Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · putting flashes to use

RyanVegas

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · putting flashes to use

Having some problems getting my photos to look good. Dropped about 2500 on a 7b 1200 generator and a photopro head. Along with an ex 580 ii flash. Using pocket wizard plus ii's to mount the speedlight off camera and husing a silver umbrella reflector and I cant get anything worth crap. I cant understand how to get the 7b to stay lit so I can ajust my aperture/shutter speed accoring to the light I have to guess then ajust to it after that. I tried pressing the mldel button but it only stays lit for like 5 seconds than shuts off. Most pro set ups have a continues light lit then it pops as you release the shutter obviously but I want to ajust as its on. And does anyone know how to control how powerful the light the speedlight reflects? Dont have a manual. Looks too harsh even when bounced off an upbrella.

Jul 21, 2013 at 05:16 AM
cwebster
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · putting flashes to use

You don't adjust your exposure according to the modeling light, you adjust it for the flash exposure.

Worst case, guess at your first exposure, chimp the photo, and then adjust by trial and error.

If your speedlight is too bright, either turn it down, or put some kind of diffuser in front of it.

The manual for your EX 580 II flash is available online at Canon. Read it.

<Chas>

Jul 21, 2013 at 08:01 AM
scottam10
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · putting flashes to use

Modelling light is never going to be as powerful as the flash for the actual exposure, so you can't meter off it. The modelling light is really just there so you can position your lights, it gives you an idea of how your subject will be lit

When working with flashes, your aperture controls the exposure; shutter speed has no impact (it just affects how much ambient light contributes to your picture).

I suggest you do some reading

Jul 21, 2013 at 10:06 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · putting flashes to use

RyanVegas wrote:
...I cant understand how to get the 7b to stay lit so I can ajust my aperture/shutter speed accoring to the light

The Profoto 7b is a strobe, not a continuous light. You need to use a flash meter, or take test shots and use the histogram.

RyanVegas wrote:
...I have to guess then ajust to it after that.

Yep; if you don't have a flash meter, that's how it's done.

RyanVegas wrote:
...I tried pressing the mldel button but it only stays lit for like 5 seconds than shuts off.

Have you read the User's Manual? There are several modes for the modeling light, giving 20-seconds, 40-seconds, or 60-seconds.

The 7b modeling light doesn't have "always on" like some other packs because this one is battery-based, and the modeling light would quickly drain the battery if left on.

RyanVegas wrote:
...And does anyone know how to control how powerful the light the speedlight reflects? Dont have a manual.

It takes several button presses, holding some until the proper icon on the LCD starts flashing, etc. Since you're using it off-camera triggered by a PW it needs to be in either Manual power mode or External Autoflash, not ETTL, and since you're using it with another flash source at the same time it should be Manual.

You really need the Instruction Manual, and you can view and save one here:

http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/3/0300004013/01/speedlite580exii-en-es-fr.pdf

By the way, if you're more a visual learner and not a reader, Blue Crane Digital has a video lesson on the 580EX II and 430EX II Speedlites, available as either a DVD for $24.99 or a streaming online video for $19.99. You can learn more here:

http://bluecranedigital.com/Understanding-the-Canon-Speedlite-580EX-II-430EX-II

Edited on Jul 21, 2013 at 06:12 PM · View previous versions

Jul 21, 2013 at 05:41 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

John Patrick
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · putting flashes to use

Ryan, without a flash meter, that's how it's done. Once you have experience, you can "eyeball it" and get it close.

Where in FL? Sounds like you need a lesson or two on strobing.

John

Jul 21, 2013 at 06:09 PM
RyanVegas

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · putting flashes to use

New port richey

Jul 21, 2013 at 06:16 PM
swoop
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · putting flashes to use

I suggest you invest in some workshops.

Jul 21, 2013 at 09:04 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · putting flashes to use

cwebster wrote:
...Worst case, guess at your first exposure, chimp the photo, and then adjust by trial and error.

Not meaning to poke fun at you, Chas, but your post reminded me about this little promo video by Sekonic:

http://www.sekonic.com/whatisyourspecialty/photographer/videos/why-you-need-a-light-meter-for-photography.aspx

Jul 21, 2013 at 11:42 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password