1       2       3              5      
       end

Archive 2013 · State of your Gear and Plans

ricardovaste
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #1 · p.6 #1 · State of your Gear and Plans

Makten wrote:
Just for perspective of cost and why I'm tired of phototgraphic gear. I just traded this (used)...

That's because 70-200/2.8s are terrible lenses ;-)! Enjoy.

Jul 24, 2013 at 04:41 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.6 #2 · p.6 #2 · State of your Gear and Plans

philip_pj wrote:
'I think one of the hard parts is acknowledging what is actually a NEED vs a WANT.'

1. Have you used the item in the last 6-12 months?
2. Do you have a clear and present NEED for an item, or an anticipated need in the next 12 months?

If 'no' to both, sell.
Reverse the process for buying.

+1

I'd have to agree here. I recall my early days of digital, picking up all sorts of lenses and trying all sorts of things, trying to make everything work, never really understanding why. For years now, I've just stuck with what will actually serve a purpose and I'll use. Sure, there is a process of trying "stuff" and finding what you like, but after a while you can make a well educated guess at things, and just go with it, or stick with what you have that you like, shed the unused stuff.

Just to play mind games, I think it's important to realise that WANTS and NEEDS are the same thing in this situation. You don't NEED any photographic item in my mind. Some will be more USEFUL in achieving the objective if you work around the limitations. Whatever you use, it will have limitations, even if you carry everything you own. So find the most USEFUL and learn how to get the most out of it, learn how you want to use it... Not someone else. As touched upon, using some appropriate and sticking with it, consistently, for 6-12 months is very productive in my opinion.

Not to be "anti gear" as I enjoy the discussions on here (obviously) but I feel if you stick with some equipment for a good period of time you realise the greater tool will always be your mind.

Jul 24, 2013 at 04:56 PM
gatorine
• • •
p.6 #3 · p.6 #3 · State of your Gear and Plans

I'm currently straddling the DSLR/EVIL fence:

I have the 1D Mk IV and 5D Mk II

DSLR Lenses:
50 f1.4, 90 TS-E,
135 f2, 70-300L,
300 f2.8 Mk II
Contax N 24-85, 70-200
Zuiko 21mm f3.5

I have (and love) the NEX-7. I currently have these lenses:
10-18 f4, 18-55 kit lens
Contax G 45 f2 and 90 f2.8
Hexanon 57mm f1.4
Minolta MC 135 f2.8

You'll have to pry all my Contax glass from my cold, dead hands.

I also have a speedbooster, but most of my EF-mount lenses don't actually AF with it (I knew that before I purchased it).

I just pre-ordered the Gen 2 Deo-Tech Contax G to Sony NEX AF adapter. Even if the AF speed isn't there I'm hoping the manual focusing is smoother than my current Ebay adapter is. I'd like a faster normal lens for the NEX, I don't think the Touit 32 mm is worth the price premium and I wish it was F1.4 instead of 1.8. Need to try my EF 50 1.4 with speed booster...

My big investment this year was the 300 f2.8. I think the image quality is much better than I was getting with the 400 F4, but I could use more reach. Longer glass is just out of my price range though (even used).

I'm writing this post on a 5.5 year old macbook pro. I think that's my next major upgrade once the 2013 macbook pros come out. Next year I want to upgrade my DSLR before my summer vacation (Great Circle in Utah/Arizona). I'll send my 5D Mk II off to lifepixel for IR conversion. I'm hoping Canon comes out with a more compelling upgrade than the 5D Mk III was before then.

Anyone else surprised by the number of 280 F4 lenses listed here? I used to pine for that lens, until I bought my 300 2.8.

Jul 24, 2013 at 06:17 PM
fotografur
• • • • •
p.6 #4 · p.6 #4 · State of your Gear and Plans

ricardovaste wrote:
+1

I'd have to agree here. I recall my early days of digital, picking up all sorts of lenses and trying all sorts of things, trying to make everything work, never really understanding why. For years now, I've just stuck with what will actually serve a purpose and I'll use. Sure, there is a process of trying "stuff" and finding what you like, but after a while you can make a well educated guess at things, and just go with it, or stick with what you have that you like, shed the unused stuff.

Just to play mind games, I think it's
...Show more

+2

Had a lot too. Brand new Hassy, Pentax 6x7, 645 etc. If I needed stuff I would buy it. And then it came to "What body to take. What lens to pack"

Now I just have a Canon EOS M and the 22mm.

I'm not a pro.

I like to take pictures!

Jul 24, 2013 at 06:25 PM
Krosavcheg
• • • •
p.6 #5 · p.6 #5 · State of your Gear and Plans

Various EOS bodies incl 5D MkIII and an assortment of alt glass, Mamiya RZ67 ProII, Fuji GW690 ProIII, Fuji GX680 ProIII (I begin to see III and Pro pattern here...hmm)...

Last EOS native lens procured was Sigma 35/1.4 - and will be last.

Was thinking to go D800E and ZF lenses for ultimate quality, but I feel I really want my system to take a lot of the alt glass I amassed over the time.

Just waiting to get FF NEX and Contax-G lenses for travel as I am really fed up of lugging around EOS gear in ThinkTank bag...

Jul 24, 2013 at 09:43 PM
noctilux.f095

p.6 #6 · p.6 #6 · State of your Gear and Plans

Slowly backfill

Jan-May 2013:
Completed Leice APO-Telyt-R module System
- Module 2.8/280/400 (x2)
- Module 4/400/560 (x2)
- Module 5.6/560/800
- Apo-Telyt-R 400/560/800 (x2)
- Apo-Telyt-R 280/400/560

- Leica R 280mm/f4 APO-TELYT-R (x2)
- Leica 180mm/f2.8 APO-Elmarit-R
- Leica 400mm/f2.8 APO-Telyt-R
- Leica 280mm/f2.8 APO-Telyt-R
- Leica 180mm/f3.4 APO-TELYT-R
- Leica 70-180mm/f2.8 Vario-APO-Elmarit-R

Jun/Jul-2013:
- Leica S2
- S-adapter for Hasselblad V
- Contax 645 350mm f4 APO
- Contax 645 Mutar 1.4X
- Konica 35mm f2 UC-Hexanon L-mount (2nd copy)
- Sigma SD1 Merrill

Hoping to get the following for the remaining 2013:
- Leica-S 120mm f2.5 APO-Macro
- Leica-S 30-90mm f3.5-5.6
- Leica-S 180mm f3.5
- S-adaptor for Contax 645
- Leica M (type 240)

Attacked by severe GAS for the last 10 years :-)

Edited on Jul 25, 2013 at 11:43 PM · View previous versions

Jul 25, 2013 at 04:07 AM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #7 · p.6 #7 · State of your Gear and Plans

Interesting thread.

Sold gear: Canon and Nikon FF pro bodies, all lenses between 14–24 and 70–200.

Current gear:

Two NEX 6 bodies, for stills and video (we make all our own products with this combo); shoulder mount, tripods and fluid head

CV 12/5.6 on adapter
CV 35/2.5 Color Skopar, on Hawk's adapter
CV 50/1.5 ASPH, on second Hawk's
Oly OM 24/2.8
Oly OM 50/3.5 macro, on Lengril tilt adapter (my absolute favourite of them all)
Minolta Rokkor 50/1.4 on adapter

The Sigma twins (19 and 30/2.8, E-mount)
Sigma 60/2.8

iKan HDMI external screen

Future interests? A FF mirrorless, M or other mount; if a Sony and E-mount, then I can use all the present MF lenses immediately.

Jul 25, 2013 at 05:58 AM
johnahill
• • • •
p.6 #8 · p.6 #8 · State of your Gear and Plans

Gunzorro wrote:
John -- You absolutely do not have too much stuff! And -- you are right about the 24 TSE, but you also want the 17 TSE (maybe without knowing it yet!). And I don't see the 50/1.2L on your list. . . just sayin'!

Makten -- Maybe if that second picture was a super-accurate rifle from Sako! Ha-ha!

Yeah, finger has been on the button for 24TSEII for a while now, bid on a few ebay sales but won't go over a certain amount, I can get a new grey import for only £100 more than most ebay used prices.

If i were to get 24TSE the ZE21 may have to go.

I've also got a few lenses I want to test to see what I want to keep for example:

180/3.4 Apo-Telty vs Canon 70-300 f4-5.6L IS (Apo-Telyt spanked 70-200F4L)

ZE35/2 vs Sigma 35/1.4 vs R35-70/4

Not sure I'll keep the mirex long term, not really using it as much as I thought and mostly for shift panos. I've got a pano head (well a combo panning/arca clamp) which I could use instead.

As with most folks here, my gear list is in a constant state of flux

Jul 25, 2013 at 06:31 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.6 #9 · p.6 #9 · State of your Gear and Plans

johnahill wrote:
Yeah, finger has been on the button for 24TSEII for a while now, bid on a few ebay sales but won't go over a certain amount, I can get a new grey import for only £100 more than most ebay used prices.

Does "grey market" actually exist in the UK? It seems to mean something in the USA, but not in Canada. I can buy a new Canon lens from anywhere and it'll be repaired by Canon Canada, under warranty in the first year.

johnahill wrote:
If i were to get 24TSE the ZE21 may have to go.

That's what I did. I sold the 21ZE about a year after getting the TS-E 24/3.5L II. OTOH, I bought an 18 ZE soon after getting a TS-E 17/4L. I generally use the 18ZE when the TS-E 17 and TS-E 24 are just too big for the situation, and I want better edges and corners than the 16-35/2.8L II can deliver. The 24-70/2.8L II is just fine.

johnahill wrote:
I've also got a few lenses I want to test to see what I want to keep for example:

My Mamiya A 200/2.8 APO spanked my -R 180/3.4 Apo-Telyt. Well, maybe it was more like a mild verbal insult, than actual physical dominance (the A was slightly better in the corners).

johnahill wrote:
Not sure I'll keep the mirex long term, not really using it as much as I thought and mostly for shift panos. I've got a pano head (well a combo panning/arca clamp) which I could use instead.

I generally use my Mirex for shift on the 35mm and 55mm lenses, and for tilt on 80mm and 150mm lenses. I generally don't use it for macro, as I have a Mamiya Auto Bellows N with front standard movements. I have a NN3 pano head, but I rarely use it.

johnahill wrote:
As with most folks here, my gear list is in a constant state of flux

Tell me about it.

Jul 25, 2013 at 07:48 AM
tobicus
• • •
p.6 #10 · p.6 #10 · State of your Gear and Plans

Gunzorro wrote:
I've never been happier, and this is the most gear I've ever owned at one time. YMMV!

Certainly; my post was for someone who (unlike you) was looking for help reducing his gear, though.

Jul 25, 2013 at 09:56 AM
olelovold
• •
p.6 #11 · p.6 #11 · State of your Gear and Plans

Currently have a Fujifilm GF670, a Gitzo 1542T tripod with a ballhead, and a fridge full of Portra 400. The only thing I'm considering spending money on is more film, and in a year or so, a better scanner (Imacon).

Jul 25, 2013 at 10:16 AM
Beni
• • • • • •
p.6 #12 · p.6 #12 · State of your Gear and Plans

You people all need serious serious help

Jul 25, 2013 at 11:04 AM
plasticmotif
• • •
p.6 #13 · p.6 #13 · State of your Gear and Plans

NEX5N

CV15
Sigma 19
G28
G45
Rokkor 58/1.2
Bokina
Rokkor 135/2.8

I have many other lenses, but none that get any use. I've not been taking pictures honestly. I bought a boat....so I've been fishing and going to the lakes. I consider my lineup perfect. The only thing I could thing of wanting is a CPL for the CV15.....but even then, I don't how much I'd use it.

Jul 25, 2013 at 11:08 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.6 #14 · p.6 #14 · State of your Gear and Plans

Beni wrote:
You people all need serious serious help

yes.

johnahill wrote:

i want to hear about this one if canon does well.

Jul 25, 2013 at 11:45 AM
Hexonxonx

p.6 #15 · p.6 #15 · State of your Gear and Plans

One 6D with a Zeiss 25/2 glued
One 6D with a Zeiss 50/2 MP also glued

This magic combination of FL and quality does 95 % of my shots ...

One 5D3 that catch the very good remains of my Zeiss ( 21 - 35/1.4 - 35/2 - 50/1.4 - 85/1.4 )
I woudn't have bought the 5D3 if the 6D has come first !!

As for the lenses : the 50/1.4 was my first Zeiss but the 50/2 does macro and more.
The 35/2 before the 35/1.4 was annonced ( like both but the 25 close in FL is a vampire )
The 21 before the 25 was annonced ( quite bored by the 21 but don't have the box to resell - doh ... a keeper for large family reunions though )
85/1.4 not too much used to say the least, still awkward FL for me but will " working on it "

Only ( very dull ) plan for the many years to come : Zeiss 135/2 ( how many shots with this FL to justify the purchase ) I need to feel a quite dire lack ...

Absolutely **no** desire / GAS for other systems : just for a start the 6D seems to have been molded for my hands and is light, is good, high ISO quality

Jul 25, 2013 at 01:19 PM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.6 #16 · p.6 #16 · State of your Gear and Plans

'You people all need serious serious help'

What help have you got for us, Beni?

Pharmacological, psychological, psychiatric, charitable empathy, frontal lobotomy (I'd rather have a bottle in front of me), or Bill Gates trust fund nest egg?

Jul 25, 2013 at 05:03 PM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.6 #17 · p.6 #17 · State of your Gear and Plans

'Absolutely **no** desire / GAS for other systems'

There is a lot to be said for this plan, you can think of it as the 'in law' approach. They might all be a little strange and have their foibles but once you work out how to deal with one of them, the others are also easy to figure out.

Jul 25, 2013 at 05:43 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.6 #18 · p.6 #18 · State of your Gear and Plans

philip_pj wrote:
'You people all need serious serious help'

What help have you got for us, Beni?

Pharmacological, psychological, psychiatric, charitable empathy, frontal lobotomy (I'd rather have a bottle in front of me), or Bill Gates trust fund nest egg?

I think that photomatographology an be helpful.

Jul 25, 2013 at 05:44 PM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.6 #19 · p.6 #19 · State of your Gear and Plans

Even Google is confused Jim ;-)

Jul 25, 2013 at 05:47 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.6 #20 · p.6 #20 · State of your Gear and Plans

philip_pj wrote:
Even Google is confused Jim ;-)

Awesome!

Jul 25, 2013 at 08:23 PM
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.