New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Problems with Image Clarity

rovin47
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Problems with Image Clarity

I知 an amateur wildlife photographer shooting with a Nikon D300 and a 600mm F4 lens. I use a cable release and mirror lock up from a fairly substancial rigid Manfrotto tripod and gimbal head which are both well above the weight and size limitations for the equipment that I知 using. I知 finding that as soon as blow up an image in Nikon View NX or crop that I知 losing a lot of clarity. My question is, am I not steadying the lens enough for the shot or is it because I知 using a 12 mega pixil camera. Any advice on this matter would be appreciated. Roy

Jul 19, 2013 at 03:59 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Problems with Image Clarity

Apply some sharpening in post. All pictures need it. The blurring is aunction of the A filter.

Jul 19, 2013 at 04:06 PM
Todd Warnke
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Problems with Image Clarity

Please post an example or three.

Jul 19, 2013 at 04:30 PM
the solitaire
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Problems with Image Clarity

12 Megapixel should be enough to get sharpness up to the level of good color film back in the day.

I agree with runamuck that the D300 appears to require some post processing, most of all sharpening and some tonal range modification to get these really crisp looking images out of the camera.

Jul 19, 2013 at 04:49 PM
egd5
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Problems with Image Clarity

Even though you are using good technique, do you really have enough shutter speed. I don't have a 600 but i do know the longer the lens the faster the shutter speed needs to be. And, other than the lucky shots where the gods just happen to smile for a moment, it always should be faster than you think.

Jul 19, 2013 at 05:11 PM
davidnholtjr
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Problems with Image Clarity

rovin47 wrote:
I知 an amateur wildlife photographer shooting with a Nikon D300 and a 600mm F4 lens. I use a cable release and mirror lock up from a fairly substancial rigid Manfrotto tripod and gimbal head which are both well above the weight and size limitations for the equipment that I知 using. I知 finding that as soon as blow up an image in Nikon View NX or crop that I知 losing a lot of clarity. My question is, am I not steadying the lens enough for the shot or is it because I知 using a 12 mega pixil camera. Any advice on
...Show more

It's not the 12MP. I use the D300 and have gotten awesome shots with it and I don't even have a nice 600/4 like what you have. The RAW files do need a little sharping.

What is the shutter speed on the shots you are having problems with?

With a 600mm lens on a DX body it's like having a 900mm lens, so you should keep your shutter speed above 1/900 so you don't get camera shake/blur.

It would be helpful if you could post some pic's so we can see what the problem is.

Jul 19, 2013 at 05:12 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Problems with Image Clarity

rovin47 wrote:
I use a cable release and mirror lock up from a fairly substancial rigid Manfrotto tripod and gimbal head which are both well above the weight and size limitations for the equipment that I知 using.

I honestly can't think of any model of Manfrotto tripod that I would trust to something that heavy...

Jul 19, 2013 at 05:27 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Problems with Image Clarity

Really need to see some samples, maybe you're just expecting too much?

Jul 19, 2013 at 05:43 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Problems with Image Clarity

Two words....Fine Tune
That should be an obscene combo with adequate light/SS
I have Jpegs SOOC, handheld with lesser glass/TC's...that would make yer eyes bleed.

Jul 19, 2013 at 05:54 PM
workerdrone
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Problems with Image Clarity

molson wrote:
I honestly can't think of any model of Manfrotto tripod that I would trust to something that heavy...

My larger Manfrotto tripod weighs 25 pounds with no head - think that might do it?

Jul 20, 2013 at 06:51 AM
rovin47
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Problems with Image Clarity

I'll try to get some picks posted later but to answer a few questions 1) SS is usually between 1000 and 1600 depending on lighting using mostly 400 ISO at F5.6. 2) The tripod used is a Manfrotto 161MK2B capable of supporting 45lbs., my equipment including large Jobu gimgal head is around 16 lbs. 3) The distance that I'm usually shooting is across water at anywhere from 200 to 400 yards. I have used this D300 coupled to a 200 to 400 F4 for subjects closer and found the same problem once blown up which is why I went to the 600. I have taken pictures of subjects much closer with both lenses and find little or no problems. Would a higher pixel count help for the longer range stuff or does the problem lay elsewhere. I can appreciate that some post processing will be required. Thanks.

Jul 20, 2013 at 08:13 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Problems with Image Clarity

workerdrone wrote:
My larger Manfrotto tripod weighs 25 pounds with no head - think that might do it?

You wouldn't want to carry that very far... and it still won't handle as much weight as a 5-pound Gitzo...

Cheap video tripods with a crank-up centre column, like the Manfrotto 161, aren't really suitable for field use, especially with large lenses. They might be able to take a load of 45 pounds before they break, but they won't be stable enough to guarantee sharp photos.

This should be required reading for anyone buying big, expensive, and heavy gear: http://bythom.com/support.htm

Edited on Jul 20, 2013 at 08:33 AM · View previous versions

Jul 20, 2013 at 08:30 AM
davidnholtjr
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Problems with Image Clarity

rovin47 wrote:
I'll try to get some picks posted later but to answer a few questions 1) SS is usually between 1000 and 1600 depending on lighting using mostly 400 ISO at F5.6. 2) The tripod used is a Manfrotto 161MK2B capable of supporting 45lbs., my equipment including large Jobu gimgal head is around 16 lbs. 3) The distance that I'm usually shooting is across water at anywhere from 200 to 400 yards. I have used this D300 coupled to a 200 to 400 F4 for subjects closer and found the same problem once blown up which is why I went to
...Show more

Well at those long distances if you have to crop the pic's then it's probably best to get a higher MP camera.

Jul 20, 2013 at 08:33 AM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Problems with Image Clarity

1. Shutter speed best to try to keep at or above 1200
2. Use a heavy tripod and never extend the center post, if it has one.
3. Hang a sandbag from the tripod to keep it steady in a wind and placing a small sandbag on the lens can also help steady it in a wind.
4. 12mp is sufficient for wildlife; however, how much you crop is a factor. Heavy cropping would benefit from a D800 or maybe wait for the D400.
5. Does you camera need to be fine tuned with that lens?

Or, as most posters have already said.

Jul 20, 2013 at 10:13 AM
tjambga

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Problems with Image Clarity

Took my D300s in for a cleaning and was told that all Nikon's D300's need calibration. It seemed to be an issue across the board. I allowed them to do it and WOW what a difference. It wasn't that much to have them to it and the benefits were amazing. I would do that first. I was having the same issues and was new to photography as well. I thought it was something I was doing.

Jul 21, 2013 at 07:09 AM
workerdrone
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Problems with Image Clarity

molson wrote:
You wouldn't want to carry that very far... and it still won't handle as much weight as a 5-pound Gitzo...

That's probably true, but show me a 5lb Gitzo that is 24 feet tall

Jul 21, 2013 at 07:21 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Problems with Image Clarity

tjambga wrote:
Took my D300s in for a cleaning and was told that all Nikon's D300's need calibration. It seemed to be an issue across the board....

Who said this? I call BS.

It's a ridiculous statement.
I had three different ones and they were spot on.

Jul 21, 2013 at 08:57 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Problems with Image Clarity

^ yeah, THAT guy was probably flippin' burgers this time last year.

Jul 21, 2013 at 09:13 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Problems with Image Clarity

ckcarr wrote:
Who said this? I call BS.

It's a ridiculous statement.
I had three different ones and they were spot on.

+1

Maybe they just adjusted the diopter correction on his viewfinder...

Jul 21, 2013 at 09:19 AM
Jan Brittenson
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Problems with Image Clarity

There's also a potential issue with haze, which can be very detrimental for a lens that's low contrast to begin with. I notice this to a huge extent with my 80-400D. A polarizer helps a lot for this lens. Either a normal CPL or a Kaesemann; I prefer the latter, but it's about a stop darker than my regular CPL, so my choice depends on the amount of available light. Just a consideration if you find detail drops with distance when shooting outdoors.

Jul 21, 2013 at 09:30 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.