Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · New puter and workflow

Robin Usagani
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · New puter and workflow

My new laptop will be here in a couple of weeks. (i7, 16GB DDR3, 480GB SSD, 1TB HDD). I feel like I am starting fresh so I really want to revise my workflow. This is the way I do it right now (only with one 1.5 TB puter):
1. Import photos via. LR. I have 2 settings for import. One is "personal", one is "project". The personal one goes to MyPictures/date/.., The project one goes to MyDocument/Project/date/.. Everything (personal and work) go to the same catalog.
2. Culling with LR. Flag for the ones I like. Delete the ones I know I wont use.
3. Edit using presets. Take it as far as possible as I can and avoid PS.
4. For photos that I feel I need to take it further and use photoshop, I have an export setting "Edit JPG". This will automatically create a high res of this raw file (with the edits), add it to the same library. I then unflag the raw. Then I right click the jpeg and click, edit with Photoshop, edit original.
5. Export high res into "High Resolution" folder within the same folder as the raws. I also do "Low Resolution" with my signature within the same folder.
6. Upload the high resolution to my online gallery.
7. Send low res to client for FB post.

I keep the RAW files for about a year to make sure everything is good. I then delete the RAW and keep high res only.

Now that I have an SSD and secondary internal drive, how would you do it? (I also have external HD for back up) I am also going to create a RAM drive. Maybe install photoshop in it, I am not sure yet.

Comments? Advice?

Thanks peeps!

Jul 19, 2013 at 02:51 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · New puter and workflow

I would suggest individual catalogs for clients. Keeps things speedy.

Jul 19, 2013 at 03:48 AM
sboerup
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · New puter and workflow

Seems like a good workflow, other than I don't trust LR to import straight from card...had it corrupt some files before. I prefer to just copy straight to the drive, then import into LR...I do cull them before import with Photomechanic so that my catalogs are only the keeper files...keeps it speedy as well.

As long as the files are on the SSD while being edited you should be good, if not, I would suggest doing so as it dramatically increases the editing speed of LR.

And because I'm OCD with file segregation, I prefer to put the exported JPGs into their own folder, so that way my client folder looks something like this:

Edited on Jul 19, 2013 at 04:13 AM · View previous versions

Jul 19, 2013 at 04:12 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · New puter and workflow

Robin Usagani wrote:
My new laptop will be here in a couple of weeks. (i7, 16GB DDR3, 480GB SSD, 1TB HDD).

Nice.

I've got 16GB of ram now and notice all 16GB fill up quite fast with "Standby" memory. I wonder if I'd get any benefit by going to 32GB of ram.

Jul 19, 2013 at 04:13 AM
Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.1 #5 · New puter and workflow

Spencer, RAW cache on SSD correct? Or do you think I should put the RAW files on the SSD also? I was not planning on it.

Jul 19, 2013 at 04:19 AM
Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.1 #6 · New puter and workflow

D. Diggler wrote:
Nice.

I've got 16GB of ram now and notice all 16GB fill up quite fast with "Standby" memory. I wonder if I'd get any benefit by going to 32GB of ram.

I would research more about RAM drive/disk.

Jul 19, 2013 at 04:24 AM
photosymbol
• •
p.1 #7 · New puter and workflow

I use SSD as my cache for LR and PS. Works out well, both on my laptop(msata 2nd drive) and desktop.

Jul 19, 2013 at 04:30 AM
sboerup
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · New puter and workflow

Both cache AND the actual RAW file make a big difference, at least it does for me.

Jul 19, 2013 at 05:00 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · New puter and workflow

Robin Usagani wrote:
put the RAW files on the SSD also? I was not planning on it.

I put the RAWs on the SSD. Seems like the way to go.

Jul 19, 2013 at 05:32 AM
Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.1 #10 · New puter and workflow

Then what after you are done with the wedding? SSD real estate is pretty expensive hah. Do you move it to HDD?

Jul 19, 2013 at 05:38 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · New puter and workflow

Robin Usagani wrote:
Then what after you are done with the wedding? SSD real estate is pretty expensive hah. Do you move it to HDD?

Yeah. Move it in from hard drive when it's ready to be edited and move it out to hard drive when it's done.

Jul 19, 2013 at 05:53 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · New puter and workflow

sboerup wrote:
I don't trust LR to import straight from card...had it corrupt some files before. I prefer to just copy straight to the drive, then import into LR...I do cull them before import with Photomechanic so that my catalogs are only the keeper files...keeps it speedy as well.

That's what I do. Copy straight to the drive rather than import into Lightroom. Then cull with Photo Mechanic.

Jul 19, 2013 at 06:00 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · New puter and workflow

Robin Usagani wrote:
For photos that I feel I need to take it further and use photoshop, I have an export setting "Edit JPG" ... I right click the jpeg and click, edit with Photoshop

I edit in Photoshop as TIFF instead of JPEG. JPEG (ideally) is only supposed to be used for final output [such as on a disk of images you'd give to the client], not for editing.

Jul 19, 2013 at 06:09 AM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · New puter and workflow

Robin Usagani wrote:
4. For photos that I feel I need to take it further and use photoshop, I have an export setting "Edit JPG". This will automatically create a high res of this raw file (with the edits), add it to the same library. I then unflag the raw. Then I right click the jpeg and click, edit with Photoshop, edit original.

Comments? Advice?

Thanks peeps!

You're taking an extra step here. Just right click the raw in LR and 'Edit in Photoshop'. Then it will automatically create a 2nd file. When you save, your LR will automatically update.

Jul 19, 2013 at 11:44 AM
VPell
• • • •
p.1 #15 · New puter and workflow

sboerup wrote:
Seems like a good workflow, other than I don't trust LR to import straight from card...had it corrupt some files before. I prefer to just copy straight to the drive, then import into LR...I do cull them before import with Photomechanic so that my catalogs are only the keeper files...keeps it speedy as well.

As long as the files are on the SSD while being edited you should be good, if not, I would suggest doing so as it dramatically increases the editing speed of LR.

And because I'm OCD with file segregation, I prefer to put the exported JPGs into their
...Show more

this is dope im feeling this

Jul 19, 2013 at 12:44 PM
Jeff Simpson
• • •
p.1 #16 · New puter and workflow

Yeah, right click -> edit in PS. Or in my case, I usually will "open as a smart object" since I often appreciate having the ability to still edit the raw data once in PS.

Regarding the RAM drive. you'll want to do some research on this one. Typically it's not worth it unless you just want to do it for fun (like i did).

And as spencer said.. photomechanic is an obvious choice if you're looking for speed.

Personally, i never delete raw files that are in my blog posts. and it's after 1 year that i delete the other raw files. always keep high res jpg's tho since they don't take up space.

Honestly your workflow is pretty basic and very general. There are so many smaller things you could be doing, and you didn't even cover the efficiency aspects of file management, selecting images for blog/portfolio, file management on your website, uploading, watermarking/other batching, blogging, etc. etc. you are on the right track though

Jul 19, 2013 at 12:45 PM
Jeff Simpson
• • •
p.1 #17 · New puter and workflow

D. Diggler wrote:
Nice.

lol. standby memory is free memory.. you are probably actually only using 6-8GB.

Jul 19, 2013 at 12:48 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #18 · New puter and workflow

I do not delete the unused files until I am done with the whole edit. That way, if I am going through and realize I grabbed a frame with bad focus or I am needing a bit more of something, I still have the unpicked ones right there

Jul 19, 2013 at 02:05 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · New puter and workflow

sboerup wrote:

And because I'm OCD with file segregation, I prefer to put the exported JPGs into their
...Show more

Heh, very similar to my file structure

Jul 19, 2013 at 02:06 PM
Scott Mosher
• • • •
p.1 #20 · New puter and workflow

Dang. I just put my images on my SSD to edit to see how much of a speed improvement it makes. On my system HUGE improvement, and I thought it was fast before!

Jul 19, 2013 at 02:31 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password