Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Replacing the summicron-r 35mm for what?

mirkoc
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Replacing the summicron-r 35mm for what?

Regarding character, from the few samples I have seen by now, 35/2 IS reminds me of R35/2. I bet the colours with Leica are nicer (I haven't tried any of the two) but Canon is probably sharper in the corners. Together with AF and IS, it could be better allrounder, without being boring. If I had the Summicron, I'd most certainly regret selling it. I am waiting for a direct real world samples comparison.

I am about to compare EF 35/2 (old version), Flektogon, Yashica ML35/2.8, Mamiya 35/3.5 N, and 17-40L. Any hints and 'methodical remarks' to make the best out of it are welcome.

Jul 22, 2013 at 10:03 PM
johnahill
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Replacing the summicron-r 35mm for what?

I need to do some more testing but found some flare with the Sigma, identical shot with the Zeiss 35/2 had no flare.

This is the Sigma 35mm A 1.4

No filters, clean glass etc.

Jul 22, 2013 at 11:05 PM
johnahill
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Replacing the summicron-r 35mm for what?

This is the Zeiss

Jul 22, 2013 at 11:06 PM
Sr.Cordeiro
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Replacing the summicron-r 35mm for what?

mirkoc wrote:
Regarding character, from the few samples I have seen by now, 35/2 IS reminds me of R35/2. I bet the colours with Leica are nicer (I haven't tried any of the two) but Canon is probably sharper in the corners. Together with AF and IS, it could be better allrounder, without being boring. If I had the Summicron, I'd most certainly regret selling it. I am waiting for a direct real world samples comparison.

I am about to compare EF 35/2 (old version), Flektogon, Yashica ML35/2.8, Mamiya 35/3.5 N, and 17-40L. Any hints and 'methodical remarks' to make the best out
...Show more

That would be interesting, not just for me but I guess a lot of alt users would like to see thar comparison.

I think that a good approach would be to find a very detailed scene photographed at a distance at the various apertures, being careful to manual focus on the exact same spot with every lens.
Some bokeh shots would be great too, and even greater if not exagerated (with the object in focus very close), something more "real life" like a half-body or full-body portrait distance would be perfect.

johnahill - Thanks for the comparison. I've not consider the anti-flare performance until now. It might be important since I do some night photography.

Jul 23, 2013 at 10:41 AM
timballic
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Replacing the summicron-r 35mm for what?

Ah, but you get bird multiplication with the Sigma

Jul 23, 2013 at 01:26 PM
B Landau
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Replacing the summicron-r 35mm for what?

artur5 wrote:
Being a bit iconoclast and against my general dislike of zooms, I would consider also the Contax Vario-Sonnar 35-70/3.4, if a relatively low speed isn't a deal breaker. Currently, prices of units in good shape are very reasonable.
Of course it's bulkier than most 35 primes slower than f/1.4 but the sharpness is astonishing already full open at the center, Corners need to stop down to f/5.6.
I'm pretty sure that the V. Sonnar 35-70 outperforms both the Elmarit 35 and the Distagon 35/2.8 ( except at f/2.8 )

Interesting ... I sold my CY 35-70/3.4 in favor of a 35 Summicron and 50 Summicron and have never looked back. My main complaint about the 35-70 was that for landscape phototgraphy I was not getting as much depth of focus (for a given aperture setting) as I would get with the primes.

Jul 23, 2013 at 07:39 PM
JimUe
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Replacing the summicron-r 35mm for what?

Leica 28/2.8?

Jul 23, 2013 at 08:46 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

neilsdan

p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Replacing the summicron-r 35mm for what?

If you are serious about selling I may be interested! (with a few caveats!)

I am also pondering the best way to go. I have a 90 Summicron adapted for Nikon. (used to use Zeiss 85/1,4 and 35 2,0 on canon).

Ever since the Samyang 35 1,4 the Zeiss 35 2,0 seems to have dropped in price (as low as 600 sometimes), which makes it tempting.

Leica is prone to flaring (due to the older coatings). As JimUe pointed out, the Leica R 28 2,8 is supposed to be a fantastic Landscape lens, but is rare/priced accordingly.

I am looking into the Zeiss 25 2,0 but for you that may have too weak of corners unless stopped down, and obviously a different focal length. There are a handful of comparisons between this and the Leica 28 Elmarit.

Aug 06, 2013 at 12:39 AM
michael49
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Replacing the summicron-r 35mm for what?

If you care about size/weight then the new Canon 35mm f/2 IS is the way to go in my view.

I own the ZE 35 f/2 which I love, but its a beast of a lens.

The Sigma 35 f/1.4 is a very good lens, but if you never shoot faster than f/2.8 then it doesn't make much sense to me, plus its fairly large/heavy.

Aug 06, 2013 at 01:07 AM
kiankim

p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Replacing the summicron-r 35mm for what?

neilsdan wrote:
Leica is prone to flaring (due to the older coatings)

neilsdan, I never found my copy for Summicron 35mm to be prone to flaring.

I find that flare is not a problem at all and the built-in hood helps in that regard even more.
Its possibly the best flare-resisting lens I have used so far, and its a joy to use.

Aug 06, 2013 at 02:00 AM
Krosavcheg
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Replacing the summicron-r 35mm for what?

freaklikeme wrote:
If you want to stick with Leica, the Elmarit is best across the frame of the R 35's.

Strictly for landscape, I would take a look at the Mamiya 35/3.5 N. There shouldn't be any corner problems there.

I found my C35N to be unacceptably soft and especially in the corners.

Aug 06, 2013 at 10:11 AM
AhamB
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Replacing the summicron-r 35mm for what?

For a lower budget, the Samyang/Rokinon 35/1.4 probably offers the best performance (very good corner sharpness). If you can afford the Sigma 35/1.4, you could also look at the Zeiss 35/2 of course.

Aug 06, 2013 at 01:44 PM
wuxiekeji
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Replacing the summicron-r 35mm for what?

If you're looking for sharpness, I find the Samyang 35/1.4 hard to beat. Good copies have been known to beat the Zeiss 35/1.4 when shooting charts wide open. But of course, nobody is shooting charts; it IS very clinical and doesn't have much character to it. It's great for things like product photography in a light box and 35mm landscapes where everything is at infinity; poor for environmental portraits or any other place where you are stressing bokeh quality.

One thing really annoying about the Samyang is that it is not calibrated to hard stop at infinity, it hard stops at a point well past infinity. This isn't fantastic if you're shooting night scapes and want to rely on hard stops to get your focus correct.

Aug 06, 2013 at 05:29 PM
       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password