Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Cambridge, UK e-sessions x2 - C&C :)

JonMold
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Cambridge, UK e-sessions x2 - C&C :)

Thoughts I'd post last 2 e-sessions from my home city of Cambridge, UK.

C&C welcome.

CLARE & JACOB

ANNABEL & GRAHAM

Jul 22, 2013 at 05:08 PM
jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Cambridge, UK e-sessions x2 - C&C :)

You know you're good, so I'll skip that stuff

For me, the tonal contrast is too agressive on certain images like 2 and 3 and leaves her looking more 'defined' (wrinkles/blemishes/color variations to sin) then would be flattering. #4 is too extreme. LOVE 6 but again, the enhancement of lines via contrast gives her lower jaw all kinds of definition then is flattering; it also really unflatters her armpits. 10 is my fav of them all, really great.

Jul 22, 2013 at 06:03 PM
stevez32
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Cambridge, UK e-sessions x2 - C&C :)

Lookin good Jon. For some reason these seem a bit more "gritty" than your usual (except for the last one). Different processing (something with the sharpening or black levels?) or maybe I'm just viewing them differently here somehow.

Jul 22, 2013 at 06:06 PM
JonMold
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Cambridge, UK e-sessions x2 - C&C :)

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I've altered my processing since upgrading from LR4 -> LR5. Before I used to change files on import to DNG. Now I don't bother since using LR5. However I have had to redo all my presets so you are right my PP has changed.

I'd be interested to know if you think there is any difference between the 2 sessions? Process and shooting? I did a workshop between them.

Thanks again.

Jul 22, 2013 at 06:14 PM
jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Cambridge, UK e-sessions x2 - C&C :)

Though a small sample size, session 2 only really has 1 center-composed shot (I didn't count the one where they are divided). Many negspace images.

Jul 22, 2013 at 07:51 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Cambridge, UK e-sessions x2 - C&C :)

clone out your lightstand in 9
love the overhead shot of the first couple

Jul 22, 2013 at 07:53 PM
stevez32
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Cambridge, UK e-sessions x2 - C&C :)

Hard to say specifically Jon, but IMHO the 2nd set is stronger overall at showing your unique vision, although what you have shown here is maybe a tad bit overboard on the "lets make sure I frame them somehow in every shot." For the first set shot number 1 seems like it could be taken by anyone, and 6 just isn't that flattering to either of them although the framing is quite nice, their expressions just bring it down. The 2nd set you seem to be pushing your framing/compose something interesting more, if only because the first leads with 1 just doesn't seem as distinguishable overall.

Just some stream of consciousness thoughts here...

Jul 22, 2013 at 10:25 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

JonMold
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Cambridge, UK e-sessions x2 - C&C :)

jeremy_clay wrote:
Though a small sample size, session 2 only really has 1 center-composed shot (I didn't count the one where they are divided). Many negspace images.

Hey Jeremy - I agree, both couples however were a little difficult to work with. I should and will push myself to mix it up a little and get more close portraits and have less of those negative space ones. Thanks for the feedback

Jul 23, 2013 at 10:16 AM
JonMold
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Cambridge, UK e-sessions x2 - C&C :)

hardlyboring wrote:
clone out your lightstand in 9
love the overhead shot of the first couple

Cheer Doug - D'oh, light stand lol - good spot!

Jul 23, 2013 at 10:17 AM
JonMold
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Cambridge, UK e-sessions x2 - C&C :)

stevez32 wrote:
Hard to say specifically Jon, but IMHO the 2nd set is stronger overall at showing your unique vision, although what you have shown here is maybe a tad bit overboard on the "lets make sure I frame them somehow in every shot." For the first set shot number 1 seems like it could be taken by anyone, and 6 just isn't that flattering to either of them although the framing is quite nice, their expressions just bring it down. The 2nd set you seem to be pushing your framing/compose something interesting more, if only because the first leads with 1
...Show more

Thanks for the feedback Steve. I think I was fresh from the workshop with 'FRAMING, COMPOSITION, LEADING LINES' still shouting in my head. So it's very apparent in that set I agree.

My processing is still in a transition phase whilst I get my presets tweaked after the change to LR5. Whilst I kind of like the new harder style it doesn't work well on some subjects so I need a 'softer' version which I'm working on.

Thanks for you detailed feedback, it's very much appreciated

Jul 23, 2013 at 10:21 AM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Cambridge, UK e-sessions x2 - C&C :)

Hey Jon,
Just a few thoughts on specific images here:

I think this is your bread and butter. Interesting images, laid back (like you) and a really cool perspective:
http://jonmoldweddings.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Clare-College-Cambridge-Engagement-06.jpg

I think you're better than this image. I think most of it looks cool, but the people will notice right away that they look like Gumby:
http://jonmoldweddings.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Clare-College-Cambridge-Engagement-09a.jpg

And this is a really great image, but I would've went with the one of her smiling if you had it. I don't think that's the most flattering expression for her:
http://jonmoldweddings.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Clare-College-Cambridge-Engagement-13.jpg

Jul 25, 2013 at 09:57 PM
tobiah
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Cambridge, UK e-sessions x2 - C&C :)

Cool stuff. I like number 10 the most.

You've got some great compositional ideas for sure.
Sometimes though I think you focus more on the scenery and capturing it, more on challenging exciting compositions than the actual couple. But your clients I'm sure love this and book you for your creativity in this manner. Not many of these have real emotions in them (although I've been accused of that too!!!)

Here's my cc for each shot. Please don't take it badly even though its quite specific its only given in this way because you are a professional. I'm sure you are very happy with the shots

1) for me the lose is a tiny bit stiff and the flash a bit harsh.

2) I absolutely love the composition but don't love a shot of the top of their heads. Maybe if he was kissing her neck and she was looking up giggling or with her eyes closed? Or with her lay on his lap might work well?

3) cool shot, the pin you against the wall pose isn't for everyone but it works quite well here.

4) the couple are far to distorted. The photos are about them but they seem like an add on?

5) fun shot and composition.

6) cool shot but bad expression. Her hands look a bit awkward too and maybe her legs crossed would improve matters too.

7) a nice shot and cool composition.

8) really great shot, shows a lot of thought.

9) cool idea and shot well executed.

10) really like this.

11) great shot. A rim light on them too maybe nice but cool no the less.

12) nice idea. I'm sure you got some nice ones with them in focus too but the out of focus one is nice and dreamy.

Aug 01, 2013 at 12:12 AM
JonMold
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Cambridge, UK e-sessions x2 - C&C :)

tobiah wrote:
Cool stuff. I like number 10 the most.

You've got some great compositional ideas for sure.
Sometimes though I think you focus more on the scenery and capturing it, more on challenging exciting compositions than the actual couple. But your clients I'm sure love this and book you for your creativity in this manner. Not many of these have real emotions in them (although I've been accused of that too!!!)

Here's my cc for each shot. Please don't take it badly even though its quite specific its only given in this way because you are a professional. I'm sure you are
...Show more

Hey Tobiah

Appreciate the time and detailed reply

Thanks for all the critiques, very useful and really appreciated. I agree that the main of my shooting tends to be from distance and I have to address this. Posing and getting up close is something I'm consciously trying to do more of.

Thanks again man

Aug 05, 2013 at 09:53 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password