New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Manfrotto 410 Junior Geared Head

subgenius
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Manfrotto 410 Junior Geared Head

Anyone own this geared head would like to hear your opinion. I know the reviews on B&H are good but would like to get your opinion on this tripod head. I have owned the Manfrotto 222 Joystick Head for 7 years now, but just does not give me the support I need any longer.

Jul 22, 2013 at 06:58 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Manfrotto 410 Junior Geared Head

I think it's great!

Here's some info on the beast,

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1196041
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1139222
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1131300
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/840150

Since the first link above was posted, I bought a Hejnar Arca-Swiss (A-S) replacement base clamp for the top of my 410, as identified by Joe Pawlowski, in that thread (thanks, Joe). It's an excellent solution, as opposed to the Manfrotto RC-4 system that comes on the 410 head, which is an OK solution. I also replaced all of my Manfrotto RC-2 clamps and plates with A-S, three or four years ago.

Jul 22, 2013 at 07:20 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Manfrotto 410 Junior Geared Head

It is a very good head in the right hands

Jul 22, 2013 at 07:34 PM
shooter00

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Manfrotto 410 Junior Geared Head

I've got one and love it.

Jul 22, 2013 at 08:30 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Manfrotto 410 Junior Geared Head

Very nice for polar alignment with my vixen Polarie. Otherwise I don't use it much.

Jul 22, 2013 at 08:48 PM
jimmy462
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Manfrotto 410 Junior Geared Head

Hi subgenius,

I just took delivery on a 410 this past month (and saved $65 with the recent Manfrotto rebates) to be put to use for architectural work, and I have to say that I'm impressed with the unit, both with its robustness (read: heft and sturdiness), fine-tuning adjustment abilities and build quality. It should serve me well in obtaining precise, level horizons.

I am curious, however, as to why you're considering a geared head as a replacement for a joystick ballhead? These are two quite different beasties. No love for the 322-, 324- or 327-RC2 joysticks from Manfrotto? I use the 322 on a quick-release monopod and wouldn't trade that setup for the world, but I wouldn't use it to grab a portrait of the new Public Library building! Nor would I take the 410 out for birding! Different horses for different courses?

Jimmy G

P.S. @dpdg...have you ever posted about that adaptation for the Vixen mount? I'd be real curious to read more about it (your experiences ±)...I've been using a Vixen GPDX for years with the SS2000 and I've never been able to get to internal polar scope aligned precisely enough and, so, have always had to resort to the drift method to fine-tune my polar alignment. (...very annoying.) I'd trust my (Manfrotto) 405 with the weight of the 102mm refractor on-board but definitely not with the 8-inch Newtonian! If you could point me in the direction of some help with that setup that would be super!

Jul 23, 2013 at 04:39 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Manfrotto 410 Junior Geared Head

I'll post something hopefully this weekend in a separate thread for you Jimmy.
I agree that the geared head is great at what it is great for! I use an Arca Swiss B1 head for basic stuff, a wimberly for long lenses, and the geared head for the Vixen scope.

Jul 23, 2013 at 08:02 PM
jimmy462
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Manfrotto 410 Junior Geared Head

@ dpdg ...thanks for the PM, you were talking Polaris scopes and I was talking Polaris mounts, glad we got that cleared up! I'll be looking forward to your post on the scope and the Astrotrac, as we discussed! Thanks again!

Jul 23, 2013 at 09:43 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.