New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Nikon Update for Lens Distortion

CraigB1960

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Nikon Update for Lens Distortion

SAng wrote:
The D700 does not have a distortion control db, period. IIRC the D90 came right after the D700, and would be the first model with auto distortion control.

I've wondered about this (whether auto distortion correction is applied to raw files) and meant to test it. However, according to T. Hogan it does.

No it does not. Tom says it effects the jpg embedded image. That is different from modifying the RAW data.

Jul 18, 2013 at 11:01 PM
RKnecht
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Nikon Update for Lens Distortion

I updated my D4 and I can confirm that distortion control does not affect/correct the RAW file. Guess ill have to wait for an ACR update now.

Jul 19, 2013 at 04:32 AM
wellsjt
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Nikon Update for Lens Distortion

CraigB1960 wrote:
No it does not. Tom says it effects the jpg embedded image. That is different from modifying the RAW data.

That has already been pointed out in this thread. Also, at the time SAng made his post Thom Hogan had his list wrong and had distortion control and color space as affecting both RAW + JPG. Mr. Hogan has since corrected it.

Jul 19, 2013 at 06:47 AM
Jan Brittenson
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Nikon Update for Lens Distortion

Does it affect in-camera review of raw shots even if you don't have a sidecar jpeg? In other words, does it allow zooming in using the (+) button a bit to verify precise framing on the corrected image? Also, how does it compare to the LR4/5 profiles? I guess some experimentation might be in order...

Jul 19, 2013 at 07:44 AM
wellsjt
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Nikon Update for Lens Distortion

The auto distortion control along with all the other JPG-related stuff - picture control settings, color space, white balance, etc., etc. - does affect the JPG preview which is embedded in the RAW file. That is what you are looking at on the camera screen when you review the RAW. I think the LR distortion adjustments are fairly effective in my experience.

Jul 19, 2013 at 11:15 AM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Nikon Update for Lens Distortion

I downloaded the exe file and ran it. Now, just *what* did it install and *where*? It does not ask me where I want to install it. It just installs whatever it is it installs.

Jul 19, 2013 at 02:20 PM
Jan Brittenson
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Nikon Update for Lens Distortion

A quick test shows it does affect review of raw files, including histogram and precise framing. Both at screen size and all zoom levels, so it affects how the raw is processed for display. The setting used is that which was in effect when the raw was captured.

Jul 19, 2013 at 02:22 PM
Dan Grisez
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Nikon Update for Lens Distortion

runamuck wrote:
I downloaded the exe file and ran it. Now, just *what* did it install and *where*? It does not ask me where I want to install it. It just installs whatever it is it installs.

If you are using Windows, the installer put a Nikon folder on your desktop. The .BIN file will be in there. Copy it to a memory card and pop that into your camera and go to the firmware update (in the Settings menu) and choose update.

Jul 19, 2013 at 02:43 PM
ocir
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Nikon Update for Lens Distortion

Is there a 64bit version?

Jul 19, 2013 at 05:48 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Nikon Update for Lens Distortion

Thank you, Dan.

Jul 19, 2013 at 10:59 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.