1       2      
       end

Archive 2013 · 1D Mark III Question

minatophase3
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · 1D Mark III Question

Pixel Perfect wrote:
And you haven't stated why you would not then just choose MRAW, which is ~10MP and exactly what you are wanting!

If only 1 camera were needed then I would agree I could make the 5D III work. But as stated above, when I have 2 stations setup I need 2 cameras and I want a backup in case something happens. Since I have several different people taking the pictures (not always me), having different types of cameras, especially one that is a 5D III and one that is a 1 series would bring about unnecessary confustion. That is why I would like to have my 2 main cameras and backuip camera be the same.

Aug 12, 2013 at 10:53 AM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · 1D Mark III Question

minatophase3 wrote:
If only 1 camera were needed then I would agree I could make the 5D III work. But as stated above, when I have 2 stations setup I need 2 cameras and I want a backup in case something happens. Since I have several different people taking the pictures (not always me), having different types of cameras, especially one that is a 5D III and one that is a 1 series would bring about unnecessary confustion. That is why I would like to have my 2 main cameras and backuip camera be the same.

That is a completely different question than what you first posted, and obviously would be a different answer. Yes you can get 1 or 2 1D3s for less money than another 5D3, and they should meet your expectations, other than their high ISO performance won't be quite to par with your 5D3. Also be aware that at some point in the near future, Canon will most likely drop support for the 1D3, but I am not sure how important that would be for you.

minatophase3 wrote:
I am thinking about upgrading my school portrait cameras from the 40D's I currently use to 1D Mark III's. I am very happy with the 40D's for the type of pictures I take but would really love to use cameras with dual cards in the event that I have a card failure Given that the prices are now around $1,000 it is would be an easier transition.

I have a 5D III and know that I can record images to both cards at the same time, either the same file type or different but am not sure that is how
...Show more

Aug 12, 2013 at 04:08 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · 1D Mark III Question

This seems to be a good summary of the thread, so far.

TeamSpeed wrote:
That is a completely different question than what you first posted, and obviously would be a different answer. Yes you can get 1 or 2 1D3s for less money than another 5D3, and they should meet your expectations, other than their high ISO performance won't be quite to par with your 5D3. Also be aware that at some point in the near future, Canon will most likely drop support for the 1D3, but I am not sure how important that would be for you.

My two cents...

TeamSpeed wrote:
That is a completely different question than what you first posted, and obviously would be a different answer. Yes you can get 1 or 2 1D3s for less money than another 5D3...

Yes, two of them (1DIII).

TeamSpeed wrote:
... and they (1DIII) should meet your expectations, other than their high ISO performance won't be quite to par with your 5D3.

I'd say, "Yes, but the 1DIII high ISO performance is not nearly as good as the 5DIII". (Based on my experience with 1DX and 6D.)

TeamSpeed wrote:
...Also be aware that at some point in the near future, Canon will most likely drop support for the 1D3...

Yes. I figure 2015 will mark the end of 1DIII support at Canon Service.

Aug 12, 2013 at 04:23 PM
minatophase3
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · 1D Mark III Question

My apologies if I caused some confusion. I was just basically curious how the 1D III worked as far as writing to 2 seperate cards. I should have left out the fact that I had a 5D III, would have been a much shorter thread :-).

Aug 12, 2013 at 05:47 PM
sivrajbm
• • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · 1D Mark III Question

Tim, just let the thread die and buy your camera Brother...

Aug 12, 2013 at 05:59 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · 1D Mark III Question

minatophase3 wrote:
... I should have left out ...

Who hasn't been there?

Aug 12, 2013 at 07:22 PM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · 1D Mark III Question

The only question I would have left is that "will you be cropping images quite a bit"?

Since you are losing a bit of crop factor with the 1D3 over the 40D, but have the same resolution, you are going to have much smaller files ultimately if you crop.

Now, a quick solution could possibly be to use a 1.4x TC on the 1D3, as you will have f8 capabilities. This will give you latitude in the reach department without worrying about budget for longer lenses or cropping images down.

Aug 12, 2013 at 07:40 PM
minatophase3
• • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · 1D Mark III Question

TeamSpeed wrote:
The only question I would have left is that "will you be cropping images quite a bit"?

Since you are losing a bit of crop factor with the 1D3 over the 40D, but have the same resolution, you are going to have much smaller files ultimately if you crop.

Now, a quick solution could possibly be to use a 1.4x TC on the 1D3, as you will have f8 capabilities. This will give you latitude in the reach department without worrying about budget for longer lenses or cropping images down.

These are Fall school portraits, we sit close enough to almost touch the kids, so reach isn't a problem.

Aug 12, 2013 at 09:34 PM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · 1D Mark III Question

Well that answers that, a pair of 1D3s should be great then, just double up on the lenses and flashes. A 70-200 and a fast 50 work great!

Aug 13, 2013 at 08:57 AM
Tom Robinson
• •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · 1D Mark III Question

As if this thread isn't long enough! I'm in a similar boat. Shooting T&I with 40D's for the last several seasons, I bought a 1DIV in February and used it at first, just for group shots. Then I tried it for the individuals. I print onsite and don't have time to fuss with PP, the color, clarity and depth right out of the camera are just better. I 'm waiting for a 1DIII just purchased on the B&S board and hope the files will compare with the IV.

Aug 14, 2013 at 09:52 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.