New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Nexus 7 vs iPad mini

bushwacker
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nexus 7 vs iPad mini

okay guys.... I am looking for tablet., which of these got better display? I will use it only for showing the pics to my clients....

Nexus 7 or iPad mini?

Jul 19, 2013 at 05:38 AM
Sami Ruusunen
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nexus 7 vs iPad mini

I find the Nexus 16:9 screen format a bit odd for general 3:2 photos. Nexus screen has bit more resolution and seems to be sharper but if you're using it to display 3:2 photos you lose the resolution advance if you show the full image with black stripes on the sides.

Jul 19, 2013 at 07:27 AM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nexus 7 vs iPad mini

I'm not convinced about the colour reproduction on my Nexus 7, and the absence of a memory card slot could be an issue for some. In general though, I think the Nexus 7 is a total bargain, a great bit of hardware for not a lot of money.

Why a 7 inch rather than 10 inch tablet?

Jul 19, 2013 at 07:56 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nexus 7 vs iPad mini

The biggest problem with the Nexus 7 is that Android still sucks for tablet apps. I've got a 10" Android tablet and an iPad mini, and the app situation isn't even close. Tablet specific apps are available for Android, just in far fewer numbers, but most of them are pretty clunky and look and operate pretty badly. The iPad has so many apps available specifically for it, and it's just a much more usable device. Also, while I prefer the smaller form factor of the mini to a 10" device, the usable screen area on the iPad mini vs the Nexus 7 is simply huge, even though the screens are only about an inch apart in physical size.

I absolutely love my iPad mini, and my Android tablet has been relegated to basically watching movies in the car (for my daughter).

Jul 19, 2013 at 08:09 AM
bushwacker
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nexus 7 vs iPad mini

15Bit wrote:
Why a 7 inch rather than 10 inch tablet?

The reason for this is sometimes I instruct models to pose like this and that by showing a pic from tablet, for portability i think this 7" size is good.

Jul 20, 2013 at 07:40 AM
bushwacker
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nexus 7 vs iPad mini

Jman13 wrote:
The biggest problem with the Nexus 7 is that Android still sucks for tablet apps. I've got a 10" Android tablet and an iPad mini, and the app situation isn't even close. Tablet specific apps are available for Android, just in far fewer numbers, but most of them are pretty clunky and look and operate pretty badly. The iPad has so many apps available specifically for it, and it's just a much more usable device. Also, while I prefer the smaller form factor of the mini to a 10" device, the usable screen area on the iPad mini vs the
...Show more

Jman,

For Apps it's fine I don't need many apps for tablet. what I need is a good screen, just showing my portfolio.

so my question is.... is iPad mini way better than nexus 7's screen?

Jul 20, 2013 at 07:44 AM
bushwacker
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nexus 7 vs iPad mini

Sami Ruusunen wrote:
I find the Nexus 16:9 screen format a bit odd for general 3:2 photos. Nexus screen has bit more resolution and seems to be sharper but if you're using it to display 3:2 photos you lose the resolution advance if you show the full image with black stripes on the sides.

I will keep that in mind 3:2 vs 16:9.... is ipad mini better?

Jul 20, 2013 at 07:47 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nexus 7 vs iPad mini

OK first let me say Im an ipad (the big one) owner and I love it.

Next , Ive had the ipad 2 and upgraded to the ipad 3 .(yes the retina screen is better but not by much .)

now . I will also say im not a great fan of android (had a android phone and my daughter has a motorola xoom 2 10 in tablet) .

But if your debating Nexus v mini then why not add in the Samsung Note 8? the extra memory slot would a big plus when it comes to a photo viewer . micro SD cards are a heck of a lot cheaper than the extra fixed capacity that Apple want to charge you for (likewise the same issue on the nexus) .

and yes the 3:2 v 16:9 is a big deal for images

Jul 20, 2013 at 04:38 PM
Sami Ruusunen
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Nexus 7 vs iPad mini

bushwacker wrote:
I will keep that in mind 3:2 vs 16:9.... is ipad mini better?

Yes I find the iPad screen format better for standard photos since its close to 3:2 (something like 3:2.24)

I don't use iPad mini for customer presentations because the screen size is just too small for multiple people to comfortably watch stuff from it. I find larger size iPads better for that.

Jul 21, 2013 at 09:02 AM
ISO1600
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Nexus 7 vs iPad mini

Nexus 7 has better hardware/display, when it comes to processor/RAM/resolution.
Nexus 7 will also most likely be getting updated THIS WEEK, so hold out if possible. New model will have a STUPID awesome display.

Jul 22, 2013 at 03:48 PM
EOSM

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Nexus 7 vs iPad mini

bushwacker wrote:
okay guys.... I am looking for tablet., which of these got better display? I will use it only for showing the pics to my clients....

Nexus 7 or iPad mini?

Nexus 7 has better resolution and better colors. And there is an android app for free that let's you balance the screens color if it is off.

So Nexus 7

Jul 22, 2013 at 05:54 PM
brett maxwell
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Nexus 7 vs iPad mini

I love my iPad Mini, much more than the large iPads I've owned.

but the new Nexus 7 does look pretty awesome. 1920x1200 resolution, that's the same as my 24" desktop monitor!

If screen alone dictates your choice, I'd get the Nexus, and it helps the price is much less. However if you're going to do more with it than show photos you will want to consider the OS and app stores of each. Most would say Apple leads the way in this regard, but that's certainly debatable and subject to your own personal needs/desires.

Jul 27, 2013 at 12:23 AM
Les Hall
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Nexus 7 vs iPad mini

I had two Nexus 7 and both screens were smashed after a very short fall from my bed after falling asleep whilst reading. I bought an iPad mini and have dropped it a few times with no damage.

I strongly recommend Square Trade warranties - good price, great service.

I really wanted to like the Nexus and there was some stuff I liked a lot, but overall the iPad is a much more polished device. And hey - you want to look like a successful photographer - right?

Jul 29, 2013 at 07:25 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Nexus 7 vs iPad mini

Something else to consider, Samsung has a rumored 12.2" tablet, I know you wanted a smaller tablet, but this thing could be amazing.

Jul 30, 2013 at 11:52 AM
ISO1600
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Nexus 7 vs iPad mini

haha 12.2" tablet sounds like a disaster.

Jul 30, 2013 at 12:19 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Nexus 7 vs iPad mini

@1920×1200. The new Nexus 7 with a pixel density of 323ppi blows the retina out of any ipad. Let alone the 163ppi ipad mini.

SD card be damn. Use cloud. Or buy one of those OTG cable and hook up a high speed external drive. Instant 1TB access.

iOS 7 is still playing catch up to Jelly Bean. Who are we kidding. Grids of icons everywhere. <shivers> This is not 2005 anymore....
It's not so much about apps availability these days. Both Google Play and App Store have a staggering amount of apps. It's more like how flexible and agile is the mobile OS that you can customize. If I want a cookie cutter townhome and happy with a Corolla SE, I will be satisfied with iOS devices. But I like custom homes (and cars) and have tasted that feeling.... It's called freedom.

Personally I'd just get a Nexus 10 because great photos need to be displayed big and bright for the WOW factor.

Jul 31, 2013 at 03:50 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Nexus 7 vs iPad mini

ISO1600 wrote:
haha 12.2" tablet sounds like a disaster.

Why's that? Great for displaying photos, watching movies, photo editing. I could see it being a small portable workstation.

Aug 01, 2013 at 11:24 AM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Nexus 7 vs iPad mini

BenV wrote:
Why's that? Great for displaying photos, watching movies, photo editing. I could see it being a small portable workstation.

I agree with ISO1600. When a tablet gets to that sort of size you might as well just take a proper laptop with you.

Aug 01, 2013 at 12:53 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Nexus 7 vs iPad mini

OK I'll chime in again

Android
- at least its sort of grown up. if you stay with the market leaders (Nexus / galaxy etc) then in all likely hood you will be able to stay upto date and things will work as they should . But having been bitten by stuff that plain just does not function like it should , ie my daughters Xoom 2 even with the most upto date version of android (i think its JB) is still pretty crappy . Ive had an Ipad since ipad 2 came out (now have a 3) and it just plain WORKS for just about anything I want it to do (other than a few apple centric hamstrings they still carry on with) .

I would be interested in the nexus 7 or the Note 8 as a small tablet . but from what Ive seen android and 10" tablets still dont fly well.

Cloud : Ipad suffers this as well
dont make me laugh . it still dont work (no matter what the vendors say) and for the forseeable future in most of the world wont . an included memory card slot should be in ALL tablets .

The connection to your PC/Mac : (this is going by old Android phones ive had and current Android Tablets ). this from past experience is a huge fail on the part of the tablet vendors . Past use of samsung's "KIES" made me want to smash everything up .
with my ipad and itunes again i find it just works .

Micro USB v 30pin and lightning connections: this for me is the single biggest Fail when it comes to non Apple tabs/phones . I find Micro USB to be the single worst charger/data connection possible . lets face it you charge these things up daily and the connection is just not robust enough . in our house we have at least 10 micro usb devices (phones , kindles etc) and i just seem to always be searching for a charger/cable that stays connected. And its not just me , at work we have a cupboard where we can plug our phones in , and Im always hearing the 'ding' of an android phone thats charging/not charging . usualy cos someone has made the desk vibrate a little bit . also I'll stick the kids kindle fires onto charge at night and in the morning find that at least one has not charged .

Never have an issue with the ipad (30 pin) or my iphone5 (lightning)

Oh and if there is a 12" galaxy tab coming I think id rather have the 13" Lenovo Yoga that I bought my wife last month . in 'Tablet' mode it even makes Windows 8 seem like it makes sense

Aug 01, 2013 at 01:24 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Nexus 7 vs iPad mini

^^ I agree about micro USB to some extent - i have it on my phone and my nexus and i am constantly worried about breaking it when plugging in. Mind, i haven't actually had a problem yet, so it may be more robust than it feels. Personally i miss docking stations. Had one for my HP iPaq and it worked for years and looked a lot better on the desk than a usb cable.

I would note that the new nexus 7 does wireless charging.

Aug 01, 2013 at 01:42 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.