Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · A Hawaiian destination wedding ( 21 images )

Jon-Mark
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A Hawaiian destination wedding ( 21 images )

While I had the pleasure of having my first visit to Hawaii earlier this year to second shoot for Mr. Hassas, this wedding was my first one there that was all mine. C&C appreciated.

Jul 19, 2013 at 08:07 PM
abadass
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A Hawaiian destination wedding ( 21 images )

nice ring shot and I enjoy your light painting in the last one!

if you need a second shooter on Oahu, let me know!

Jul 19, 2013 at 09:29 PM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A Hawaiian destination wedding ( 21 images )

Really nice stuff JM. This is one of the few posts I'd look through and wished I could see more. Give the people what they want!

I've always admired your hunger for creativity in your work, so it's always fun to see what you're coming up with. As you shoot better weddings, there will be a part of you that tries to convince yourself to play it more safe. Don't do that.

Everything is solid, so here's a few specific thoughts...

This is an interesting capture and positioning them under the mountain was a cool decision. I'm not sure if I love that or not, but it certainly was the most interesting place to put them. To improve this, I would have controlled your spill more on the ground. I think the grass takes away from and otherwise great image:

This one needs more development I think. Maybe try having them look at you or goof off a bit. As is, it's just a little too much nostril:

I think the tone of this is pretty. I wish the focus was on the centerpiece though. Right now there's not really a focal point. Maybe you should learn how to microadjust

Jul 20, 2013 at 02:32 AM
heikoM
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A Hawaiian destination wedding ( 21 images )

really impressive.

I like the shot from below and donīt think itīs too nostril (o:. Looks like friends having a good time, looking at each other and laughing. Looking down would have ruined that. The idea to put the palm behind the brideīs head to accentuate her is really good.

heiko

Jul 20, 2013 at 08:01 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A Hawaiian destination wedding ( 21 images )

I really like this set a lot, a job well done.

Jul 20, 2013 at 06:26 PM
Jon-Mark
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A Hawaiian destination wedding ( 21 images )

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Tony, thanks for the individual critiques. This year I'm trying to switch my blogging to be only images that interest or excite me, but it's great to hear you want more. Hopefully potential clients will feel the same.

Totally agree with the spill on the silhouette shot. Unfortunately, the straps on my grid broke a few weeks before this session and I haven't been able to use it since. Definitely on my priority list. This is probably something I could/should have curtailed in post.

You don't think that if I had the group look down for that shot they'd have pretty unflattering double chins?

The table shot was a Brenizer method of around 30 images, super shallow DOF. I tried a single image shot focusing on the centerpiece and it felt awkward to my eye to have all the plates and other details in the foreground out of focus. Doing Brenizer shots of table settings is something I'm going to experiment with more, but perhaps it wasn't the best choice here.

Jul 20, 2013 at 08:58 PM
CW100
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A Hawaiian destination wedding ( 21 images )

Hawaii is perfect for weddings - great set of images

Jul 21, 2013 at 10:47 AM
canerino
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · A Hawaiian destination wedding ( 21 images )

Jon Mark,

I think this is a very 'pretty' wedding for sure. Colors look great, the tonality of your BW work is very nice, and the people are generally flattered! All of these are good things!

I also like your brief presentation. I get a good sense of who you are as a photographer and I think you've identified your brand of images and I like what I read above (about blogging images that excite you).

I am left wanting for 'moments' in this set. It feels rather empty to me. I didnt get a sense of who was there or what the venue looked like. There just doesnt seem to be a whole lot of context which leads to a lack of 'story' if you will. I think if you combine your sense of pretty shots with more images like this:

you'll be a complete package.

Jul 22, 2013 at 12:39 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password