Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Loupe of Fintry

Ed Swift
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Loupe of Fintry

Like a few of the waterfalls I've been to recently I think it needs a few trips to get to the best view point, this was the best spot I could work out how to get to a couple of days ago.

It was impossible to get the water smooth with out blowing out totally, does this speed work? Any other suggestions?

Many thanks,
Ed

Jul 19, 2013 at 09:27 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Loupe of Fintry

Th way to get smooth water is a long exposure. If the camera's lowest ISO won't allow a slow enough shutter speed, you must use a neutral density filter - perhaps a very dense one.

Jul 19, 2013 at 10:01 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · Loupe of Fintry

Maybe a couple of tiny areas blown out, but not sure without checking and the larger rez file might be fine.
I do think a blur of the water would improve an otherwise beautiful capture.
It would help to know the EXIF, but if you are already stopped down at ISO 50 or 100 if that is the lowest the camera can do, then the ND filter or shooting at a different time is a necessity.
Scott

Jul 20, 2013 at 12:15 AM
Jglaser757
• •
p.1 #4 · Loupe of Fintry

you need a shutter speed of at least half a second or longer to get more smooth the water

Jul 20, 2013 at 01:15 AM
beanpkk
• • •
p.1 #5 · Loupe of Fintry

The amount of blurriness is a matter of taste. Generally shutter speeds in the 1/50th range are too fast, 1/15th or so about right for some, and even slower 1/2 or even 1 sec right for others. An interesting experiment is to take what you have and combine it with a slow shutter image, blending the two in PS to get just the right effect. Sometimes that works. Generally the bigger the volume of water the faster the shutter speed that works well, and I actually like your image.

For what it's worth,
Keith

Jul 20, 2013 at 02:25 AM
Ed Swift
• • •
p.1 #6 · Loupe of Fintry

Thanks Guys,

I think I might have badly worded my first post about blowing out the water; given the amount of water coming down it looked like even with an ND I'd still end up with a white blob as there aren't that many ledges to break up the flow... Probably lack of experience of knowing what it will look like before I take the shot.

I'll go back and give it another go with a slower speed to see how that works. Maybe get into a better/different position too.

Keith, I'm glad you like it, most of the shots one sees these days are really smooth water so I wasn't sure how this one would go down.

Details on this one are iso 100, f8, 1/80, 1 stop gnd at an angle to try and keep the sky.

Thanks,
Ed

Jul 20, 2013 at 10:26 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · Loupe of Fintry

+1 @ ND (or polarizer) to lenthen your exposure time.

Given the oblique angle of your lighting from this position, the combination of polarizer and your 1 stop gnd could provide some some dramatic sky + more blurred water ... diggin' the prospect of seeing this one shot with both.

Toss on another stop to f11 and you could be picking up nearly 4 stops (1 @ gnd, 1 @ f11, 2 @ polarizer) total, or 3 stops more than this one. That would get you down to 1/10 sec compared to the 1/80 sec on this one. (or other speed of choice through aperture variation), and you could still angle your gnd.

ISO 50 ... while it sounds good in digital ... is often times just a "false" ISO and is essentially the same as ISO 100, just with an EC applied from what I've noted at DXO's sensor testing of various cameras. This doesn't really gain you anything different than ISO 100 in terms of your actual exposure/shutter relationship. A "true" ISO 50 would of course be a different matter. I shot my Canon's at ISO 50 for a while ... finally realizing I wasn't gaining anything really different.

Speed/motion blur are also relative to FL and subject distance, so some variation there (diff comp) can afford a different degree of blur achieved, even if limited to the same shutter speed. Pretty subjective @ the range from milky white to frozen solid, but it sounds like you're trying to find a little of both, which can be a bit trickier/more precise speed/distance/time relationship than the extremes @ milky or frozen.

GL, looking forward to seeing more.

Jul 20, 2013 at 02:21 PM
pinball_pw
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Loupe of Fintry

You already have some good tips above. Rather than repeat or expand on them, I think it would be better to point you to a fantastic tutorial on photographing waterfalls: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/waterfalls.shtml

Hope this helps - Paul

Jul 22, 2013 at 10:23 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · Loupe of Fintry

Ed Swift wrote:
... it looked like even with an ND I'd still end up with a white blob as there aren't that many ledges to break up the flow...

http://www.redbubble.com/people/peterh111/journal/4421304-the-ultimate-guide-to-neutral-density-filters

Jul 22, 2013 at 10:33 PM
Ed Swift
• • •
p.1 #10 · Loupe of Fintry

A couple of really good articles thanks very much.

I'll just need to go try it with the ND filters, and possibly go back to my last waterfalls too for another go as i resisted using them there as well.

Sadly the weather's gone from heavenly back to the traditional Scottish "Crap" since starting this thread so I'm not sure when I'll be back out there; probably a last minute rush when the sky looks nice.

Jul 23, 2013 at 12:47 PM
pinball_pw
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Loupe of Fintry

Waterfalls are actually easier to take photos of in crappy weather.

Jul 23, 2013 at 12:49 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · Loupe of Fintry

Shooting at sunrise or sunset might be helpful, too.

Jul 23, 2013 at 01:46 PM
Ed Swift
• • •
p.1 #13 · Loupe of Fintry

friscoron wrote:
Shooting at sunrise or sunset might be helpful, too.
That's what I'm waiting for.

The above was probably about 30 minutes too early to be counted a proper sunset but next time I'll be able to hang around.

Jul 23, 2013 at 02:14 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · Loupe of Fintry

pinball_pw wrote:
Waterfalls are actually easier to take photos of in crappy weather.

+1 @ "crap" lighting isn't always a bad thing ... just a different thing.

Jul 23, 2013 at 04:19 PM
Ed Swift
• • •
p.1 #15 · Loupe of Fintry

I meant lots of rain.

the last set of photos I posted were not the best weather but this one I want that glow..

Jul 23, 2013 at 04:57 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · Loupe of Fintry

Ah-ha ... crappy weather, not crappy light ... gotcha.

Jul 23, 2013 at 05:25 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password