Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Camera Body Adapter vs. Lens Adapter?

molson
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Camera Body Adapter vs. Lens Adapter?

This may be a silly question, but I was wondering if anyone knows of an adapter for OM-mount lenses I could install on a Canon body and leave there, rather than buying adapters for my lenses (or constantly swapping adapters between lenses). Every adapter I've seen is designed to be left on the lens rather than on the camera body.

It would be cheaper to buy a 5D body and dedicate it to my OM lenses than to buy an adapter for each lens...

Jul 19, 2013 at 12:33 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Camera Body Adapter vs. Lens Adapter?

molson wrote:
...It would be cheaper to buy a 5D body and dedicate it to my OM lenses than to buy an adapter for each lens...

I agree. Especially if you use Leitax kits for each "keeper" Alt lens, which I now do for my Oly and Contax lenses.

Sounds like a fine idea. I'm not aware of such a product.

OTOH, Oly lenses, in particular, have the lens mount release button on the lens body, not on the camera body as do Contax, Pentax, Nikon, and etc.. It might be possible to dismount the lens while leaving the adapter on the camera, for some styles of adapter. I have a couple that I could try tomorrow, when I return home.

Jul 19, 2013 at 01:12 AM
Taylor Sherman
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Camera Body Adapter vs. Lens Adapter?

Get a mirrorless

(I know, not FF etc, sorry).

Jul 19, 2013 at 01:16 AM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Camera Body Adapter vs. Lens Adapter?

Taylor Sherman wrote:
Get a mirrorless

How, exactly, would that help?

Jul 19, 2013 at 03:57 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Camera Body Adapter vs. Lens Adapter?

Never mind. It's been too long since I used an OM to EF adapter apparently.

Jul 19, 2013 at 04:05 AM
ronfronberg
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Camera Body Adapter vs. Lens Adapter?

I have done it with a generic olympus to canon adapter. I just removed the lens and put the next lens on.

Jul 19, 2013 at 05:42 AM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Camera Body Adapter vs. Lens Adapter?

OM is one of the few that you can leave on the body and just swap lenses, I still bought 3-4 OM too EF adapters, which is enough to adapt all the lenses I would typically bring with me, but when or if you bring lenses with different mounts like Nikon F and OM, keeping the mounting process the same between them all helps speed things up in the field.

Jul 19, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

phigment
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Camera Body Adapter vs. Lens Adapter?

If you are talking about a chipped adapter one of the problems with a "body adapter" is that the adapter has no way of knowing what lens you have mounted for non-electronic lenses.

As Taylor mentioned above, mirrorless cameras do have "body adapters" such as the Metabones adapters for Canon lenses and the Phigment LM-NEX for M-mount lenses.

If you merely want a mechanical adapter I don't see why you can't just keep one adapter on the body. (unless the adapter you're buying doesn't have a lens release on it).

Jul 19, 2013 at 02:00 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Camera Body Adapter vs. Lens Adapter?

Update

It works fine with two OM to EOS adapters that I have; one is a Fotodiox Pro and the other is an old generic adapter from some eBay seller.

I use the Fotodiox Pro with my Oly 50/1.8, 85/2, and 200/4 lenses, and have Leitax mount replacement kits for my Oly 21/3.5 and 24/2.8 lenses.

The Fotodiox Pro is definitely of higher quality and has better machining accuracies than the generic adapters, but the Leitax mount kits provide noticably better edge and corner IQ on wide and very-wide lenses. The generic adapters are generally inconsistent, so that one corner and part of an edge might be sharp, but other areas are not. The Fotodiox Pro is noticeably better, but still has slight asymmetry on wide and very-wide angle lenses.

P.S. this approach would also work fine for M42 lenses.

Jul 19, 2013 at 06:58 PM
AhamB
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Camera Body Adapter vs. Lens Adapter?

molson wrote:
Every adapter I've seen is designed to be left on the lens rather than on the camera body.

It's possible to leave the adapter on the camera, but I think it's a bad idea because adapters quickly develop play in the part where they mount to the lens. They have some soft metal that puts pressure on the bayonet lugs of the lens, so if you keep changing lenses, the adapter becomes loose. That's my experience with EF-Contax adapters anyway.

Jul 19, 2013 at 07:37 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Camera Body Adapter vs. Lens Adapter?

jcolwell wrote:
Update

It works fine with two OM to EOS adapters that I have; one is a Fotodiox Pro and the other is an old generic adapter from some eBay seller.

I use the Fotodiox Pro with my Oly 50/1.8, 85/2, and 200/4 lenses, and have Leitax mount replacement kits for my Oly 21/3.5 and 24/2.8 lenses.

The Fotodiox Pro is definitely of higher quality and has better machining accuracies than the generic adapters, but the Leitax mount kits provide noticably better edge and corner IQ on wide and very-wide lenses. The generic adapters are generally inconsistent, so that one corner and
...Show more

Thanks, Jim;

Given unlimited (or at least more) funds, I would use the Leitax mounts to convert all of the lenses to Nikon mount, but then I wouldn't be able to occasionally throw them on the OM-4Ti without swapping the mounts back to OM.

With clean 5D's selling in the $500- $750 range, I think one of those with a dedicated OM adapter attached is a better solution (for me).

Supplementary question:

I presume I need a "chipped" adapter to activate the focus-confirmation light in the 5D, but do I need to set (program) the chip for a specific aperture? Or can I just leave it at the default and still get that basic functionality without changing it for each lens?

Jul 28, 2013 at 02:24 PM
CVickery
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Camera Body Adapter vs. Lens Adapter?

molson wrote:
Thanks, Jim;

Given unlimited (or at least more) funds, I would use the Leitax mounts to convert all of the lenses to Nikon mount, but then I wouldn't be able to occasionally throw them on the OM-4Ti without swapping the mounts back to OM.

With clean 5D's selling in the $500- $750 range, I think one of those with a dedicated OM adapter attached is a better solution (for me).

Supplementary question:

I presume I need a "chipped" adapter to activate the focus-confirmation light in the 5D, but do I need to set (program) the chip for a specific aperture? Or can I just
...Show more

Yes you'll need a chipped adapter to activate the focus-confirmation light. A programmable chip allows you to specify the FL and aperture. IMO the chipped adapter is most useful in allowing the lens to be identified in the EXIF...the focus confirmation is of limited value (and accuracy). For accurate focus use a Ee-S focusing screen, or get a body with live-view.

Jul 28, 2013 at 04:16 PM
David Deppen

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Camera Body Adapter vs. Lens Adapter?

jcolwell wrote:
Update

The Fotodiox Pro is definitely of higher quality and has better machining accuracies than the generic adapters, but the Leitax mount kits provide noticably better edge and corner IQ on wide and very-wide lenses. The generic adapters are generally inconsistent, so that one corner and
...Show more

Has anyone compared the Fotodiox Pro to the Cameraquest/Rayqual adapters? If so, what was your opinion?

Jul 28, 2013 at 06:26 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password