New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Lightroom alternative for linux mint

GHorning9000
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lightroom alternative for linux mint

I miss the old days of windows XP. Have been using vista for a few years and have never really liked it. Seems like system stability goes down each new version of windows. I was about to make the switch to mac but since its free to try, I have been checking out linux mint and so far I'm liking it. I can always create a dual boot system (most likely will) but I was wondering if anyone knows of a lightroom alternative for linux mint.

Thanks.

Jul 21, 2013 at 12:58 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lightroom alternative for linux mint

You may want to look into 'darktable'. Whether it will build/run on Mint is a whole 'nother question. It may require you to get more intimate w/ compiling Linux apps and runtime libraries than you really care to.

Jul 21, 2013 at 11:31 AM
thorn79

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lightroom alternative for linux mint

I have been using Ubuntu for years. There are a couple of programs on my Ubuntu machine that handle RAW, Darkroom, UFRaw and Rawstudio. I also use Hugin for panoramas. I mostly use Lightroom on Windows 7 machine that I built myself.

I find that Windows 7 is really stable. Vista drove me nuts. I still have a XP machine that we use at home.

Aug 02, 2013 at 01:31 PM
melcat
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lightroom alternative for linux mint

Corel are currently offering After Shot Pro (formerly Bibble) on special to Lightroom users. It runs on Fedora and Ubuntu. As I understand it, the more common variants of mint are based on Ubuntu. (And I certainly would not go near anything Debian-based.)

I don't have any recent experience with desktop Linux or Corel products.

Aug 03, 2013 at 03:00 AM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lightroom alternative for linux mint

melcat wrote:
Corel are currently offering After Shot Pro (formerly Bibble) on special to Lightroom users. It runs on Fedora and Ubuntu. As I understand it, the more common variants of mint are based on Ubuntu. (And I certainly would not go near anything Debian-based.)

Err, Ubuntu is Debian based

Aug 03, 2013 at 03:27 AM
amacal1
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lightroom alternative for linux mint

I've been running Win 7, Win 8, and Win XP within virtual machines on my Ubuntu computer. I've installed Lightroom 5 and CS6 on the Win 7 VM and they run peachy. Lightroom is a little slow considering that it has only 2 of my processor cores and 4 gigs of RAM available to it, but PS 6 is snappier than I expected.

In any case, do you have a quad core (or better) processor with lotsa ram? If so, you may consider running a windows vm and using lightroom on that.

Aug 08, 2013 at 09:20 AM
slrl0ver
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lightroom alternative for linux mint

amacal1,

I think the only issue you have with running virtualized Windows for PP is the color management stuff.

I don't think VMWare/VBOX guys have spent a lot of time on that...

- slrl0ver

Aug 10, 2013 at 02:27 AM
amacal1
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lightroom alternative for linux mint

slrl0ver wrote:
amacal1,

I think the only issue you have with running virtualized Windows for PP is the color management stuff.

I don't think VMWare/VBOX guys have spent a lot of time on that...

- slrl0ver

You're probably right. The video capabilities are severely lacking for most vm applications. The virtual OS has practically zero interface with the video hardware.

Aug 11, 2013 at 12:07 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.