Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2013 · OT - Simply brilliant - 5DMK iii owners rejoice - ML Improves 5D Mark II...

mjoshi
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · OT - Simply brilliant - 5DMK iii owners rejoice - ML Improves 5D Mark III Dynamic Range to 14 stops

From Magic Lantern

Magic Lantern Improves 5D Mark III Dynamic Range to 14 Stops

The Magic Lantern team is letting the world know that they are at the beginning of a new function for the 5D Mark III and EOS 7D. Apparently they’ve figured out a way to boost dynamic range by 3 stops by using a new way of making a photograph by using ISO 100 for some of the vertical lines and ISO 1600 for the rest of it. Sounds wild to us, not sure how they’re doing that. There will be a process to combining the lines of 100/1600 ISO to give you the full resolution file.

http://blog.planet5d.com/2013/07/magic-lantern-improves-canon-eos-5d-mark-iii-dynamic-range-to-14-stops-major-landmark/

Jul 16, 2013 at 09:27 PM
sboerup
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · OT - Simply brilliant - 5DMK iii owners rejoice - ML Improves 5D Mark III Dynamic Range to 14 stops

Crazy stuff. I want to know how they are doing all this research and not charging anything for their work.

Jul 16, 2013 at 09:42 PM
mjoshi
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · OT - Simply brilliant - 5DMK iii owners rejoice - ML Improves 5D Mark III Dynamic Range to 14 stops

sboerup wrote:
Crazy stuff. I want to know how they are doing all this research and not charging anything for their work.

All your photos belong to them , seriously this guys are genius - May Force be with them...

Jul 16, 2013 at 09:46 PM
jcolman
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · OT - Simply brilliant - 5DMK iii owners rejoice - ML Improves 5D Mark III Dynamic Range to 14 stops

No thanks. I'm more than happy with my cameras as is. I really don't care to risk my $2800 cameras for something that I don't need.

However I do appreciate their research.

Jul 16, 2013 at 10:10 PM
Mitch W
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · OT - Simply brilliant - 5DMK iii owners rejoice - ML Improves 5D Mark III Dynamic Range to 14 stops

Dang, I was hoping it was a fix to AF point illumination!

Jul 16, 2013 at 10:19 PM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · OT - Simply brilliant - 5DMK iii owners rejoice - ML Improves 5D Mark III Dynamic Range to 14 stops

Very cool. Don't need it.

Jul 16, 2013 at 10:22 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · OT - Simply brilliant - 5DMK iii owners rejoice - ML Improves 5D Mark III Dynamic Range to 14 stops

Mitch W wrote:
I was hoping it was a fix to AF point illumination!

Haha. That was my first thought.

Jul 16, 2013 at 10:42 PM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · OT - Simply brilliant - 5DMK iii owners rejoice - ML Improves 5D Mark III Dynamic Range to 14 stops

sboerup wrote:

Maybe hoping Canon acquires them or licenses something?

Jul 16, 2013 at 10:47 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · OT - Simply brilliant - 5DMK iii owners rejoice - ML Improves 5D Mark III Dynamic Range to 14 stops

Can't wait to hear about the first person to brick their camera for something they didn't need.

Jul 16, 2013 at 10:49 PM
camerausername
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · OT - Simply brilliant - 5DMK iii owners rejoice - ML Improves 5D Mark III Dynamic Range to 14 stops

Sounds great!

this method messes with the feedback loop for optical black, for example. Therefore, it’s safe to assume it can fry the sensor or do other nasty things.

Never mind.

Jul 16, 2013 at 10:55 PM
Micky Bill
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · OT - Simply brilliant - 5DMK iii owners rejoice - ML Improves 5D Mark III Dynamic Range to 14 stops

camerausername wrote:
Sounds great!

Never mind.

Everything they do , thy put a disclaimer on it saying if you brick your camera they warned you.
If you are not scared they really do some amazing things, primarily in the video side of things.

I figure Canon will either squish them like a bug with a giant lawsuit or acquire them and begin divying up the features between cameras and charging a lot.

If anyone will get canons to focus like they should it'll be ML

Jul 17, 2013 at 03:04 AM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · OT - Simply brilliant - 5DMK iii owners rejoice - ML Improves 5D Mark III Dynamic Range to 14 stops

ML has been doing this stuff pretty successfully for a good many years. Those who are worried about messing up their camera are those who are obviously not familiar with the mod world.....especially the experienced groups and individuals such as ML.

Large firms are not the only ones that has knowledge of electronics. Many of them become who they are because they acquire smaller businesses or hire individuals who know what the heck they are doing.

Jul 17, 2013 at 09:37 AM
mjoshi
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · OT - Simply brilliant - 5DMK iii owners rejoice - ML Improves 5D Mark III Dynamic Range to 14 stops

cordellwillis wrote:
ML has been doing this stuff pretty successfully for a good many years. Those who are worried about messing up their camera are those who are obviously not familiar with the mod world.....especially the experienced groups and individuals such as ML.

Large firms are not the only ones that has knowledge of electronics. Many of them become who they are because they acquire smaller businesses or hire individuals who know what the heck they are doing.

+1 - its not for crowd that uses everything as it is subscribed by manufacturer.

Jul 17, 2013 at 09:50 AM
Ghost
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · OT - Simply brilliant - 5DMK iii owners rejoice - ML Improves 5D Mark III Dynamic Range to 14 stops

Admittedly I've not installed ML on any of my EOS cameras. I have always been impressed with some of their breakthroughs. There are a bit more info over at the Canon section.

14 stops of DR

However there are some caveats. It is interesting. Will be watching it. Right now the 5d3 is so darn good that I don't see any need to try this. Now if ML has a way to improve the slow SD performance I would be all over it.

Jul 17, 2013 at 10:38 AM
TAGfan
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · OT - Simply brilliant - 5DMK iii owners rejoice - ML Improves 5D Mark III Dynamic Range to 14 stops

Dumb question - how many stops of DR do we have now?

Jul 17, 2013 at 10:49 AM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · OT - Simply brilliant - 5DMK iii owners rejoice - ML Improves 5D Mark III Dynamic Range to 14 stops

My film has 11-12 stops no problem
I once pushed HP5+ 13 full stops between developing, scanning and then LR adjustments.

Jul 17, 2013 at 12:04 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · OT - Simply brilliant - 5DMK iii owners rejoice - ML Improves 5D Mark III Dynamic Range to 14 stops

TAGfan wrote:
Dumb question - how many stops of DR do we have now?

depends .... Nikon has more than canon.

nikon is around 14 .... canon 11. then there is post processing which you can get a little more out.

Jul 17, 2013 at 12:52 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · OT - Simply brilliant - 5DMK iii owners rejoice - ML Improves 5D Mark III Dynamic Range to 14 stops

cordellwillis wrote:
ML has been doing this stuff pretty successfully for a good many years. Those who are worried about messing up their camera are those who are obviously not familiar with the mod world.

I've done some of the ML mods and, while there was no harm done to my camera, I did find them quite buggy. Certainly not ready for prime time.

Jul 17, 2013 at 01:24 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · OT - Simply brilliant - 5DMK iii owners rejoice - ML Improves 5D Mark III Dynamic Range to 14 stops

canerino wrote:
Don't need it.

Pass up that Nikon dynamic range.

Jul 17, 2013 at 01:38 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · OT - Simply brilliant - 5DMK iii owners rejoice - ML Improves 5D Mark III Dynamic Range to 14 stops

I never even knew there was any point to use ML for stills...I thought it was all video stuffs. very cool

Jul 17, 2013 at 01:45 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.