New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Moraine Lake-A different interpretation of it

Jglaser757
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Moraine Lake-A different interpretation of it

I took this image about two weeks ago.. I desaturated everything just a pinch( there is still some color) but the lake,,It was just lacking so much color in the mountains and looked so dull that I thought this might be a better take on it. C and C

Jul 17, 2013 at 09:30 AM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Moraine Lake-A different interpretation of it

It looks like selective color. The intense color of the lake compared to the muted color of the rest is jarring.

I really think it would work well as a B&W.

Jul 17, 2013 at 09:41 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Moraine Lake-A different interpretation of it

Pretty scene.
I am with Doug. I would rather see you choose BW or color rather than this compromise.
Scott

Jul 17, 2013 at 09:46 AM
Jglaser757
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Moraine Lake-A different interpretation of it

Here are an unprocessed version,,I can see where I got lost and increased the saturation on the lake,,Oops and another quickly converted to BW

Maybe I have to start over??

Jul 17, 2013 at 09:50 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Moraine Lake-A different interpretation of it

quick look, bad monitor
both color and BW seem viable enough to me
BW could use more contrast overall, in the water

Scott

Jul 17, 2013 at 10:11 AM
Jglaser757
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Moraine Lake-A different interpretation of it

no color saturation,just blended three images due to scene having such different contrasting regions

Jul 17, 2013 at 11:11 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Moraine Lake-A different interpretation of it

I'm kinda diggin' (sorta) the selective color concept on this one.

I don't care for the cyanic water color, nor the degree of selective color separation, but I think that your concept at using varying saturation to help draw the eye / make distinction @ the elements has merit if applied more judiciously.

Obviously, it will be more of an artist rendering than a classic image, but I think it might actually work better here than many instances where it just gets the automatic "cheesy" PS stuff. A judicious hand/eye will be the key. Of course, the classic B&W can be strong also.

Jul 17, 2013 at 11:14 AM
Jglaser757
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Moraine Lake-A different interpretation of it

RustyBug wrote:
I'm kinda diggin' (sorta) the selective color concept on this one.

I don't care for the cyanic water color, nor the degree of selective color separation, but I think that your concept at using varying saturation to help draw the eye / make distinction @ the elements has merit if applied more judiciously.

Obviously, it will be more of an artist rendering than a classic image, but I think it might actually work better here than many instances where it just gets the automatic "cheesy" PS stuff. A judicious hand/eye will be the key. Of course, the classic B&W can
...Show more

Thanks for the feedback,,the water really was that color,,even correcting for wb!

Jul 17, 2013 at 11:36 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Moraine Lake-A different interpretation of it

Jglaser757 wrote
the water really was that color

Reminds me of a bio-hazard downstream of a chem plant illegally dumping.

Jul 17, 2013 at 05:33 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Moraine Lake-A different interpretation of it

Another consideration in the composition of the photo is whether the 2 straggly tree tops in the foreground are essential or might be cloned out. In my opinion, they seem to be an inelegant distraction. I usually try to put something in the foreground when I'm composing, but don't think this works.

Jul 18, 2013 at 07:41 AM
soldeace

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Moraine Lake-A different interpretation of it

I like very much the colors of the sky and the mountains in the desaturated version. I would like it better if the lake had the same tones, that "bluish kind of black and white". If not, perhaps a b&w conversion enhancing local contrast and simulating a yellow filter (if you let me, I may try something on the jpg you've posted).

Also, are you aware that your uploaded image has an AdobeRGB profile embedded? Depending on the browser, people may see it with wrong colors on their monitors.

Jul 18, 2013 at 01:36 PM
Jglaser757
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Moraine Lake-A different interpretation of it

Decided on these two images...no hodge podge stuff,no desaturation..just WB and increased contrast to match up to the bw more. I thought about removing the trees also, but the distraction is part of the iconic scene

thanks

I prefer the bw but the color of the water off the glaciers is just amazing and surreal.

Jul 18, 2013 at 03:10 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Moraine Lake-A different interpretation of it

RustyBug wrote:
Reminds me of a bio-hazard downstream of a chem plant illegally dumping.

Hmmm, color profile might be an issue. This is what I'm seeing (Firefox) in your original post.

Jul 18, 2013 at 05:30 PM
Jglaser757
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Moraine Lake-A different interpretation of it

RustyBug wrote:
Hmmm, color profile might be an issue. This is what I'm seeing (Firefox) in your original post.

my monitor is calibrated.

i guess I can bring the blue color down a little bit!

Jul 18, 2013 at 09:31 PM
Jglaser757
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Moraine Lake-A different interpretation of it

here is one with the water in the lake desaturated just a pinch!

Jul 18, 2013 at 09:33 PM
pinball_pw
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Moraine Lake-A different interpretation of it

The lake really is that color in the summer. It always seems fake to those who haven't seen it in person. I like your three shot blend the best myself. You may want to take a look at the Canadian $20 bill - Paul

Jul 22, 2013 at 05:31 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Moraine Lake-A different interpretation of it

Okay, checked out google and saw colors all over the board (assuming different times of year, etc.).

What is it that is giving it such a unique color pallete that it takes on such a neon cyan? I've seen some limestone rich areas that influence water color. Is this a mineral property or a lighting (absence of red) phenomenon specific to that topography/geography where not much warm light gets down in there, or something else.

Jul 23, 2013 at 12:02 AM
pinball_pw
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Moraine Lake-A different interpretation of it

It comes from the glacial run off. The silt particles are suspended in the water and provide that hue. There are a number of glacier fed lakes up there that are similar in nature.

Below, you can see a photo of lake Peyto that is north of this lake with the same color. On the left in the photo is the moraine field which is the area that the glacial run off goes through on the way to the lake.
http://paulwarren.smugmug.com/Other/Summer-2012/i-TRLmwJP/0/XL/Peyto%20Lake-13-FM-XL.jpg

I can pull this down if the OP likes.
Cheers - Paul

Jul 23, 2013 at 06:18 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Moraine Lake-A different interpretation of it

Gotcha @ silt ... thanks.

Jul 23, 2013 at 11:05 AM
Jglaser757
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Moraine Lake-A different interpretation of it

RustyBug wrote:
Okay, checked out google and saw colors all over the board (assuming different times of year, etc.).

What is it that is giving it such a unique color pallete that it takes on such a neon cyan? I've seen some limestone rich areas that influence water color. Is this a mineral property or a lighting (absence of red) phenomenon specific to that topography/geography where not much warm light gets down in there, or something else.

Yeah,,when I first saw the pics from there I was sure it was photoshopped! But,,then I did some more google research, and bammo! I found a lake with my favorite color,,TEAL..or turquoise (if thats what you wanna call it)

So bizarre, but beautiful!!

Jul 27, 2013 at 09:32 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.