New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · ssd's the big three debate

Ve3hbj

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · ssd's the big three debate

Hi there I've asked this question on a mac forum and its returned quite useless information. I am running several mac's so switching is not an option. however my mid 10 mac book pro's hd is beginning to ping and vibrate heavily leading me to think its about to fail. I am interested in upgrading to an SSD and if I'm going to the trouble I'd like to increase capacity, and do the ram while I'm at it. its been many years since I've looked at hardware (much longer than my 2010 machine) and at that time the "only brand to trust" was kingston in ram and hard drives. today kingston seems to be a leader in the thumb drive market but have only a small selection of very expensive drives and ram. however there are many numerous names I've never heard of before making both drives and ram. as I live in canada Im not too keen on importing drives and ram as I will get dinged for duty and brokerage fees etcetera amounting to likely the difference between buying at a store here and buying online from a us retailer. I'm weary of buying from over the pond due to the possibility of knockoffs. does any one have any experience with crucial memory or drives in particular their 480gb ssd kit and their 4gb 1066mghz 204pin dimm's. can anyone recommend an online canadian store, or possibly gta, guelph, kw, hamilton etc. store that carries "name brand" or well trusted brands of ram and ssd hd's that might beat the prices at some of the chains like the s-store, fs-store, bb-store, etc. I haven't looked at the so-store yet as since its not rat shack any more Im not as trusting of their products.

Thanks B

Jul 18, 2013 at 11:15 PM
Albino_BlacMan
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · ssd's the big three debate

Look at Newegg.ca for the best prices on Computer stuff. You can read reviews there (many items have 100+ reviews so you get a good idea of whats what).

I have crucial RAM and a crucial SSD. They booth seem to work well.

Jul 19, 2013 at 12:03 AM
Dave_EP
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · ssd's the big three debate

Ve3hbj wrote:
I'm weary of buying from over the pond due to the possibility of knockoffs. does any one have any experience with crucial memory or drives in particular their 480gb ssd kit and their 4gb 1066mghz 204pin dimm's.
Thanks B

I have Crucial SSDs in my MacPro and MacBookPro, my son has them in his windows PC. Not one problem, ever.

I have Crucial DDR3 ram in my MacBookPro (taking it to 16GB), MacMini (taking it to 16GB) and my wife's iMac (to 8GB). No problems at all.

We've also use upgraded a early 2009 Mac Mini from it's default 2GB (from Apple) to 8GB (it's max) using Crucial 4GB sticks. No problems at all.

I've also used Crucial ram in PCs. No problems at all.

If you are weary of knock offs, buy then direct from the crucial web site (which is what I've always done for the ram).

Crucial is typically the first place I look. Kingston has had problems for me in the past

Jul 19, 2013 at 03:33 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · ssd's the big three debate

I have 2 identical 2006 C2D MBPs that are used for various things. I put an OWC high-end SSD in one and a Sandisk Ultra+ in the other. Both are good *but* the one w/ the OWC drive has this tendency to simply 'stall' for about 15 seconds 1x-2x a day. I dont really want to rip it out and the machine isn't used that much anymore (replaced w/ an MBA) but it may be related to disk 'swapping' since I run a fair amount of applications and the machines have only 3G of real RAM. The machine w/ the Sandisk (used in my office) never does that. Firmware is up to date on everything.

Jul 19, 2013 at 05:43 AM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · ssd's the big three debate

Nothing wrong with Crucial RAM - I only buy that or Corsair for my PC's and never had a problem.

As for SSD's, they are all much of a muchness nowadays. I'll don't think it matters who you buy from - you'll get a decent drive with similar performance from all manufacturers.

Jul 19, 2013 at 07:49 AM
jimmy462
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · ssd's the big three debate

15Bit wrote:
Nothing wrong with Crucial RAM - I only buy that or Corsair for my PC's and never had a problem.

As for SSD's, they are all much of a muchness nowadays. I'll don't think it matters who you buy from - you'll get a decent drive with similar performance from all manufacturers.

Hi 15-bit, etal,

Agreed, the market/product churn on "performance" electronics is fast afoot. What you bought two years ago quickly outpaced what you bought four years ago, and was quickly outpaced by what you bought today. A recent comparative of some current SSDs and their older counterparts...

Best SSD: 10 of the top SSDs on test: Verdict | News | TechRadar:
http://www.techradar.com/us/news/computing-components/storage/best-ssd-10-of-the-top-ssds-on-test-994095/3#articleContent

My recommendation to the OP is...if all your doing is bringing some new life to your 2010 rig, then pretty much any of the current crop SSDs will soup-up your ride. Shop your best price, install your drive and go and enjoy some "me" time.

Jimmy G

Jul 19, 2013 at 08:46 AM
DanBrown
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · ssd's the big three debate

You should take a look at www.macsales.com. They are Mac experts when it comes to hard drives and SSD's.

Jul 19, 2013 at 11:54 AM
butchM
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · ssd's the big three debate

DanBrown wrote:
You should take a look at www.macsales.com. They are Mac experts when it comes to hard drives and SSD's.

+1 ... they stand behind their products if you ever have a problem under warranty ... been doing business with them since 1995 ... I've never been disappointed with their customer service.

Jul 19, 2013 at 12:32 PM
tama01

[X]
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · ssd's the big three debate

Ve3hbj wrote:
can anyone recommend an online canadian store, or possibly gta, guelph, kw, hamilton etc. store that carries "name brand" or well trusted brands of ram and ssd hd's that might beat the prices at some of the chains like the s-store, fs-store, bb-store, etc. I haven't looked at the so-store yet as since its not rat shack any more Im not as trusting of their products.

Thanks B

Samsung 840 Pro and OCZ Vector lines of SSD are well regarded as top performers over anything else. According to benchmark tests, they both perform about the same, but OCZ is more expensive, so I would buy Samsung. For RAM, Samsung and crucial are good choices.

You have NCIX computer store in Canada where you can buy from. I recently bought 7 Samsung 840 Pro 512GB (P/N: MZ-7PD512BW) units from their US store for $434.99 each. They are now listed at $439.99, which is a price I don't think you'll find anywhere else. See link.
http://us.ncix.com/search/?categoryid=0&q=MZ-7PD512BW

Unfortunately, the same drive is selling for $504.99 at their Canadian store. See link.
http://www.ncix.ca/search/?categoryid=0&q=MZ-7PD512BW

Jul 19, 2013 at 01:34 PM
Ve3hbj

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · ssd's the big three debate

Macsales is a great looking site and I've messages them and was very happy with their service sofar with out purchasing anything. The issue I have is importation no one can tell me what customs and brokerage fees are likely to be. The cart I put together there came to 598 with shipping and I put together the closest I could from fs and came to 660 with taxes. I'm guessing they will be really close in the end. It's wether or not I want the Kingston or if the better rated one from macsales.
I'd also like to find it cheeper but that's just being greedy.

Jul 19, 2013 at 01:57 PM
tama01

[X]
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · ssd's the big three debate

I buy from OWC, too. Great company with great products and excellent customer service. I have not used their Solid State drives, but I would choose the Samsung 840 Pro over their top performer Mercury Extreme Pro 6G just for the price alone.

Jul 19, 2013 at 02:20 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.