. I'd cloned out her brother, who was not in focus and saw the jagged arm after the post - too late in the evening to tackle the clean-up.

Regards,

Bob

Jul 23, 2013 at 01:37 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Houseguests

pinball_pw wrote:
I agree with liking the first better. They are both nice though. The hands seem to indicate perhaps a little bit of feeling of un-sureness on what to do. If you decide to print, it shouldn't be too hard to add negative space depending on the print format chosen. If I were to change anything, it might be to lighten the whites of the eyes a smidgen. Lovely photos - Paul

Paul,

Thanks for your thoughts - good point about her hands!

Regards,

Bob

Jul 23, 2013 at 01:39 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · Houseguests

a timeless look with soft lighting
second seems to have vignette covering the forearms; appears somewhat unnatural
Scott

Jul 26, 2013 at 01:13 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · Houseguests

Sometimes using an exposure layer and the gamma slider gives a better vignette effect. Lowering the exposure dilutes the contrast to my eyes, while boosting the gamma darkens while preserving and usually enhancing mid-tone contrast.

Jul 26, 2013 at 01:41 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password