New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Problem with Nikon TC17e 1.7 teleconverter

jasonjhedges

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Problem with Nikon TC17e 1.7 teleconverter

I bought a used Nikon TC17e 1.7 teleconverter (not from here) and I've noticed that the mechanism that communicates the aperture back to the camera when setting the aperture manually sticks and doesn't spring back to its default position. So if it in the wrong position when you attach the lens and camera and you try to shoot in auto, the camera shows an error (like it thinks the lens aperture isn't set wide open). If you try to shoot manually, it doesn't follow the aperture ring so you have to constantly move it that little slider manually. Not great at describing the problem but hopefully you get the idea.

I'm wondering if anyone has had this issue before? Is there an easy fix or does it have to be sent in for repairs?

Thanks!

Jul 19, 2013 at 10:46 PM
jasonjhedges

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Problem with Nikon TC17e 1.7 teleconverter

In case it helps, I just read this mechanism is called the AI lens coupling. Couldn't think of that last night.

Jul 20, 2013 at 09:49 AM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Problem with Nikon TC17e 1.7 teleconverter

Sometimes the little aperture lever can get bent, and quits aligning properly. You can just bend it back yourself, if you can identify how it's bent and what way to go to get it right.

Jul 20, 2013 at 10:07 AM
jasonjhedges

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Problem with Nikon TC17e 1.7 teleconverter

I looked at that and it does not appear to be bent. However, I did notice that someone removed the AFS tab so that it can be mounted on non-AFS lenses. It looks like maybe they put some of the little flat gasket like pieces back on incorrectly and I'm wondering if one of those is causing it to bind. I don't have the proper type of screwdriver to take it apart so maybe I'll order one and try that.

Jul 20, 2013 at 11:46 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.