New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · 1D Mark III Question

minatophase3
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 1D Mark III Question

I am thinking about upgrading my school portrait cameras from the 40D's I currently use to 1D Mark III's. I am very happy with the 40D's for the type of pictures I take but would really love to use cameras with dual cards in the event that I have a card failure Given that the prices are now around $1,000 it is would be an easier transition.

I have a 5D III and know that I can record images to both cards at the same time, either the same file type or different but am not sure that is how the 1D Mark III works. Can someone with this camera please let me know if it is possible to record images to both cards at the same time, and if so can they be different types of images (RAW + JPG) or do they need to be the same?

Thanks for your help.
Tim

Jul 21, 2013 at 02:05 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 1D Mark III Question

Yes, you can set to record both cards at the same time. Each card can be set to to record any of the types of JPG or RAW file combinations. That's a lot of flexibility!

Jul 21, 2013 at 02:20 PM
gpop
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 1D Mark III Question

yes, you can write to both cards at the same time, and choose what file type for either card, as well as the recorded size. this is a nice feature if you want a full size raw on the cf and a smaller jpg to the sd in case you use the eyefi wireless card.

hth

Jul 21, 2013 at 02:20 PM
minatophase3
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 1D Mark III Question

Perfect thanks so much for your responses, it is greatly appreciated!

Jul 21, 2013 at 02:33 PM
rcheliphotog
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 1D Mark III Question

I know your question has already been answered, but as an owner of both, for your purposes I would highly recommend the 1ds II over the III. Just my .02

Jul 21, 2013 at 07:33 PM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 1D Mark III Question

rcheliphotog wrote:
I know your question has already been answered, but as an owner of both, for your purposes I would highly recommend the 1ds II over the III. Just my .02

+1 for portraits.

Jul 21, 2013 at 07:35 PM
T-Rex

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 1D Mark III Question

Why? What exactly makes the II better in that situation?

Jul 21, 2013 at 08:26 PM
minatophase3
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 1D Mark III Question

I used to have the 1Ds II and it was an awesome camera, but I couldn't stand the interface. For the purpose I need the cameras for (school pictures) the 1Ds II would not work well. I need to be able to shoot several images within a few seconds, quickly zoom in and review and move onto the next student. We will typically shoot between 200 - 600 students in 4 or 5 hours so the pace is pretty fast. Also, I typically take 3 or 4 images per student. I have found that the 10 MP size is the sweet spot as no images are ever printed larger than 8x10. Larger that 10 MP is just a waste.

If I were doing senior portraits then I would agree, the 1Ds II would be a better option as the files it produces are awesome.

Jul 21, 2013 at 08:34 PM
kezeka
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 1D Mark III Question

minatophase3 wrote:
I used to have the 1Ds II and it was an awesome camera, but I couldn't stand the interface. For the purpose I need the cameras for (school pictures) the 1Ds II would not work well. I need to be able to shoot several images within a few seconds, quickly zoom in and review and move onto the next student. We will typically shoot between 200 - 600 students in 4 or 5 hours so the pace is pretty fast. Also, I typically take 3 or 4 images per student. I have found that the 10 MP size is the
...Show more

I have found 10 mp to be the sweet spot for many things. Particularly when I am editing thousands of photos on a timeline and I can fly through them since they aren't nearly as large of files as the 5D2 or 3.

Jul 21, 2013 at 09:15 PM
ebiggs
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 1D Mark III Question

minatophase3 wrote:
I have a 5D III and know that I can record images to both cards at the same time, either the same file type or different but am not sure that is how the 1D Mark III works.

Thanks for your help.
Tim

You already have the best camera for your needs. IMHO, any camera including the 1D Mk III and below is a lesser camera than your already owned 5D Mk III. Save your money.

Jul 22, 2013 at 12:08 PM
kjcramer
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 1D Mark III Question

I have found 10 mp to be the sweet spot for many things. Particularly when I am editing thousands of photos on a timeline and I can fly through them since they aren't nearly as large of files as the 5D2 or 3.

Agree with this 100%. Also, the interface is much improved on the MK3 and it is a much more responsive camera overall.

Jul 22, 2013 at 12:14 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 1D Mark III Question

I still have a 40D body in my safe. It's worth so little now I can't bear to sell it so cheap, it's just such an excellent body.

The one thing I would much prefer in the 1D3 in this instance, apart from in-camera backup, is an AF point near the eyes in portrait orientation. I'd find portraiture awkward without that now.

Jul 22, 2013 at 12:58 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 1D Mark III Question

ebiggs wrote:
You already have the best camera for your needs. IMHO, any camera including the 1D Mk III and below is a lesser camera than your already owned 5D Mk III. Save your money.

The 5D3 is an amazing camera, but as the OP states, it isn't really appropriate for his needs in school or event photography. I agree completely. The 1D3 is a terrific choice for that use, especially when so many images are taken per day -- 10MP RAW is a huge difference compared to 21MP RAW image sizes. The 1D3 is a huge step up in quality and usefulness compared to the 40D he's now using, and reliability should be improved as well -- the 1D3 is a tougher workhorse than the 5D3 (let alone the 40D).

I'm not saying that for most other subjects or approaches the 5D3 isn't the best choice -- it is for the widest range of use. But in this instance, I would reach for my 1D3 over my 1Ds3, so the same reasoning would apply to the 5D3.

Jul 22, 2013 at 02:00 PM
minatophase3
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 1D Mark III Question

Gunzorro wrote:
The 5D3 is an amazing camera, but as the OP states, it isn't really appropriate for his needs in school or event photography. I agree completely. The 1D3 is a terrific choice for that use, especially when so many images are taken per day -- 10MP RAW is a huge difference compared to 21MP RAW image sizes. The 1D3 is a huge step up in quality and usefulness compared to the 40D he's now using, and reliability should be improved as well -- the 1D3 is a tougher workhorse than the 5D3 (let alone the 40D).

I'm not saying that for
...Show more

You are 100% spot on. A typical school consists of 2 cameras shooting about 1,000 images each. The file size is a big factor in my decision and the reason why I like the 40D/1D III. More than enough resolution and quality for an 8x10 with strobe lighting at ISO 100. Love my 5D III, and would use it in an emergency, but it is massive overkill for the job I need it for when it comes to school portraits. I do use it when I need to do an all school shot which are typically printed at 16x20, that is a case where I would not feel comfortable using the 40D/1D III. I also love the 5D III for Senior Portraits and Weddings.

Jul 22, 2013 at 02:14 PM
Kathy White
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 1D Mark III Question

minatophase3 wrote:
You are 100% spot on. A typical school consists of 2 cameras shooting about 1,000 images each. The file size is a big factor in my decision and the reason why I like the 40D/1D III. More than enough resolution and quality for an 8x10 with strobe lighting at ISO 100. Love my 5D III, and would use it in an emergency, but it is massive overkill for the job I need it for when it comes to school portraits. I do use it when I need to do an all school shot which are typically printed at 16x20, that
...Show more

Also smart keeping the high mileage off the more expensive gear. Smart business move to use
the cheaper, workhorse type cameras if they get the job done. I just bought an old 1D III to use for some of my casual personal shooting and outdoor use for the same reason, but not as extreme as your needs or for business use.

Jul 22, 2013 at 02:23 PM
jehaas

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 1D Mark III Question

Yes, the 1D III will write to both cards simultaneously in the same or different formats.

Aug 03, 2013 at 03:11 PM
jehaas

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 1D Mark III Question

minatophase3 wrote:
I am thinking about upgrading my school portrait cameras from the 40D's I currently use to 1D Mark III's. I am very happy with the 40D's for the type of pictures I take but would really love to use cameras with dual cards in the event that I have a card failure Given that the prices are now around $1,000 it is would be an easier transition.

I have a 5D III and know that I can record images to both cards at the same time, either the same file type or different but am not sure that is how
...Show more

Yes, the 1D III will write to both cards simultaneously in the same or different file formats.
Joel Haas

Aug 03, 2013 at 03:13 PM
gheller
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 1D Mark III Question

Did the OP forget that you can down-rez the 5D3 files to fit your needs?

I agree - save your $$$

greg

Aug 03, 2013 at 05:35 PM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 1D Mark III Question

Yeah, I don't get it either. If somebody wants smaller files, then record a full size raw on one card, and whatever sized JPG on the other. Or reduce your raw size down to mraw if you don't ever need a fullsize raw.

Great article to possibly readjust your expectations.

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2011/eos_qt_small_raw_images_article.htmlp

Aug 05, 2013 at 04:23 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 1D Mark III Question

I believe there are in-camera processing compromises when using a smaller than normal RAW file, as compared to a full size RAW. If this is the case, it favors shooting a 10MP RAW with a 1D3 over a reduced mRAW at 10MP on a 5D3.

And as PCKit said, it save wear and tear on the more expensive 5D3 (compared to used 1D3 price).

No rule is set in stone here, so whatever you prefer!

Aug 05, 2013 at 04:48 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.