New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Street Accordionist

eeneryma
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Street Accordionist

Just north of Union Square, NYC, outside the Pet Store, with his best friend, playing for tips. You meet the nicest people on the street. PP welcome.

© eeneryma 2012

NYC Street Musician

© eeneryma 2012

NYC Street Musician

Jul 21, 2013 at 01:17 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Street Accordionist

Straightened up a few lines/distortion and converted to B&W with crop ... a little different vibe without the tip hat. Either way works for me.

Kinda wish he wasn't looking so directly into the camera in the second one.

Jul 21, 2013 at 07:38 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Street Accordionist

Can you explain the tools or method you used to straighten the lines? Much appreciated.

Jul 21, 2013 at 07:43 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Street Accordionist

Working in PS ... a few tweaks @ each.

Filter>Lens Correction>Distortion, Horizontal Perspective & Rotate. Then followed by some Edit>Transform>Skew.

Jul 21, 2013 at 07:52 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Street Accordionist

Rusty: Thanks for explaining. Never used those tools before. The power of photoshop, if you know what you're doing!!

Jul 21, 2013 at 09:16 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Street Accordionist

Yup, I never knew what they were or how to use them either ... till someone else (likely Karen) brought them to my attention and I started playing with them to see how they worked.

Looks like I probably could have applied a little vertical perspective after my last skew correction, but since it's only for illustration in our forum, I won't sweat it too much.

Jul 21, 2013 at 09:23 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Street Accordionist

It might have been hard to position yourself and get all the elements in the first image, but I think it would be stronger if it hadnt been shot down on an angle.
Kent's perspective corrections makes that less of an issue.
And I agree it calls for a BW conversion.
Good find. I like following the line from the tilt of his head down towards the knapsack, dog and collection bag, though it was lost in the correction.
Scott

Jul 22, 2013 at 02:36 AM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Street Accordionist

Kinda wish he wasn't looking so directly into the camera in the second one. (Rusty)

Shakespeare: "The eyes are the window to the soul."

There's kind of a tired, awkward, hungover look in his eyes. When I reviewed the photos at home, I was a little put off by this too, but I think it mirrors his state of mind. Temperature in NY was in the mid nineties. It's no easy task playing for tips in the street. Interesting that the shirt he was wearing reminds me of prison garb, mirrored by the alternating lines in the accordion. His shabby and worn clothing attest to his financial state, but he had a chic look as attested to by his hair, tattoos, nose ring, and heavy neck chain. I like his balletic pose in the first photo, leaning over the accordion and intently listening to his music. I also like the sleeping dog, maybe lulled by the music, the accordionist looking downward in his direction. A minute or two earlier the dog was licking my hand.
I'm more naturally a color guy than black and white. Appreciate the black and white conversion which is well done.

Jul 22, 2013 at 08:17 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Street Accordionist

sbeme wrote:
though it was lost in the correction.

It was still available in the corrected version ... I just cropped it for personal preference to show a diff vibe.

+1 @ combination of implied lines and hard lines interplay of organic vs formal.

Jul 22, 2013 at 11:48 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.