Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · Storing your files

Image Group
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Storing your files

So this week I had my second catastrophic drive failure in a year. Both drives were Western Digital. Other than going with Drobo, Cloud or Buffalo NAS system what is everyone doing and what drives do you feel have the best longevity. If you're wondering they were both Western Digital Green Caviar 3 TB drives.

Jul 19, 2013 at 08:06 PM
jeraldcook
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Storing your files

After having several Hitachi's and a WD Green fail on me I've switched mainly to WD Black drives. The raid setup in my desktop are Seagates, which is my first experience with those HDDs, and they seem to be healthy so far.

Jul 19, 2013 at 08:25 PM
SGallant
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Storing your files

I just had a 6 month old Seagate drive crash on me, and 1 a couple of years ago. And it was awesome how even though the drive was only 6 months old they were just like hahaha data is on you. And I had no idea how crazy expensive data recover was until I needed it. Thank goodness for PPA. Sadly it appears HDD quality just seems to be crap these days.

Whatever you do, do it at least twice. I now have a pair of 4 TB NASs setup to mirror each other. Not only don't I trust a single drive any longer, I don't trust a single piece of hardware either.

Jul 19, 2013 at 08:40 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Storing your files

Image Group wrote:
what is everyone doing

You're asking about storage of completed weddings? Backup your RAWs and edited JPEGs?

Jul 19, 2013 at 08:40 PM
joosay
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Storing your files

A month ago I bought QNAP NAS 5-bay. It only has two drives in there right now, 3tb each running in raid 1.

I also have another external drive connected to my laptop via eSata with a no stall batch file constantly running so that it doesn't have that annoying delay.

My file flow:

Import files to laptop. Work on files. Finished with files. Files --> external drive.

Every 3-4 days, external drive --> NAS.

Soon I am going to attempt to setup Crashplan on my NAS.

Jul 19, 2013 at 08:58 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Storing your files

I would suggest (at minimum) a work drive (preferably SSD) and a "data" drive internally. Current work should be on the SSD and regularly copied to the data drive. (I copy updated catalogs and RAWs to the data drive every time I close LR)

Then, I would also suggest (again, at minimum) a third "external" drive (USB3, TB, whatever) that is a clone of your "data" drive. I would regularly (your choice of how often) "echo" the data drive to the external, and keep the external in a fireproof safe on premises.

Once you have all that in place, create a 4th external that is a clone of the data/3rd, and keep it in completely different location. (bank vault) Swap the 3rd & 4th out on a regular schedule. (weekly at minimum)

This is pretty much what I do. It's probably the most basic plan that simply works.

Like joosay, I plan to setup an "online" backup at some point that will echo my "data" drive constantly.

Jul 19, 2013 at 09:03 PM
SGallant
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Storing your files

amonline wrote:
I would suggest (at minimum) a work drive (preferably SSD) and a "data" drive internally. Current work should be on the SSD and regularly copied to the data drive. (I copy updated catalogs and RAWs to the data drive every time I close LR)

Then, I would also suggest (again, at minimum) a third "external" drive (USB3, TB, whatever) that is a clone of your "data" drive. I would regularly (your choice of how often) "echo" the data drive to the external, and keep the external in a fireproof safe on premises.

Once you have all that in place, create
...Show more

You could simplify this and instead of swapping out the 3rd with the 4th, just have the third replicated to offsite. My NAS has built in software to sync the two.

Jul 19, 2013 at 09:09 PM
maxwell1295
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Storing your files

I have 2 internal data drives and 2 external drives (we'll call those 3 and 4) that I rotate offsite, swapping them out when I have new work to back up. I also keep full finished JPEGs on Zenfolio and use Backblaze as a 6th backup.

Jul 19, 2013 at 09:48 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Storing your files

SGallant wrote:
You could simplify this and instead of swapping out the 3rd with the 4th, just have the third replicated to offsite. My NAS has built in software to sync the two.

Yea, that was the last thing I said.

Jul 19, 2013 at 11:04 PM
tobicus
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Storing your files

You guys are super detailed. I just roll with the CF cards, laptop drive, and the external. Once the disc is with clients, I wipe the original files from the cards and just hold on to the full sized edited files.

Jul 19, 2013 at 11:09 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

SGallant
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Storing your files

amonline wrote:
Yea, that was the last thing I said.

My bad not familiar with the product then.

Jul 19, 2013 at 11:11 PM
MRomine
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Storing your files

Image Group wrote:
So this week I had my second catastrophic drive failure in a year. Both drives were Western Digital. Other than going with Drobo, Cloud or Buffalo NAS system what is everyone doing and what drives do you feel have the best longevity. If you're wondering they were both Western Digital Green Caviar 3 TB drives.

What kind of housing were they in? Fan cooled or not?

Jul 19, 2013 at 11:15 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Storing your files

tobicus wrote:
You guys are super detailed.

That's what I was thinking. They make it way too hard.

Jul 19, 2013 at 11:41 PM
SGallant
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Storing your files

D. Diggler wrote:
That's what I was thinking. They make it way too hard.

When was the last time you had a critical data loss?

Jul 19, 2013 at 11:42 PM
JanetG
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Storing your files

after one server just failed...I bought a sinology 412+ and loaded it with 4-3tb drives. that should do me for a while. although...I only have 24% free space.

Jul 19, 2013 at 11:58 PM
flash
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Storing your files

For finished stuff I have three copies. 1 local. 1 at my parents and one at my shooting partners place. I use different brand drives in the same capacitiy to avoid bad batches. Working files are on two local drives plus a set of off site raws that we make during the reception. These are deleted once finished and the three backups are done. Sounds more complicated than it is.

Gordon

Jul 20, 2013 at 12:29 AM
mci2727
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Storing your files

amonline is on the right track. To even consider not having proper backup in place AT ALL TIMES (ie if you dump the files and the HD fails that night, is it backed up at least two other places?) is just reckless and asking to get screwed.
Off sight is a must as well, people love to steal camera/computer equipment, fires love to burn it and floods love to soak it.
Preparation is the only option if you want to be a professional.

Jul 20, 2013 at 01:34 AM
mirrorrim
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Storing your files

I dump everything onto an external drive and it is backed up automatically in the cloud with Crashplan. I actually had 1 HDD fail no more than 1 week after finishing a month long upload of all my files to Crashplan!

Once I've finished editing a wedding, I only keep the RAWs and corresponding jpgs I delivered to the client.

Jul 20, 2013 at 02:07 AM
Image Group
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Storing your files

I use a Mac Pro, I also want to point out that I'm a full time photojournalist and I shoot everyday not just weddings which translates to having a tremendous archive. I have well over 25 TB of files. I know with todays file size that's bordering on nothing really but My largest files are from my trusty old school 5D. I also shoot quite a bit of professional sports with a Mark III. My last failure happened as I was trying to pull from my archives for a Sports Illustrated request. You NEVER leave them hanging or waiting. Back to the point... With a Mac Pro I have 4 bay drives available and would like to find what everyone feels are the most stable drives on the market. I personally wouldn't know where to begin or even how to research that myself. I'm not computer challenged I just need to find hard data instead of marketing data. Thank everyone for your input. Oh, one more thing for the Macsters out there, can you hot swap the drives in the Mac Pro?

Jul 20, 2013 at 06:37 PM
Daboyle
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Storing your files

I have 8 WD 2 TB black drives in a raid 5 array and have been running them for about 2.5 years now as my working drive system with no hiccups whatsoever, pretty much on 60% of the day if the computer isnt in sleep. Ive had Seagates, Hitachi's and Samsung drives all fail on me in that time frame as well, but the WD black's are going strong. Perhaps it also has something to do with a motherboard + software controller vs a high end Areca PCIE raid controller?

Jul 20, 2013 at 08:19 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password