Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

Archive 2013 · Planning to ditch your DSLR for full frame EVIL?

philip_pj
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Planning to ditch your DSLR for full frame EVIL?

I take XL gloves every time and have no trouble holding an RX1 or Leica M with more than acceptable security. I doubt 'pros' are self-selected large hand types of people.

One place a DLSR is 'better' is if you sustain a bump, they are less likely to slip from your grasp.

Ergonomics is as much about the texture and feel of the material, hence most owners of smaller cameras use 'cases' of various kinds. Nikon DSLRs feel like you have picked up a slab of month old fudge, all that sticky rubber. Nothing beats 'leather'.

Maybe MILCs will sprout small right end grips to complete the ergo picture.

Jul 22, 2013 at 10:41 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Planning to ditch your DSLR for full frame EVIL?

Lee Saxon wrote:
The ergonomic comfort thing is very subjective/personal.

If the NEX-7 grip fits your hand perfectly, you have very small hands. Until you said that, I didn't know anyone considered the little bitty bump on the front of the NEX-7 sufficient (or even really a grip!). My hands are a bit too large for the D700 and I would've preferred a D3 if I'd had the money.

Kezeka's comments make more sense when you know that his hands are more like mine than yours.

my hands are obviously different from yours but i think you must hold cameras differently than me too. lots of people seem to have issues with not having their pinky on the NEX-7 grip when they hold it, but i don't even really use my ring finger most of the time. the grip sits perfectly between the fleshy part of the palm at the base of the my thumb and my middle finger while my ring finger and pinky hang out under the camera. the nikon D3 grip is too small for my hands, or more specifically the grip is to short for my fingers. i've had this problem with all pro nikon cameras, my finger tips hit the flat part of the front of the camera and there is no comfortable way for me to rest the length of my fingers on the grip. both cameras hang comfortably from my middle and ring fingers when i'm not shooting though.

for what it's worth, i have long slender fingers and medium sized hands. medium sized gloves fit my hands, but the fingers are too short.

Jul 22, 2013 at 10:47 PM
ulrikft2
• • • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Planning to ditch your DSLR for full frame EVIL?

Lee Saxon wrote:
The ergonomic comfort thing is very subjective/personal.

If the NEX-7 grip fits your hand perfectly, you have very small hands. Until you said that, I didn't know anyone considered the little bitty bump on the front of the NEX-7 sufficient (or even really a grip!). My hands are a bit too large for the D700 and I would've preferred a D3 if I'd had the money.

Kezeka's comments make more sense when you know that his hands are more like mine than yours.

I have a size 10-10.5 hand, giant slabs of meat, I find the Nex-7 perfectly ergonomical It is all about how you like to hold your cameras.

Jul 23, 2013 at 03:35 AM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Planning to ditch your DSLR for full frame EVIL?

Not being much of a 'joiner,' I'll likely be a little late to the MILC/EVIL party, and will almost certainly continue to shoot whatever older equipment I have laying about.

Will likely wait for the 'right' FF EVIL to come alone.
Need/want a camera that will make proper use of all my old FD glass.

Edited on Jul 23, 2013 at 05:53 AM · View previous versions

Jul 23, 2013 at 05:49 AM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Planning to ditch your DSLR for full frame EVIL?

That grip on the front of the NEX 6/7 is hardly itty bitty, in my view (compared to all the other mirrorless cameras); I have medium size hands and all fingers up to the first joints fit well—I acknowledge that I do have the Buchanan grip fitted too, which gives the little finger a landing place as well that also helps.

Jul 23, 2013 at 05:50 AM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Planning to ditch your DSLR for full frame EVIL?

OwlsEyes wrote:
If you spend most of your time photographing wildlife or sports, the EVIL systems offer too little when it comes to optics. While I have an X100 for casual street photography and quick travel snaps, my primary focus (no pun intended) is nature, wildlife and landscapes. Until Sony, Olympus or Fuji address the need for long and fast glass, EVIL just looks pretty, but that's about it for me... thus I voted #1

Sony already has answered this, the answer is the LA-EA2 and A mount glass. As soon as Olympus addresses the AF issue with adapted 4/3rds lenses they will have an answer too (and that answer is rumoured to be coming later this year)

There is zero advantage to having long/fast glass be native to the mirrorless mounts. Far better that these expensive and low-production lenses be shared with their DSLR mounts and a decent AF solution provided (at a minimum it keeps cost down by spreading sales across two platforms). It's not like an E mount 70-400/4-5.6 or 500/4 will be any smaller than the A mount version.

Frankly, if you do shoot wildlife & sports, you aren't gaining much from going mirrorless, the size & weight loss on the body is marginal when counted alongside the huge & heavy lenses you typically use. The biggest win is for the occasional long-lens user like myself, where 90% of the shooting is with wide to moderate tele glass where the mirrorless size advantage shows and occasional long-lens use occurs. And in that case adapted lenses are quite functional, although I do hope for decent PDAF performance with 4/3rds glass to come quickly so I can justify getting a 50-200/2.8-3.5 SWD.

Edited on Jul 23, 2013 at 07:19 AM · View previous versions

Jul 23, 2013 at 07:17 AM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Planning to ditch your DSLR for full frame EVIL?

sebboh wrote:
my hands are obviously different from yours but i think you must hold cameras differently than me too. lots of people seem to have issues with not having their pinky on the NEX-7 grip when they hold it, but i don't even really use my ring finger most of the time. the grip sits perfectly between the fleshy part of the palm at the base of the my thumb and my middle finger while my ring finger and pinky hang out under the camera. the nikon D3 grip is too small for my hands, or more specifically the grip is
...Show more

Pretty much the same for me with the NEX-7, except I have medium/large hands but stubby slim fingers.

Jul 23, 2013 at 07:18 AM
dblight
• •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Planning to ditch your DSLR for full frame EVIL?

Kit Laughlin wrote:
That grip on the front of the NEX 6/7 is hardly itty bitty, in my view (compared to all the other mirrorless cameras); I have medium size hands and all fingers up to the first joints fit well—I acknowledge that I do have the Buchanan grip fitted too, which gives the little finger a landing place as well that also helps.

You need to pick and handle the GH3, Many people like it because it fits in-between most other mirror less and DSLR's. I love the size and weight. Decent glass to.I like my Nex-7 also. If it could shoot video with out the limitations and overheating issues, I would keep it. But I'm really liking my GH3. Had the big Canons & Nikon's,
I'm done with big cameras. .

Jul 23, 2013 at 07:24 AM
OwlsEyes
• • • • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Planning to ditch your DSLR for full frame EVIL?

mawz wrote:
Sony already has answered this, the answer is the LA-EA2 and A mount glass. As soon as Olympus addresses the AF issue with adapted 4/3rds lenses they will have an answer too (and that answer is rumoured to be coming later this year)

There is zero advantage to having long/fast glass be native to the mirrorless mounts. Far better that these expensive and low-production lenses be shared with their DSLR mounts and a decent AF solution provided (at a minimum it keeps cost down by spreading sales across two platforms). It's not like an E mount 70-400/4-5.6 or 500/4 will be
...Show more

Thanks for your response. I actually do think there is an advantage to a wildlife and nature shooter if the "right" mirrorless were to be introduced. If you travel a lot, as I do, the mass of carrying three SLR's is pretty significant. I just returned from Costa Rica where my wife and I hiked no less than 40 miles during 14 days. Much of this hiking was uphill (at least one way) to access regions of the primary forests. With 70-90% humidity and 80 deg F, I would have loved to carry lighter cameras. Sure my 300 f2.8 would still be big and bulky, but if I could have shed the mass of my SLR's my back wouldn't hurt so much today. Additionally, rather than using my current wide-angle zooms, I'd gladly shoot the small Zeiss, Sony, Olympus or Fuji lenses for my landscape work.

Mirrorless has promise, but the af systems and compatibility with long fast optics needs to be improved.
I've been hunting the web for anyone who is doing serious wildlife work with a Nex or OMD, but have yet to see much that has impressed me. If any of you know a few good links, please post them.
cheers,
bruce

Jul 23, 2013 at 09:38 AM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.