Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

BRNO dehumidifying lens and body caps

Trey45

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · BRNO dehumidifying lens and body caps

I'm new here, if this has been covered already I apologize. I looked through the search feature and found nothing.

I live in a very humid environment, a swamp as a matter of fact. I have ordered these caps from B&H as of today. Has anyone used them here? The few user reviews that I read on B&H were positive, just curious if there might be some more real world reviews here on this forum.

My main concerns are condensation when going from a cool air conditioned house to 95 degrees and 80% humidity outside in the summer. I normally leave my camera in it's bag(I keep 2 of the 3 inch desiccant packs in there) and let it acclimate to the outdoor conditions before shooting, but sometimes there's something that just has to be shot and shot right now!

Jul 19, 2013 at 07:37 PM
LightShow
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · BRNO dehumidifying lens and body caps

Like desiccant packs they become less effective once they are exposed to air that has any humidity in it, I would use ziplock bags and desiccant packs (which you can recharge by warming them up in an oven on low heat) for transitioning and in the field use.

For storage, I would warm the lenses before taking them outside, that should eliminate fogging, a cabinet that uses low heat(light bulb) to lower humidity would work well, you just have to make sure that humidity levels don't get too low.

Jul 19, 2013 at 08:19 PM
Trey45

p.1 #3 · BRNO dehumidifying lens and body caps

Can I safely assume the reason for not wanting too low humidity is to prevent lubricants from drying/becoming less effective?

Jul 19, 2013 at 08:23 PM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · BRNO dehumidifying lens and body caps

Put the camera in a plastic bag in the house and keep the camera in the plastic bag while it acclimates.

One of my closets stays warmer than the rest of the place. When it is hot and humid outside, I keep the camera there. That avoids the condensation problem.

Keep the camera where a/c does not blow directly on it.

Jul 19, 2013 at 08:28 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jcolwell
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · BRNO dehumidifying lens and body caps

The condensation comes from water vapour in the air, and so keeping the lens in a plastic bag while it warms up works very well to eliminate condensation on the lens. Same goes when you're shooting outside in the cold and then bring your gear into a warm place, like your house.

Desiccants are used to control humidity in storage, and so reduce the chance that something bad will start to grow in the lenses, i.e. fungus. It's often very humid here in Nova Scotia, and so I store my lenses in a dry cabinet. The dry cabinet contains desiccant material, humidity sensors, and a small heater that dries out the desiccant when it becomes saturated. The humid air exhaust from the heater is vented to the outside of the cabinet. It's simple, relatively inexpensive, and very effective.

Jul 19, 2013 at 08:33 PM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · BRNO dehumidifying lens and body caps

Trey45 wrote:
Can I safely assume the reason for not wanting too low humidity is to prevent lubricants from drying/becoming less effective?

No. Maybe this was true 50 yrs ago, but modern lubricants don't separate out like greases, and the don't dry out.

THere is pretty much no such thing as humidity that is too low. 3% humidity may dry you out, but it won't hurt your camera. In fact, low humidity prevents the growth of mold and fungi.

Jul 19, 2013 at 08:37 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · BRNO dehumidifying lens and body caps

Zeiss: Fungus on Lenses

Quote: "Reduce the relative humidity to less than 60% (never under 30% as it is dangerous for the instrument)..."

Jim: where did you source a drying cabinet in Canada? While I haven't looked seriously, didn't find much during casual searches awhile ago. But there seemed to be a lot of options if living in SE Asia.

Jul 19, 2013 at 09:02 PM
Trey45

p.1 #8 · BRNO dehumidifying lens and body caps

I've been using a gunsafe with a goldenrod dehumidifier for storage. I will try the plastic bag idea for transitioning to humid outdoor shooting. Thanks for the help and advice!

Jul 19, 2013 at 09:16 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password