Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2013 · New puter and workflow

Brian Virts
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · New puter and workflow

Cool thread, I have cache and catalogs on SSD, I plan to put Raw on SSD next year. Glad to see people are getting good results with it.

Jul 19, 2013 at 09:55 AM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · New puter and workflow

I have file structure like Spencer.

With a new PC myself... I cull in LR (flagged) then I remove files (non-flagged) from catalog. Only have the keepers in lightroom.
Flirting with the idea of photo-mechanic.

Cashe is on SSD, catalog on WD-black.

Jul 19, 2013 at 10:32 AM
Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · New puter and workflow

Tony Hoffer wrote:
You're taking an extra step here. Just right click the raw in LR and 'Edit in Photoshop'. Then it will automatically create a 2nd file. When you save, your LR will automatically update.

Tony, I used to do that. But every time I do that, it creates a huge file. Typically when I take it to the photoshop, I am only doing more detailed cloning and skin smoothing. I am not editing color. I should be fine right?

Jul 19, 2013 at 10:38 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · New puter and workflow

If you're only editing 1-2 per job, so what? Use PSD.

Jul 19, 2013 at 10:55 AM
Jamesbjenkins
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · New puter and workflow

Robin Usagani wrote:
Then what after you are done with the wedding? SSD real estate is pretty expensive hah. Do you move it to HDD?

I keep my raws on the SSD while editing. As soon as I'm done they get moved to the internal HDD, copied to the external HDD and the cloud for backup.

My iMac only has a 128GB SSD, so that real estate is precious.

Jul 19, 2013 at 11:29 AM
sboerup
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · New puter and workflow

I import to HD, then cull, and copy the keepers to SSD. Then LR edit, save the .xmp, then copy .xmp back to HD along with catalog. Then the folder on SSD gets deleted.

Jul 19, 2013 at 12:15 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · New puter and workflow

Jeff Simpson wrote:
standby memory is free memory.. you are probably actually only using 6-8GB

That's true about the six to eight gigabytes.

But standby contains images previously loaded into the RAM for faster access if needed. I'm wondering if I went up from 16GB to 32GB of RAM would I be able to have even more images loaded for faster access and if this would benefit me.

Jul 19, 2013 at 04:01 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · New puter and workflow

joelconner wrote:
I do not delete the unused files until I am done with the whole edit. That way, if I am going through and realize I grabbed a frame with bad focus or I am needing a bit more of something, I still have the unpicked ones right there

Joel, the way I handle this is I do delete the files to get them out of the way BUT I have a backup of ALL captured files on another drive so that they are there in the unlikely event I grabbed a frame with bad focus. With this method, you are getting all of the bad files out of the way - and out of your Lightroom catalog - so that you can focus your attention on only the good ones while still having a backup just in case.

Jul 19, 2013 at 04:07 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · New puter and workflow

Robin Usagani wrote:
My new laptop will be here in a couple of weeks.

Is that gonna be Windows 7?

Jul 22, 2013 at 02:24 AM
NYstyles
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · New puter and workflow

sboerup wrote:
Seems like a good workflow, other than I don't trust LR to import straight from card...had it corrupt some files before. I prefer to just copy straight to the drive, then import into LR...I do cull them before import with Photomechanic so that my catalogs are only the keeper files...keeps it speedy as well.

As long as the files are on the SSD while being edited you should be good, if not, I would suggest doing so as it dramatically increases the editing speed of LR.

And because I'm OCD with file segregation, I prefer to put the exported JPGs into their
...Show more

This is how I roll except I cull in LR. I break the files down the same way for all my events/sessions.

Jul 22, 2013 at 06:55 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · New puter and workflow

I don't get you guys that keep all those extra files you create. If you have the RAWs and the catalog/xmps, you can make blog, disk images, jpgs, whatever, etc. in seconds anytime you need them. What the hell's with all the redundant copies in an archive?

I keep the RAWs delivered and the catalog. Sure, I'll keep special layout files like albums and other designed stuff, but that's pretty much it. Blog images are on my site. My site's backed up separately. Delivered images can be output in seconds if I need them... even for prints. No need to keep 100's, perhaps 1,000's, of redundant jpgs and triplicate versions. I've also got a workflow that allows me to create my delivered disk image(s) in about 15-30 minutes. That's the worst thing I'd ever have to face.

It's no wonder you guys eat up harddrives.

Jul 22, 2013 at 11:46 AM
DblDrgn
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · New puter and workflow

sboerup wrote:
I import to HD, then cull, and copy the keepers to SSD. Then LR edit, save the .xmp, then copy .xmp back to HD along with catalog. Then the folder on SSD gets deleted.

I'm going to try moving jobs over to my internal SSD drive to see if it does indeed speed up performance, and will use your method (above) I'm just wondering: what is the advantage of saving the .xmp?

...and, how do you tend to do it? Do you just go to "catalog settings" after editing is finished, and check the box next to "automatically write changes to XMP" ? I thought I heard somewhere that leaving that option checked might slow down performance.

Also, you mention that you delete the folder on the SSD after you've copied it back over to HDD. Isn't this just a tiny bit dangerous, with regard to the possibility of human error and accidental deleting all your edits? I wonder if you have created a fool-proof system to mitigate that liability...

Jul 22, 2013 at 02:22 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · New puter and workflow

If you ever like to open images individually with PS, then xmps can be handy. Otherwise, you can just open the LR catalog and export. (if you must go to PS) xmps are also a type of "backup", as viewed by some. If your catalog ever goes corrupt, then you have the xmp to fall back on. Since most keep backups of their catalogs, this is a redundancy. I've never had a catalog fail on me; but if I did, I'd just pull the catalog from archive. xmps are completely the call of the individual. They're so small, it's a moot point to discuss them. I stopped using them years ago.

Jul 22, 2013 at 03:01 PM
sboerup
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · New puter and workflow

All the "other" files amount to like 2GB of space for me. I'd rather have access to them than have to go back and re-export from LR. Especially if any additional edits were done in PS like blemish removal, or other custom stuff.

An entire wedding "folder" amounts to about 12GB of data for me, so a 2TB drive lasts me ~166 weddings, and I shoot about 10-12 weddings a year. I don't feel like I'm wasting any space at all.

Jul 22, 2013 at 03:20 PM
mjoshi
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · New puter and workflow

amonline wrote:
I would suggest individual catalogs for clients. Keeps things speedy.

+1 - I used to have everything in one catalog but now I've moved out to individual for each shoot and it helps a lot.

I manually create folder under Pictures\Current Work\Shoot Name

Copy everything from Card inside Pictures\Current Work\Shoot Name\RAW Files

Open LR and create New Catalog and point it to create inside Pictures\Current Work\Shoot Name

Once Catalog is created - import all files from RAW File folder into Catalog with 1:1 Rendering. It works relatively fast compared to importing from card into Catalog and making it to copy it to folder.

Other thing, having everything on SSD makes a big difference in rendering for me. Once I'm done with edit I move whole folder to backup drive.

Jul 23, 2013 at 10:18 AM
mjoshi
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · New puter and workflow

Robin Usagani wrote:
Tony, I used to do that. But every time I do that, it creates a huge file. Typically when I take it to the photoshop, I am only doing more detailed cloning and skin smoothing. I am not editing color. I should be fine right?

yes it creates huge file if you do it as .TIFF ( which is default) if you do it as .PSD than it is still ~80-100MB file.

Jul 23, 2013 at 10:26 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · New puter and workflow

mjoshi wrote:
having everything on SSD makes a big difference in rendering for me

That only makes sense: the read and write times are much faster with solid state drive than with hard disk drive.

Jul 23, 2013 at 01:22 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · New puter and workflow

D. Diggler wrote:
Is that gonna be Windows 7?

For anyone here who might be using a solid state drive as a system drive for Windows 7, I'd like to pass along the following tweaks I ran across:

http://www.computing.net/howtos/show/solid-state-drive-ssd-tweaks-for-windows-7/552.html

I have performed most of those tweaks on my own Windows 7 SSD system drives.

Edited on Jul 23, 2013 at 09:36 PM · View previous versions

Jul 23, 2013 at 09:28 PM
Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · New puter and workflow

Sorry. Missed that question. Ill be running Win 8.

Jul 23, 2013 at 09:34 PM
sboerup
• • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · New puter and workflow

D. Diggler wrote:
That only makes sense: the read and write times are much faster with solid state drive than with hard disk drive.

More importantly, the previews (which are really small files) are accessed quicker because of seek times, and drive latency. This is where an SSD is very beneficial with lots of small files.

Jul 23, 2013 at 10:55 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.