Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List
  

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

  

Archive 2013 · Submitting Images to Magazines
  
 
Ghost
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Submitting Images to Magazines


Sometimes I come across featured images of other photographers on print or online magazines. I am wondering if there are any value to this apart from feeling good.
Wouldn't it help with establishing stronger credit with potential clients checking you out?


If you do submit your images, what is your line of thought behind your submissions?



Jul 22, 2013 at 06:37 PM
TRReichman
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Submitting Images to Magazines


Every wedding we shot last year except one got published in print magazines, some of them 2-4 times in different publications. In our business it has been more of a curse than benefit. We don't see any marketing boost from it but our clients have come to expect it which makes things more stressful since you obviously have no control over it. We've gone entirely after print and have ignored online features since that is what our clients respond to.

When we submit images we are only concerned with the notability of the wedding with respect to appearance. Magazines want to feature weddings that have a unique or opulent aspect. It is t about creative photography or personality in many cases. You have to really think about the "newsworthiness" of an event from a design perspective.

- trr



Jul 22, 2013 at 06:54 PM
jeremy_clay
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Submitting Images to Magazines


i hate shooting 'bride expectation' weddings like that (meaning we do not submit, but our brides want to be the girls with the weddings in the magazine, so we will sign off on it). Besides the 'don't blog/don't share/magazine profits from you for rarely any return', shooting this style often equates to shooting advertising (important vendor names represented, specific shots and specific angles to ensure more likely approval, etc) and can make it less creative then a tog would want. Additionally, it sees 0 referral bookings (for us at least).


Jul 22, 2013 at 07:18 PM
hardlyboring
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Submitting Images to Magazines


jeremy_clay wrote:
i hate shooting 'bride expectation' weddings like that (meaning we do not submit, but our brides want to be the girls with the weddings in the magazine, so we will sign off on it). Besides the 'don't blog/don't share/magazine profits from you for rarely any return', shooting this style often equates to shooting advertising (important vendor names represented, specific shots and specific angles to ensure more likely approval, etc) and can make it less creative then a tog would want. Additionally, it sees 0 referral bookings (for us at least).


BOOM
We tell people strait up that we do not shoot for blogs or magazines or photo competitions etc. We shoot for them. Sounds cliche but in order to shoot for a magazine or blog we would have to change the entire way we shoot and leave out parts of the wedding and or people that we feel are important to the couple.




Jul 22, 2013 at 07:30 PM
TRReichman
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Submitting Images to Magazines


I find by shooting for the magazine we capture exactly what the clients want. Even if we felt there was a difference I personally wouldn't have a problem photographing the event to make both sides happy - I don't see one and impeding the other.

I also understand that many weddings are important to vendors and getting it published is far more important to them than to us or the family. As such getting published has strengthened many vendor relationships which is probably the most tangible benefit we've seen.

- trr



Jul 22, 2013 at 07:38 PM
jeremy_clay
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Submitting Images to Magazines


TRReichman wrote:
As such getting published has strengthened many vendor relationships which is probably the most tangible benefit we've seen.

- trr


This is a great angle for consideration as well and bears a requote.



Jul 22, 2013 at 07:50 PM
ckhagen
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Submitting Images to Magazines


Other vendors definitely appreciate when you get their work published. It's an excellent way to put yourself at the front of their mind when it comes to referrals.


Jul 22, 2013 at 07:58 PM
Ghost
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Submitting Images to Magazines


Thanks for the angles! This is quite interesting. Maybe I'll try it just for kicks when I have some down time. How does the vendor come into play? Do you list all the vendors? Limo service, hotel, church, shoes, dress, florist etc?


Jul 22, 2013 at 08:34 PM
JR Magat
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Submitting Images to Magazines


Ghost wrote:
Thanks for the angles! This is quite interesting. Maybe I'll try it just for kicks when I have some down time. How does the vendor come into play? Do you list all the vendors? Limo service, hotel, church, shoes, dress, florist etc?


keep in mind, most wedding blogs and magazines have a particular style or photos that they show (ex. some like themes or trends) and most like lots of details. So your chances of being published are greater if your wedding you're submitting fits their profile

vendors come in because the blog or magazine will list the vendors featured. You also want to inform the vendors to connect with them and let them know that your wedding will be featured on _____ with vendor cred for them. This will help build your relationship with them & give them reasons to want to work with you in future weddings.

Good luck!



Jul 22, 2013 at 08:42 PM
tobicus
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Submitting Images to Magazines


We landed this wedding specifically because this wedding was featured in a bridal blog.


Jul 22, 2013 at 10:07 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



Ghost
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Submitting Images to Magazines


What's your thoughts on which wedding/bridal publisher to go for?

Did further researching, seems like they need you and your b&g to sign their release prior to submission. Hmm... I'm not big on bugging my b&g again on this especially they have already signed contract vis-Ó-vis photo release with me.




Jul 22, 2013 at 10:23 PM
D. Diggler
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Submitting Images to Magazines


Seems odd it doesn't lead to bookings to be published in magazines. You know ... brides like the photos and see your name credited. And some here have said getting photos in online blogs leads to bookings.


Jul 23, 2013 at 01:20 AM
TRReichman
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Submitting Images to Magazines


D. Diggler wrote:
Seems odd it doesn't lead to bookings to be published in magazines. You know ... brides like the photos and see your name credited. And some here have said getting photos in online blogs leads to bookings.


I've found that the people I work with only look at a wedding magazine when they are published in it. They rarely use them to do their planning. Depends on your niche I imagine.

- trr



Jul 23, 2013 at 02:05 AM
heikoM
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Submitting Images to Magazines


JosÚ Villa states in his book that being published in Bridal Magazines was his major point of success...


Jul 23, 2013 at 07:04 AM
D. Diggler
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Submitting Images to Magazines


heikoM wrote:
JosÚ Villa states in his book that being published in Bridal Magazines was his major point of success.


He has a book now?



Jul 23, 2013 at 06:25 PM
TRReichman
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Submitting Images to Magazines


I think JV was doing it before it become as standard for the rest of us. 5 years ago being published as a photographer was uncommon and a fairly big deal. Now it is pretty commonplace.

- trr



Jul 23, 2013 at 06:27 PM
tobicus
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Submitting Images to Magazines


Ghost wrote:
What's your thoughts on which wedding/bridal publisher to go for?


It depends on what the publisher already publishes (much as in the writing world). I've got this wedding coming out next year, and am curious to see if it'll bring in more bookings as well.



Jul 24, 2013 at 12:24 AM
TRReichman
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Submitting Images to Magazines


We go for the publication that the coordinator or designer is the most interested in being published in. We personally go exclusively for local and regional publications becuase we want to be hired locally. Most people go for the "prestige" of a national magazine but it is far less likely that someone will hire you across the country. The people that I want to see the work are the people in my backyard.

- trr



Jul 24, 2013 at 02:06 AM
TheGE
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Submitting Images to Magazines


D. Diggler wrote:
Seems odd it doesn't lead to bookings to be published in magazines. You know ... brides like the photos and see your name credited. And some here have said getting photos in online blogs leads to bookings.


It's not unheard of but rare that a bride or groom leafing through a magazine sees a photo, stops in their tracks and says "I must have that photographer! Don't let anyone in or out of the building - I need a magnifying glass STAT so I can read the photo credit and contact that photographer immediately!"

Even back in the day when the circle of published photographers was way smaller and I was getting published in magazines (even getting paid for use of my work) - it didn't happen. I just had a magazine feature my work in a full page interview and another magazine, a community based magazine, featured my work on the cover and a two page spread as its feature article. Nothing's changed.

TRReichman wrote:
We've gone entirely after print and have ignored online features since that is what our clients respond to...

...I've found that the people I work with only look at a wedding magazine when they are published in it. They rarely use them to do their planning.


That would appear to be a contradiction, wouldn't it? I guess I'm not understanding what you mean by "respond to."

TRReichman wrote:
I think JV was doing it before it become as standard for the rest of us. 5 years ago being published as a photographer was uncommon and a fairly big deal. Now it is pretty commonplace.


Exactly. It's like the Mike Colon story of running ads in G.O. Wedding Style.

When I started getting published back in the 90's, it was a coup. If you got published, it was usually a sign that you were damn good. Now the state of the industry is such that media has a tremendous appetite for all the willing and available free content and automated processes to keep their bellies full. Sort of like the buffet at Denny's and typically the same quality.

TRReichman wrote:
We go for the publication that the coordinator or designer is the most interested in being published in. We personally go exclusively for local and regional publications because we want to be hired locally. Most people go for the "prestige" of a national magazine but it is far less likely that someone will hire you across the country. The people that I want to see the work are the people in my backyard.


This comment very much nails it.



Jul 24, 2013 at 02:46 PM
D. Diggler
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Submitting Images to Magazines


TheGE wrote:
It's like the Mike Colon story of running ads in G.O. Wedding Style.


I'm not familiar with that story.



Jul 24, 2013 at 05:40 PM





FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password