FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · My hardest wedding so far

Robin Usagani
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · My hardest wedding so far

Bride broke her foot 13 days prior the wedding.
Then the wind was blowing like crazy at the ceremony. The 2 flowers on the pedestal fell, that's why they were on the ground. Unity sand and table were about to tip over. The best man was holding the table to keep it from tipping over. I put both of my manfrotto clamp on the table to clamp the table cloth . Ushers were holding the tent for the audio guy. Rain started to drop. Some people left the ceremony. The ceremony was a little far from the clubhouse. This photo is actually facing the clubhouse and you cant even see it. There were bunch of golf carts transporting people back and forward though. I had my alienbee ready for the group photo and had to scratch that plan. I was scrambling trying to gather my light equipment, told the 2nd shooter to keep shooting. Luckily my light was not that wet because i put it under a tree. I had to haul my equipment back to the clubhouse, find an open area indoor where there were not many people in it. It was hard because everyone was in the clubhouse due to the rain. Clear tables in one of the ballrooms, set up my light, shoot group photos. Not that thrilled with the group photos because we really rushed it. It was like herding cats X 10 because people were scattered all over the place because of the rain. Not everyone knew where I was. But anyway.. I will share it once I am done with it. I am pretty happy with the result overall. I am just glad this did not happen to me when I was a noob. It would have been a disaster. A couple of photos to describe the madness.
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f390/schwettynuts/UP1307138768_zps4fafcbd5.jpg
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f390/schwettynuts/UP1307138834_zps90217569.jpg

Jul 20, 2013 at 11:39 PM
scottam10
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · My hardest wedding so far

Wow, sounds like a nightmare. This is why it's good to have a 'Plan B' if you're planning an outdoor wedding (alternate indoor venue in case of bad weather)

Jul 21, 2013 at 05:30 AM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · My hardest wedding so far

Congratulations everything went right on your side.

Is that a piper on the background

Jaime Raso

Jul 21, 2013 at 05:50 AM
eephoto
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · My hardest wedding so far

Yikes!! Sounds like you got the job done though and that's what Counts!

Jul 21, 2013 at 07:00 AM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · My hardest wedding so far

I hate it when this kind of stuff happens. A recent wedding I was working at, the altar (arch) fell over DURING the ceremony and of course that wasn't the first time it happened either. You just do what you can and try to capture everything within your power.

Jul 21, 2013 at 08:20 AM
Mitch W
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · My hardest wedding so far

Sounds like you did a fine job keeping things together.

I shot an outdoor wedding yesterday where an older uncle had a heart attack during the ceremony. Screaming, chairs flying around... it was scary. Fire truck and ambulance came with sirens blaring and took him to the hospital (I heard later that he was doing better). I felt bad for the Uncle, of course, but equally bad for the bride and groom. After some delay the ceremony continued and the rest of the event was fine.

Jul 21, 2013 at 08:58 AM
MazeRunner
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · My hardest wedding so far

Just ridiculous the number of things that went wrong! Would think that sandbags or something heavy to hold down the tent (stakes and lines?) would be used if it were outdoors, regardless of weather, no?

But damn, outdoor weddings like that in bad weather or wind are just crazy!

Jul 21, 2013 at 09:42 PM
Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · My hardest wedding so far

There were stakes on the ground. There was a plan B. It actually rained prior to the ceremony. It stopped so they went ahead and stick with plan A because plan B will look kinda bleh (everyone standing, no decor).

Jul 21, 2013 at 10:04 PM
lindabrowne
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · My hardest wedding so far

Congrats on getting through the day! Crazy weather for an outdoor wedding. I'm looking forward to seeing the final set when it's ready.

Your post had me running for the weather forecast for this Saturday -- 20% chance of rain. As long as no one does a rain dance, we should be good to go! This bride is on crutches, too. She thought she broke her foot last week, but it's a lessor injury. She's babying it now in order to stay off the crutches (hopefully) for the wedding.

A big part of what makes a successful wedding photographer is all that you've shown here -- thinking on your feet, adapting to any situation and having back up plans. And of course, not losing your cool.

Jul 22, 2013 at 12:26 AM
lilyphoto
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · My hardest wedding so far

I'm glad you were still able to get things done! I bet the couple is thankful that you were able to handle it all without missing a beat.

Your situation sounds similar to our wedding this weekend. Bride planned on having an indoor ceremony and the reception/dinner outdoors. All the tables were set up outside... linens put on, flowers and decorations completed. Then it started raining. Hard. The coordinator and team folded up all the chairs that were set up inside for the indoor ceremony and crammed the tables that were outside (enough to seat 200 people) in the ceremony room. They barely fit. Everything was shoved up against the walls and taking up the entire room. Everyone had to sit at the reception tables during the ceremony, and me and my second were wedged between two people's chairs. We couldn't move at ALL during the ceremony and mainly got people's heads and backs. I positioned myself in the middle and my second was off to the side. Was a disaster. The room was WAY too small for that amount of furniture.

I felt really bad for the bride. She was crying before the ceremony because she was so upset that her set up had the be changed completely. In the end, we did our thing and I think we captured the ceremony well. They aren't exactly PRETTY pictures, but we got all the important moments.

Jul 22, 2013 at 10:27 AM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · My hardest wedding so far

Robin Usagani wrote:
... I am pretty happy with the result overall. I am just glad this did not happen to me when I was a noob. It would have been a disaster.

and this where the part some people getting married don't get. How to handle these situations are extremely important.

I've had a couple of situations like this. Sounds like you worked it out very well.

Jul 22, 2013 at 01:54 PM
hannahjo

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · My hardest wedding so far

Oh dear!! Thats scary! But glad to hear that everything went on well. This is why we decided to hold our wedding in a wedding banquet hall though we were dying to get married on a beach! wedding banquet hall

Jul 23, 2013 at 04:45 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.