Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Oly OM gurus' advice needed

Kit Laughlin
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Oly OM gurus' advice needed

I am on the road again, with an OM 50/3.5 on a tilt adapter that allows the tilt to be applied on any plane; I am having a ball revisiting the Scheimpflug effect on a NEX 6.

So much so, I would like one of the OM 28 or 35 lenses. Any recommendations—over at the rangefinder forum, not many like either of the 35s; many feel the 28s are a better design.

28mm becomes a 42 on the NEX, and I like that FL—all suggestions gratefully received!

Or are there better alternatives? I see there are tilt adapters for Nikkor F and Pentax screw-mount lenses too, so suggest away. Tilt is a wonderful facility to have again, and reverse tilt is great for portraits on the OM 50/3.5 macro, too.

Jul 18, 2013 at 07:34 AM
JohnJ
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Oly OM gurus' advice needed

What do you want, maximum DOF or the opposite, shallow DOF?

I have the 28 F2, F2.8 and F3.5. The 28/3.5 was the cheapest and probably the sharpest across the frame, ideal for 'landscape' stuff. So if that's what you're after, maximum DOF, the 28/3.5 might be the best choice.

I've never used any of them the way you intend so I have no idea what vignetting or other issues you might have.

Jul 18, 2013 at 07:51 AM
mcbroomf
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Oly OM gurus' advice needed

I had the OM 28/2 and sold it. Although I got a couple of good photos from it I never felt it was that great. Certainly not as good as the 21 or 24. Could have had a bad copy of course.

For 28/2 you might look at the Rokkor, C/Y, or the Kiron which comes in different mounts.

Mike

Jul 18, 2013 at 10:01 AM
jay tieger
• • •
p.1 #4 · Oly OM gurus' advice needed

I have and like the 24/2.8...

Jul 18, 2013 at 01:18 PM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Oly OM gurus' advice needed

me too, the 24/2.8
amazing lens, tiny, well built, super sharp and cheap.

Jul 18, 2013 at 01:59 PM
redisburning
• • •
Account locked
p.1 #6 · Oly OM gurus' advice needed

28/2, 28/3.5

ignore the 35s. my particular 28/2 is quite good though to be fair it's not an early production example.

Jul 18, 2013 at 02:13 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · Oly OM gurus' advice needed

Spyro P. wrote:
me too, the 24/2.8
amazing lens, tiny, well built, super sharp and cheap.

Me, three.

Jul 18, 2013 at 02:39 PM
bkwphoto
• •
p.1 #8 · Oly OM gurus' advice needed

http://zone-10.com/cmsm/index.php?option=com_content&task=category§ionid=10&id=45&Itemid=97

Check out this site for lens tests. My 28 f3.5 is a great lens but so is my 35 F2.8 YMMV. For the prices I don't think you can go too far wrong with any of the Zuikos in this range. According to the zone 10 test the 28f2 looks exceptional but harder to find and more expensive. KEH usually has a good selection. Plus you have to wonder about sample variation.

Love the old Zuikos

Jul 18, 2013 at 07:22 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Oly OM gurus' advice needed

The 24mm f2.8 (my favourite), 28mm f2, 28mm f2.8, and 35mm f2.8 are all great (if you get the multicoated versions).

I see the old 28mm f3.5 touted often, and this puzzles me because it was never very good on film, and I would be surprised if it would be any better on digital.

Jul 19, 2013 at 12:28 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · Oly OM gurus' advice needed

another vote for the 24/2.8 despite being a little wider than you're looking for. flatness of field and even sharpness to the edges make it a good candidate for both tilt and shift work.

Jul 19, 2013 at 01:03 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · Oly OM gurus' advice needed

Generally speaking, the f/2 lenses are better close up than at a distance, but that especially true for the 28 (the 35's fairly ho-hum at any distance). The 24/2's a solid all-arounder if you're not too picky about the corners. The 24/2.8 is the best all-arounder, only losing a little bit up close to the 24/2, but much better across the frame at any distance.

I'd suggest going with the 40/2, but I'm on the hunt for one and don't need the competition. It's sharp, decent corner performance even on a 5D, gets to 1:5 with it's MFD, and is tiny.

Jul 19, 2013 at 04:21 AM
LightShow
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Oly OM gurus' advice needed

If you don't mind something a bit bigger, the FD SSC 35/2.8 Tilt/Shift I have blew away any of the lenses I tried on my EF to NEX tilt adapter, I'm really looking forward to using it on a FF NEX.

Jul 19, 2013 at 04:53 AM
redisburning
• • •
Account locked
p.1 #13 · Oly OM gurus' advice needed

freaklikeme wrote:
I'd suggest going with the 40/2, but I'm on the hunt for one and don't need the competition. It's sharp, decent corner performance even on a 5D, gets to 1:5 with it's MFD, and is tiny.

good luck.

Im torn on the lens. I thought it was nice, but not worth the price, personally. It's build is really behind some other Zuikos, and the optics dont quite make up for it given the excellent build of some of my other Zuikos. I think it's strongest suit is enough contrast with a good transition to out of focus. If it cost the same as either 35, or one of the cheaper 50s (even the 50/3.5 macro or a late 50/1.4), Id still have it. But at it's current price, I'd take a Voigtlander 40mm in F mount, and I shoot OM cameras.

OP you already have my favorite Zuiko in the 50/3.5 macro. Probably my favorite lens in the 135 format, frankly. I realize I should feel some guilt liking a lens I can buy all day for 100 dollars over my ZM Planar as well as its bigger, faster f2 brother, but short of the Pentax 105mm f2.4 I can't say Ive ever used a lens that I liked so much.

As far as 28s go, to be honest I feel more in line with Gary Reese's old tests (very positive on sharpness) than Photodos (comically low) or some other reports. But, these old lenses are often subject to variation, so maybe try before you buy. Still, I've never seen a shot from the 35/2.8 that made me think it was anything other than garbage, and I own one. My 28/2, which I suppose is the only one I can talk about, I felt to be an improvement over my 28/3.5, which I already liked quite a bit. Im remiss to do this, since I dont really like digital and in general I dont like anything other than 50mm, but I dug up a shot from when I first got it and tested it out for you, to show you that I think it's definitely capable of making some really fantastically detailed images.

Untitled by redisburning, on Flickr

of course I took one of my very favorite images of my own with the 28/3.5, and Im certain I cant say that about the 28/2. but that isnt the lens' fault. A friend's smile is worth all the sharpness in the world

Untitled by redisburning, on Flickr

hope that helps.

Jul 19, 2013 at 05:16 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · Oly OM gurus' advice needed

redisburning wrote:
good luck.

Im torn on the lens. I thought it was nice, but not worth the price, personally. It's build is really behind some other Zuikos, and the optics dont quite make up for it given the excellent build of some of my other Zuikos. I think it's strongest suit is enough contrast with a good transition to out of focus. If it cost the same as either 35, or one of the cheaper 50s (even the 50/3.5 macro or a late 50/1.4), Id still have it. But at it's current price, I'd take a Voigtlander 40mm in F mount, and
...Show more

Thanks. I'll need it, since I have no plans to pay the going rate. The copy I used to have felt very solid, and I have to disagree on the optics. I'd say the biggest problem with the design is the bokeh wide open, but I really liked the lens at f/4 and f/5.6. It's the only Zuiko I really miss.

Nice shots, by the way. That test shot with the 28/2 is exactly where I feel the lens is at it's best.

Jul 19, 2013 at 05:24 AM
bkwphoto
• •
p.1 #15 · Oly OM gurus' advice needed

A couple from my 35 F2.8 on a 60D. Mine is the multicoated version and seems plenty sharp. They are both shot at probably at f8. There is so much fine detail in the first shot it was hard to meet the forum file site guidelines without reducing the quality. Again YMMV with sample.

© Brian Karl Werner

Morro Bay

© Brian Karl Werner

Learning the Ropes

Jul 19, 2013 at 02:09 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · Oly OM gurus' advice needed

+1 Oly 28/3.5 and Oly 24/2.8 ... both regulars for me until I picked up my 24L TS-E II.

Of course, the Canon cost 10X the amount of the two Oly's combined and can tilt/shift on FF, but I have little reservation mounting either of the Oly's. At the longer 35mm range, I passed on Oly in favor of the C/Y 35-70/3.4.

Jul 19, 2013 at 04:07 PM
H.Lux
• •
p.1 #17 · Oly OM gurus' advice needed

BTW: Do you know this site http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/tilt-shift-lenses2.htm#calculator
I find the calculator of DOF very helpful, if you want for example have the focus plane longitudinal.

Jul 19, 2013 at 05:54 PM
bpark42
• • •
p.1 #18 · Oly OM gurus' advice needed

The OM 28/2 is a very nice lens, but as a previous poster said, it is generally better when shooting at shorter distances. I also own the 28/3.5, which I found to be quite sharp across the frame for distant subjects.

Jul 19, 2013 at 06:45 PM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
p.1 #19 · Oly OM gurus' advice needed

Thanks to everyone who responded, and that Cambridge colour site is excellent too.

KEH have a number of the 24/2.8 lenses (~$245 and up) and a number of 28/2.8s for under $50! I am still thinking about this, but the bigger picture is that, if Sony do come out with a FF NEX, all of these beauties will work on it, too, even if we do have to wait a bit for the adapters.

As well, although the 50/3,5 macro is a but front heavy on the NEX 6, but its images are really really lovely. It's a keeper, no matter what happens.

A couple of members asked how I was intending to use the new lens. I have found the 50/3.5 (as expected, with its much bigger images circle than what's needed on an APS-C sensor has no vignetting problems, no matter how much tilt is needed.And I have been finding that some reverse tilt makes this lens a very nice portrait lens—and that was unexpected.

Finally, the particular adapter I bought (seller was 'lengril' on ebay) has click stops every 30 degrees, but the tilt plane can be placed anywhere around the circle, if you want. I have shot graffiti using the tilt sideways, like swing, that has been really useful getting it all in focus. Lots of fun.

Jul 20, 2013 at 10:05 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · Oly OM gurus' advice needed

Just wait 'till you try the 85/2 and 200/4. Cost effective and at least as good as some of "the best".

Jul 20, 2013 at 10:12 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password