New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · The Magician.

silvawispa
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · The Magician.

Going for 'attractive, but slightly unnerving' in this promo shot/portrait of a juggler/illusionist.
Your thoughts?

Jul 18, 2013 at 08:44 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The Magician.

I think you did both, Paul.
Fine composition.
I like the dust, textures but I prefer a bit deeper blacks.
Scott

Jul 18, 2013 at 08:50 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The Magician.

Pretty cool and WAY, outa my league ... so I feel not qualified to critique, but as a viewer, here's what I see.

To me, the three pieces of the puzzle are the person's facial area (tie/glove), the inverted reflection in the crystal ball and the series of reflections in the mirror.

As is, my eye goes ... face>mirrors> nearly leaves image>wonders back into scene>face and then > inverted reflection.

Because the mirrors provide leading lines out of the frame, I'm thinking that I might like to see the tonal values brought down a bit (relative to crystal ball) so that the crystal ball becomes #2 in the draw @ face>ball>face>mirrors>face and we keep sliding back and forth through the face (or other approach to swap the mirror/ball relationship @ sharpening/brightening ball, etc.) ... if that makes any sense.

Also, wondering why the mirror images have brighter tonal values in the shadows (contrast reduction to reflect distance?) than the main image? And, why the second crystal ball has the star reflection, while the others don't.

Again, I feel kinda @ mentioning what must seem like such trivial things when the image is pretty awesome, such that my skills aren't remotely close to achieving your level of workmanship. But, I offer them in case they might be part of making an awesome pic, "awesomer" ... .

As is, I kinda enter @ main face, and settle in on first mirror image ... connected by line of the hat brim ... struggling to keep coming back to the main face.

As to attractive and "unnerving" I don't get much unnerving ... maybe that's part of why I'm wanting more attention to the inverted crystal ball image, i.e. when your world gets turned upside down and contorted, that's kinda unnerving.

Jul 18, 2013 at 09:18 AM
silvawispa
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · The Magician.

Great thoughts Rusty, crystalised a few niggles for me nicely

Cheers Scott, I think a teensy bit blacker will definitely help.

Jul 18, 2013 at 10:10 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · The Magician.

Sweet compo!

Jul 18, 2013 at 04:05 PM
silvawispa
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · The Magician.

Thanks Aunti
Still got a few tweaks to work on to finish it off, but it's mostly in place now.

Jul 29, 2013 at 06:20 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.