New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · OM-D : IS issues when using the Samyang 7.5mm fisheye

SNATH

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · OM-D : IS issues when using the Samyang 7.5mm fisheye

Hi all,

First, I hope this is the right forum for this post.

I recently got an Oly OM-D to complement my Nikon FX gear when I want to travel light. I started with the Zuiko 45mm 1.8 and the Rokinon (i.e., Samyang) 7.5mm fisheye (the Zuiko 17mm 1.8 is next as soon as the black version is out!).

I noticed the following strange behavior. I turned on the option that enables IS as soon as I half-press the shutter button. When I use the 45mm I can see the image through the EVF getting very stable as soon as a half press the shutter button and I can take sharp shots down to 1/8sec - 1/6sec (very impressive, BTW; this is a bit better than I can do with the latest Nikon VR at equivalent focal lengths).

However, when I use the fisheye, the image actually gets more wobbly, instead of stabilizing, as soon as I half-press the shutter button and most shots come out blurry even at 1/15sec - 1/20sec (in fact, at those shutter speeds I can get sharp results by turning IS off). Now, I know that IS is not supposed to be as effective at wider focal lengths, but it should not get worse than the longer focal lengths!!!

So, is there some incompatibility between the OM-D's IS and third-party lenses? I would have thought that, given that the IS is on the body, it should work with any lens.

Thank you in advance for any advice!

Tony

Jul 20, 2013 at 07:57 PM
merosen
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · OM-D : IS issues when using the Samyang 7.5mm fisheye

when using a manual lens you need too enter the focal length in the IS menu
when in the IS menu set your IS say to 1, then press the INFO button on the back of the camera
on the right had side of the screen you should see a window with "mm" next to it
use the arrow keys to enter the closet focal length of your lens (in your case 8 mm)
if the focal length entered is longer than the mounted lens you will get the wobbly effect
when you put an autofocus lens back on the camera the IS focal length setting is set by the lens
and the manual entry ignored

Mark

Edited on Jul 20, 2013 at 08:47 PM · View previous versions

Jul 20, 2013 at 08:37 PM
SNATH

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · OM-D : IS issues when using the Samyang 7.5mm fisheye

merosen,

Thanks so much for the advice. I hadn't realized I had to manually set the lens' focal length. Set it to 8mm, first shot sharp at 1/5 sec! Yipeee!!!

Best regards,

Tony

Jul 20, 2013 at 08:42 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.