Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · MLS Chicago Fire v DC United, Opinions Appreciated

jspytek
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · MLS Chicago Fire v DC United, Opinions Appreciated

Here are my strongest 5 shots from Saturday evenings game. CC is appreciated.

Shout out to Dennis W. (It was a pleasure meeting you)

© jspytek 2013

#1 Too grainy?

© jspytek 2013

#2 Too dark?

© jspytek 2013

© jspytek 2013

#4 Vertical crop instead? But then I get part of player #8

© jspytek 2013

#5 Tried to keep a "normal crop ratio" am I better off eliminating some of the green at the bottom?

Jul 21, 2013 at 08:04 PM
jspytek
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · MLS Chicago Fire v DC United, Opinions Appreciated

A little humor. I'm only including this shot because my son makes some of the stupidest faces when he is playing soccer and this one made me think of the numerous shots I have of him "mid-motion".

© jspytek 2013

#6 Smile - you're on camera

Jul 21, 2013 at 08:09 PM
Carl Auer
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · MLS Chicago Fire v DC United, Opinions Appreciated

Couple questions...Why 3.5? I shoot my 120-300 at either 2.8 or 3.2, but unless I was using strobes, I would not go above 3.2.

I like #2, but it is very dark. WB seems to be off on 3 and 4. You have some good action...I am guessing #1 is cropped a lot in post? With my 300, I tend to wait until they come across the mid field line...

Jul 21, 2013 at 08:36 PM
jspytek
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · MLS Chicago Fire v DC United, Opinions Appreciated

I'm working on the right 2.8 3.2 3.5 setting. Seemed I have been missing too many at 2.8 so maybe I went up to far.

What suggests 3 and 4 are off on the WB? I'm asking because I'm looking at the ball and the white in their uniforms and I was thinking they were a pretty pure white. I'm asking to learn, was there something else that seems off?

Yes, 1 was cropped a bit. I am also getting the feel for what 300 will get me on the regulation size field. Seems from the end line the 18 is about as close as I can come and I'm search for the distance that makes sense. As I'm using a D7000 and not a full frame, I guess that also comes into consideration as to how close / far I can go for a good shot.

I actually did change my settings throughout the game :-) Just seems that the 6 I picked had been later in the game when I jacked the ISO up. Also, as I was considering selling the 300mm I opted not to change lenses during the game. Not the smartest idea, but I wanted to see what it could do overall.

Here's 2 with the guy to the left cropped and lightened a little.

© jspytek 2013

Jul 21, 2013 at 10:38 PM
Carl Auer
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · MLS Chicago Fire v DC United, Opinions Appreciated

The players in 3 and 4 seem to have a blueish tint to their skin.

Jul 21, 2013 at 10:45 PM
Fish On
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · MLS Chicago Fire v DC United, Opinions Appreciated

I agree with Carl about the bluish tint. #5 also has the bluish tint to it. Redo of #2 is much better.

Jul 22, 2013 at 10:52 PM
dmwierz
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · MLS Chicago Fire v DC United, Opinions Appreciated

John I presume that was you I met prior to this match. Looks like you've got some good captures. Agree with the comments above, including the WB ones.

Funny, here's the same play as your number 3, taken from farther away (IQ suffers from the thumbnail generation on the USATSI web site).

http://www.usatodaysportsimages.com/image/thumb/600-600/7345805.jpg

I like your background better than mine, as I was near midfield.

Dennis

Jul 24, 2013 at 01:25 PM
jspytek
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · MLS Chicago Fire v DC United, Opinions Appreciated

Thanks Dennis. I was likely shooting end to end. I moved to the side opposite of the benches with about 20 minutes to go in each half.

Jul 24, 2013 at 05:57 PM
mkchang
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · MLS Chicago Fire v DC United, Opinions Appreciated

Try bumping up the shadows. Looks like your blacks are too black. I'm at the airport viewing on my phone. I'll try to have better cc sometime when I get home.

Jul 24, 2013 at 08:13 PM
dmwierz
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · MLS Chicago Fire v DC United, Opinions Appreciated

Yeah, Michael is probably right. Notice the lack of shadow detail in number 2, for example.

Jul 25, 2013 at 03:59 PM
mkchang
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · MLS Chicago Fire v DC United, Opinions Appreciated

Overall good. Remember that faces are very important (exposure and white balance) and can be what makes or breaks a picture.

1) A little underexposed. Remember, it's all about the faces. Bring up the shadows as well.

2) Underexposed, bring up the shadows.

3) Good, a little contrasty up the shadows.

4) Good, WB a little off. Look at the faces (a little purple)

5) Crop tighter. You want people to be drawn to their faces. Cropping tighter will do that.

Jul 26, 2013 at 07:09 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.