New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Canon Pixma Pro-100

Sharona
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon Pixma Pro-100

Hi there - this printer, with rebate is going for $99 at the moment. Is this a decent photo printer? Is there a newer/better one on the horizon (well there always is that, but...) Just wondering if I'm missing something. Thanks!

Jul 17, 2013 at 02:35 PM
Brit-007
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon Pixma Pro-100

I have just purchased one and at Adorama it is $89 with a free pack of 50 sheets Canon 13x19 paper. This is after the $300 rebate so you pay for it then get the rebate from Canon. It produces brilliant prints and is well worth the money. Bear in mind the ink costs. It uses 8 cartridges that can be purchased individually and the complete set of inks is $125.

It is a higher end printer and does produce pro quality work.

Jul 17, 2013 at 06:27 PM
rdcny
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon Pixma Pro-100

The Pixma 100 is a dye printer - which makes for vibrant colors; most "pro" printers use Pigment Ink printers these days...colors are very good...but not quite the same.

Be aware that the ink (waste) collecting tank in the Pixma 100 is very small - and is not user replaceable. So if you print a lot this printer will need service sooner than the "pro" lines.

That being said, it is a great printer at a great price...I own one. If you do your homework, you can buy two from different retailers participating in the "sale" and save on ink/replacement print head - I just got my second rebate check. Just make sure you order from two different retailers...they have different rebate codes - so you are "legally" eligible for both rebates.

Jul 18, 2013 at 04:40 AM
Sharona
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon Pixma Pro-100

Thanks folks. Would this be a good option for someone who only prints occasionally for personal prints, not for professional reasons?

Jul 18, 2013 at 10:55 AM
aubsxc
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon Pixma Pro-100

The Pro-100 is a steal at that price. A full set of inks for the printer alone costs more than you end up paying for it new after rebate.

Jul 18, 2013 at 03:51 PM
mwaller

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon Pixma Pro-100

Has anyone ordered just the printer and received the rebate? Stupid question I know, but the rebate form is confusing to me. Looks like you have to purchase a camera and or lens to be eligible for the $300 rebate? I called Adorama and the guys says, "nope, just order the printer and the rebate is good" I've been bit more than a few times with confusing rebates so just want to be 100% on this one.

Jul 18, 2013 at 07:23 PM
plubbry
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon Pixma Pro-100

Just printer and its a $200 rebate.

Printer + (eligable camera, or lens, or paper) is a $300 rebate.

Make sure you read the directions carefully so you get all you documentation done right and you should be good. I need to finish mine and get it sent off.

Jul 18, 2013 at 09:50 PM
pdever

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon Pixma Pro-100

I got one from B&H a month or so ago at the $89 price. The rebate comes as an American Express gift card. It took about 3-4 weeks to arrive. The printer is really nice, just remember that it is not a "multi-purpose" printer.

Jul 26, 2013 at 03:54 PM
rdcny
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon Pixma Pro-100

and the paper that you need to print on for dye inks is different than photo paper for pigment inks...this printer excels on glossy and luster surfaces - but not so much on matte paper.

Jul 26, 2013 at 06:19 PM
evanford

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon Pixma Pro-100

I am thinking about purchasing either the Pro-10 or Pro-100 printer but am having trouble deciding between the two. I know the differences between pigment and dye inks but I do not have any direct experience with a pigment printer. I currently own a Pixma Pro 9000 Mark II and before that I had the original Pro 9000 - both dye printers. I primarily want to print on glossy, semi-gloss, and luster papers. I would like to get into some black and white which my current printer is terrible. Will the Pro-100 be enough of an upgrade to justify the purchase? Is the quality of color prints any better than the Pro 9000 Mark II? What does the 'PRO MODE' on these new printers do? Does the Pro-10 print okay on glossy and luster papers or is it suited for fine art papers only? I know the colors will not pop as much but I see that a plus. I am trying to determine which printer would be best to print photos I would be proud to hang in my home.

Thanks

Jul 30, 2013 at 10:38 AM
arize84
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon Pixma Pro-100

I have owned the 9000MKII and now own the Pro100. In my opinion it is well worth the upgrade. I only print on Ilford or Canon semi gloss paper; which works very well for both printers. Specifically to the question of B&W printing, the Pro 100 delivers in spades and matches exactly what I see on the screen; I use a calibrated Dell U2410 IPS monitor. I enjoy using the printer so much, I have spent the last couple of weeks mining my old photos to find new stuff to print. With the 9000MKII, I was not able to accurately print what I saw on the screen to the extent I can with the Pro 100 and the 9000 also struggled with clouds . The Pro 100 always ends up being a very close match with color photos and a perfect match with B&W photos.

A couple of other highlights that should not be missed about this printer; Canon Print Studio Pro, WIFI, and 16 bit XPS printer. The Canon Print Studio Pro plug-in makes it really easy to print from LR or DPP etc; it's a simple, fast and fluid interface that gives the essential options you need for getting out your prints; it even allows you to make on the fly ICC, color/tint, cropping adjustments before sending to print. WIFI is self explanatory. Before Print Studio, I always had to load an image in LR to print (didn't trust anything else); now I can simply open up a jpg in DPP, call up the Print Studio plug in, make any necessary and non-destructible adjustments and hit print.

The 16 bit driver allows you to capture even more subtle tonal variations in your images especially when directly printing from Raw files in Light Room; the advantages of 16 bit printing are not always apparent but when you are trying to nail down a skin tone or the tint of B&W or Brown in a print you need every advantage you can use.

If you are on the fence about this printer, take the plunge. Its worth a lot more than the post rebate price and a more than worthy upgrade to its predecessor.

Jul 30, 2013 at 11:36 AM
evanford

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon Pixma Pro-100

Wow Arize. That is music to my ears. I talked myself into trying out the Pro-100 since the rebate price is so good. I am curious about the Print Studio plug-in. I too use Lightroom. Are you saying you use the plug-in from within Lightroom rather than Lightroom's print module to print?

Can't wait to check it out.

Jul 30, 2013 at 02:41 PM
arize84
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon Pixma Pro-100

That's correct. I use the plug-in from within LR rather than the Print module, same process with DPP and presumably Photoshop. The results are more consistent from the plug in. For example, for me sometimes border-less printing from LR's print module can be a hit or miss affair; don't have this problem with Studio Pro.

Jul 30, 2013 at 03:44 PM
bboule
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon Pixma Pro-100

I got one in the past few months with the $99 deal.. (actually bought my dad a camera, some paper, and the printer to get the $400 off deal).

I really like it.. however I was replacing an i9900 that is getting cranky.

I'm not sure yet, as I want to spend more time with it and work more on my profiles, but the one thing I am hesitant about is I think the PRO-100 might be a little bit weaker in the reds than the i9900 was. The i9900 had a dedicated red ink tank. Reds have always been tough though..

However I have pretty much nailed my profiles for one paper when it comes to B&W at this point, and the PRO-100 is fantastically better for B&W. The gray/dark gray inks make a huge difference there.

The features & build quality of the PRO-100 are great too. These new "PRO" printers have lots of little changes to the design of the printer which are mechanical improvements that look like they will keep the printers working longer. Having Ethernet & Airprint is great, although obviously you're not going to be doing any really high quality printing off an iPhone/iPad.

The Print Studio plugin is kind of neat.. but I don't use it as no matter what I do I can't get it to show my custom profiles I've made. I have gotten some 3rd party manufacturer profiles to show up, but nothing I make with my ColorMunki Photo will show up in Print Studio. (They show up fine everywhere else)

If you didn't have LR/Photoshop, etc.. Print Studio would be a godsend, it is a lot better than what Canon made available in the past, and it is even better than say Aperture's print dialogs.

Aug 01, 2013 at 03:03 PM
Sharona
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon Pixma Pro-100

I just ordered mine today! Glad to hear B&W looks good. This is my first printer, so I'm sure there will be a learning curve. It was kind of a no-brainer to start with this printer for the price!

Aug 01, 2013 at 03:12 PM
Brit-007
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon Pixma Pro-100

Just to let you know that a friend of mine also purchase the printer on july 20th. I took a week to get my rebate form in the mail. She got the rebate yesterday so it took about 3 weeks to get the money back.

I am also getting better matching prints than I did with the i9900. I am really happy. Got my rebate today.

Aug 06, 2013 at 03:23 PM
boingyman
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon Pixma Pro-100

I just got mine in a bundle and I'm still debating if I want to keep it or sell it off. Did I read right that it comes with a full set of ink?

Aug 08, 2013 at 02:53 PM
Arejukas

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon Pixma Pro-100

I received mine yesterday with a full set of ink tanks and a small pack of the canon luster pro paper, all for $150 without needing to send in rebate paperwork.

The first color print using the ICC profile included in the canon download package matched soft-proofing on a recently calibrated monitor as perfectly as any print I've seen so far. Would say saturation and overall quality of the print was better than the local Noritsu RC prints or BayPhoto Kodak Endura prints I sometimes send out for.

Looking forward to trying the 3- gray/black dye printing this week as well.

Aug 20, 2013 at 11:40 AM
rdcny
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon Pixma Pro-100

http://www.adorama.com/ICAPRO100.html?EmailPrice=T

for $89 including shipping...

Aug 23, 2013 at 05:15 AM
ydd88

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon Pixma Pro-100

I am selling both the pro 10 and pro 100. PM if interested.

Nov 22, 2013 at 12:52 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.