New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Nexus 7 vs iPad mini

ISO1600
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Nexus 7 vs iPad mini

the connection for the charge/data is the last thing i'd worry about in making this decision.

One thing I would take into account, that i am not sure of yet- does the new Nexus 7 even support USB OTG? I know the Nexus 4 doesn't, and that has pissed a bunch of people off (myself included). I used to occaisionally use my Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 7 to pull files in the field, and with the right apps it is a very convenient way to pull/backup/upload lots of images.
If i was in the market for (another) small tablet, the Nexus 7 (2013) would be it, far and away. So far ahead of the competition, and such a good value at <$300.

Aug 02, 2013 at 08:45 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Nexus 7 vs iPad mini

ISO1600 wrote:
the connection for the charge/data is the last thing i'd worry about in making this decision.

why?, if (as one of my kids kindles) you forever having to look to see if its actually charging then its not going to be a joy to own and use .
if as pointed out though the new nexus supports wirelss charging that may well reduce that issue .

Aug 02, 2013 at 09:38 AM
dlaurin10
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Nexus 7 vs iPad mini

My wife's nexus 7 is on its way to the repair center for the third time in eight months, same problem every time with a corrupted boot loader and can't recover the factory default image after the boot loader crashes.

Sep 23, 2013 at 10:18 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Nexus 7 vs iPad mini

I've owned both the old generation and new generation Nexus 7, and have three coworkers who bought them at my recommendation. None have any problems, including the USB connectors. I just did a quick poll, since most of my coworkers are Android users, to see who has problems with their charger, and out of the dozen people who sit near me, one of them broke his charging port when he dropped his phone. The rest have never had a bad port - myself included, through 6 phones in my household over the last 6 years.

I think the "problems" with micro USB are wildly overblown. Partly, I'm sure, because it doesn't feel hugely robust - and you get (with all due respect) comments like "I agree that Micro USB is bad. I mean, I haven't had any problems. But it doesn't feel good."

Of course, wireless charging is far better. Who wants to plug something in when you can just drop it on a mat?

Sep 24, 2013 at 07:17 AM
wuxiekeji
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Nexus 7 vs iPad mini

bushwacker wrote:
okay guys.... I am looking for tablet., which of these got better display? I will use it only for showing the pics to my clients....

Nexus 7 or iPad mini?

If you can tolerate a larger size, consider the Nexus 10 as well. It has an amazing high-res screen (marginally better than the iPad) and will certainly deliver more impact than a mini tablet. If you get the Nexus 7, make sure to get the newer high-res version.

Sep 24, 2013 at 01:45 PM
kbarrera
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Nexus 7 vs iPad mini

Although the screen resolution on some androids may be as good or , in some cases better, the Ipad mini, and regular iPads are just plain better. Android apps just plain stink compared to Apple. Most android apps are written for phones and in general are a pain in the ass to use. I have an ipad, an ipad mini and a rooted Kindle Fire which I only use with DSLR controller. Apple pays billions to its app developers while Android app developers are basically on their own.
I can't for life of me understand why anyone would prefer a Android tablet over an ipad !!!

Al

Sep 25, 2013 at 06:04 PM
wuxiekeji
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Nexus 7 vs iPad mini

kbarrera wrote:
I can't for life of me understand why anyone would prefer a Android tablet over an ipad !!!

To each is own.

I prefer Android tablets by far. First, because the marketplace is open -- developers who put in time can have the fruits of their labor made available to the public immediately. Apple has been known to reject some extremely useful things which is sad. Second, because when apps don't do what I want them to do, on Android it's easier for me to edit them and make them do what I want them to do.

I have my own vision of how my electronics should work, and I purchase hardware that give me the tools to realise my own vision -- not force me into one person's authoritarian vision. The fact that apps are not necessarily there yet is irrelevant to me -- Android does a better job at giving me development tools for me to do whatever I want. I buy into platforms, not user experiences. I like designing my own user experience.

Besides that, I happen to make extensive use of Google's services, so Android's default experience also happens to work extremely well for me. Integration with Google services on Apple's products is comparatively poor. Of course not everyone uses Google's services extensively, and again, that's your personal decision.

For you, you're looking for something which gives you a ready-made user experience, which Apple probably does a better job of. Like I said, to each is own.

As for showing photos to clients, I think both platforms would work equally well. This is a relatively simple task and there are hundreds of apps on either platform that can accomplish this.

Sep 26, 2013 at 12:28 PM
kbarrera
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Nexus 7 vs iPad mini

And that is why we have forums. We all have the opportunity to offer our own opinions and yours is appreciated.

Al

Sep 26, 2013 at 02:58 PM
robfactory

p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Nexus 7 vs iPad mini

I used the Samsung Note 10.1 (OR) and 2014. It's a little more, but it also makes it easier to edit photos using photoshop with its wacom screen.

Apr 25, 2014 at 03:24 PM
wordfool
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Nexus 7 vs iPad mini

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
The connection to your PC/Mac : (this is going by old Android phones ive had and current Android Tablets ). this from past experience is a huge fail on the part of the tablet vendors . Past use of samsung's "KIES" made me want to smash everything up .
with my ipad and itunes again i find it just works .

I have the opposite experience. One thing that constantly infuriates me with my ipad is the need to do EVERYTHING through iTunes, which is a truly appalling piece of software IMO, especially for Windows users. My Nexus devices just plug into my computer via USB and instantly show up as drives onto which I can drag whatever I want into whatever folder. That is infinitely more straightforward than having to sync through a piece of rubbish software.

Apr 25, 2014 at 10:15 PM
badtzsan

p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Nexus 7 vs iPad mini

after owning both android and apple, i will still go back to apple....

Apr 26, 2014 at 08:35 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Nexus 7 vs iPad mini

I have an iPad II and a Galaxy Note 3 (Android). They both work fine.

Sign me up in the "I don't like iTunes" column.

Apr 27, 2014 at 07:34 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Nexus 7 vs iPad mini

Happy Nexus 7 user, paired with DSLRController and an OTG USB cable all works just fine. I'm a Google apps/tools user as well, the applehead in the family is my better half, our smartphones are the same. Both of us are IT folks and it helps to live in both worlds

Apr 27, 2014 at 09:45 AM
Herb
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Nexus 7 vs iPad mini

I am 101% iPad....whatever you get! make sure it has Retina display if Apple......big difference......the other thing that I did was with iPad Air I got the largest memory available, 128GB....my 64GB I had filled with photos and apps.......get the most you can afford.

I use CamRanger with my iPad and it is an awesome tool to have. They have the ability to not only have the controlling device but also monitoring...you model can see what you have taken without having to pass the device around.......

Good luck!

Apr 28, 2014 at 06:36 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Nexus 7 vs iPad mini

prattling around with toys is fun isn't it?

Apr 28, 2014 at 06:40 PM
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.