New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · New York

Gehjl
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New York

I'm thinking of getting this picture printed, but I wanted to see what you all thought I could improve on it. Post processing is still something I'm learning and figured a few extra opinions/critiques would do well! Thanks in advance!

New York by Acioara, on Flickr

Jul 16, 2013 at 09:11 PM
Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New York

maybe bring out some more texture in the clouds, the dark building middle right needs to have the shadows brought up a bit, other than that, I like it. Would look really cool on metal, BIG.

Jul 16, 2013 at 09:12 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New York

Very interesting.

Kinda hard for me to readily digest (in a good way), so I'm not sure what to suggest just yet. My question would be what is the message/vibe/point that you want your viewers to take away from it? That might prompt/guide some refinement/recommendations .

Jul 16, 2013 at 10:16 PM
Oregon Gal
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New York

Agree with the previous suggestions. I did a quick re-work to illustrate, the sky has added detail with the highlights reduced and the shadows lightened on the foreground. In you're version the overly bright sky kept pulling my eye up and out of the frame. I used luminosity masks for the effect along with a touch of Dodge and burn.

Jul 16, 2013 at 11:54 PM
Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New York

^yep, that is about what I was thinking.

Jul 17, 2013 at 05:49 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New York

I third Travis' and Kent's suggestions...great pano BTW.

Bob

Jul 17, 2013 at 07:09 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · New York

Nice image.
Agree with the processing tweak suggestions.
Overall, excellent pano, nice detail, framing, sharpness, etc.

Scott

Jul 17, 2013 at 08:00 AM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · New York

Would be most appreciative if you could go into a little detail about how you got this incredible shot. Presume it is the "Top of the Rock". Camera, lens, handheld or on tripod, software, time of day, etc. Oregon girls pp is excellent.

Jul 17, 2013 at 08:32 AM
Gehjl
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · New York

Thanks for the comments everyone and the rework Oregon Gal! I like it and I'll make the adjustments mentioned before getting it printed. And yes Travis, the plans is to get this printed large on metal and hang it above my couch . I figured the black and white would look great on metal.

The original shot is a composition of 5 portrait frames taken from the "Top of the Rock". Camera is a 5Dc, 16-35L II, handheld, and time of day was around noon if I remember correctly. It was bright enough to let me shoot at f11, iso 100, 1/80. Edited the original frames with lightroom, stitched together with Photoshop, details in sky brought out with Viveza 2, and converted to B&W using Silver Efex Pro.

I also got these 2 from the same location, but around sunset (these were done by laying the camera on the ledge, using the timer, and having the neck strap tied securely around my hand!):

Sunset from Top of the Rock by Acioara, on Flickr

NYC lights from Top of the Rock by Acioara, on Flickr

Jul 17, 2013 at 01:14 PM
Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · New York

I think the lights have been pushed a little far in that second one, they start to dominate. I have a shot similar to that from my trip there, but our weather SUCKED. I actually got to use my tripod though...since the weather was so bad, there was no one up there and they let me use it.

Jul 17, 2013 at 01:26 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.