Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · switching from nex to m43 because of better ~50mm ?

sebboh
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · switching from nex to m43 because of better ~50mm ?

mawz wrote:
Personally, as a current OM-D and former NEX-7 user, I'd pick the NEX for the Voigt lens, IBIS is nice, but it's a heck of a lot easier to focus with the 7 between focus peaking, the higher-resolution EVF and the better located magnification button (OM-D has no option for magnification anywhere near as conveniently located as the AF/MF button on the 7).

+1

also, my memory of the tests i've seen is that the cv 35/1.2 is a lot better landscape lens stopped down than the cv 25/.95 and both are about equal wide open (though with different characters).

Jul 19, 2013 at 12:59 AM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · switching from nex to m43 because of better ~50mm ?

I guess I just found focus peaking inaccurate with too contrasty EVF's. I usually had to rack focus back and forth a few times to locate the focal plane then land it where I needed it. Manual focus with a normal high refresh rate high dynamic range EVF is just easier for me.

Then again, manual focus totally sucks compared to a split prism OVF.

Jul 19, 2013 at 01:04 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · switching from nex to m43 because of better ~50mm ?

FlyPenFly wrote:

gotta disagree there, my keeper rate for moving people/animals with large apertures is higher with my NEX-7 than with either of my film bodies (which is pretty high to begin with), and those film bodies have much nicer viewfinders than current FF dslrs.

Jul 19, 2013 at 03:23 AM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · switching from nex to m43 because of better ~50mm ?

Really? I had the Katz screen on my D7000 and could nail focus so fast on that thing.

Jul 19, 2013 at 06:08 AM
ulrikft2
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · switching from nex to m43 because of better ~50mm ?

I have very good eyesight, and focus on the d700 with a split prism is nowhere near the focus on my nex-7.

Jul 19, 2013 at 06:46 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · switching from nex to m43 because of better ~50mm ?

FlyPenFly wrote:
Really? I had the Katz screen on my D7000 and could nail focus so fast on that thing.

do you mean the d700 not the d7000? the d7000 has a good aps-c viewfinder but it still feels dark, small, and tunnel like. i'm just as fast with slrs and my NEX-7, it's how fast i can turn the focus ring and how long the throw is that limits that, but i'm more accurate with the NEX-7.

with long telephotos (>300mm) i'm a little slower with the NEX than with an slr in dim light due to the lower refresh rate though.

Jul 19, 2013 at 07:03 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

mawz
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · switching from nex to m43 because of better ~50mm ?

FlyPenFly wrote:
I guess I just found focus peaking inaccurate with too contrasty EVF's. I usually had to rack focus back and forth a few times to locate the focal plane then land it where I needed it. Manual focus with a normal high refresh rate high dynamic range EVF is just easier for me.

Focus peaking won't nail you critical focus. It will get you pretty close, and with a little practice dead on at f2-5.6. The real win with the NEX-7 and very fast lenses is the quick & easy magnification if you have it assigned to the AF/MF button. Note I also had my JPEG settings on Neutral with -3 contrast, so no contrast issues on the NEX-7.

Having shot OVF's for years, even the best OVF (like my F2a)with a good screen sucks in focus accuracy compared to the NEX-7 EVF. My hit rate went up noticeably when I switched to EVF's, and it wasn't exactly bad with OVF's (went from ~80-85% to around 95%).

Jul 19, 2013 at 12:13 PM
Jeff Kott
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · switching from nex to m43 because of better ~50mm ?

mawz wrote:
Having shot OVF's for years, even the best OVF (like my F2a)with a good screen sucks in focus accuracy compared to the NEX-7 EVF. My hit rate went up noticeably when I switched to EVF's, and it wasn't exactly bad with OVF's (went from ~80-85% to around 95%).

+1

I've had Kayz Eye split prism screens with the microprism collar installed and checked by Katz Eye in my Pentax K10D and K 5 and Nikon D300. Accuracy rate for critical focus was 70-80% versus 90% + on my Nex 7. That's why I use my Pentax limited lenses on my Nex 7 and sold my K 5.

Jul 19, 2013 at 06:16 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · switching from nex to m43 because of better ~50mm ?

Actually where I found EVFs really useful was for nailing focus on tripod UWA shots. It was much easier to check corners and infinity to make sure I got the foreground in focus as well. Magnifying corners was very helpful especially since UWA lenses generally have a lot of corner vignetting.

As far as every day shooting with a 35 or 50mm or 100mm, I just found optical finders faster to focus for me. I had the A850 and D7000 focus screens, I used the M focus screen on my A850. Things just snapped into focus for me very quickly when shooting with my ZF.2 35mm F2 vs the NEX-7 where I always had more hesitation if things were in focus or not.

I do have extremely good near vision though.

Jul 19, 2013 at 06:20 PM
MarcG19
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · switching from nex to m43 because of better ~50mm ?

I have the EM-5 and the Voightlander 25 f/0.95 and I'm VERY big fan that combo (though whether or not it's many $00s better than the Panny 25 1.4, or any 50mm equivalent is a perfectly valid question). I've never had a NEX, but every once in a while I toy with the idea of switching to NEX; thanks to ulirkft2 for pointing it out - looks very close to the EM-5 + Voight 25mm combo for m4/3.

There's a filter on the EM-5, key lime, that works as ersatz focus peaking. If the camera's set to raw, the JPG in this filter mode will be in "key lime", but the RAW file will just be a normal RAW. A bit of a pain, but more than worth it for manual focus.

Robin Wong's review of the EP-5 says that the focus peaking works well for manual focus still photography. IMO, this alone makes it worth choosing the EP-5 over the EM-5 for the manual focus shooter, if one had not already bought a camera.

Jul 21, 2013 at 01:44 AM
millsart
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · switching from nex to m43 because of better ~50mm ?

the stabilized VF image on the EP-5/OM-D can't be underestimated as well. Makes zoomed in focusing much easier since its jumping around less on you

Jul 21, 2013 at 05:11 AM
mawz
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · switching from nex to m43 because of better ~50mm ?

millsart wrote:
the stabilized VF image on the EP-5/OM-D can't be underestimated as well. Makes zoomed in focusing much easier since its jumping around less on you

I find it very useful with longer lenses, but of little use with a normal or even a short telephoto where I'm simply not getting much jumping around.

I find I use magnification a fair bit less on the OM-D than I did on the NEX-7 (and thus have a lower hit rate for certain kinds of shots), it's just less well implemented and thus more hassle to use (mostly due to the lack of a really conveniently located button, if I could reassign the Menu button to magnification I'd probably use it more).

Jul 21, 2013 at 04:03 PM
       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password