Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Delicate Arch Pano...should the people stay or go?

Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Delicate Arch Pano...should the people stay or go?

I have been working on this image for a few days now...getting the stitch just right, it is made up of 5 vertical images, from the 5DII and 24-70 and little bits of it did not stitch well in CS 4, so some of it had to be done manually...I think I have the proportions where I want them...and now I am trying to decide whether or not to leave the people...leave them, crop them or work to clone them out?
Kinda have to ignore sharpness...this is reduced down to 1200 pixels wide, the original is almost 11000 pixels wide...

thoughts...

Jul 16, 2013 at 09:11 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Delicate Arch Pano...should the people stay or go?

Nice pano Travis.

The people don't really concern me as much as the formation at the left edge for the crop. If you decide to leave it, then the people can stay or go ... I don't think it matters much as they as so small and at the far edge.

Here's a crop for consideration at how the removal of the left edge formation relates to where your eye is being drawn ... food for thought. I might work a bit to feather the "double shadow" at LLC, as it draws me a bit that way.

Jul 16, 2013 at 10:06 PM
Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Delicate Arch Pano...should the people stay or go?

You are probably right, that formation does distract a little, I was hoping it would anchor that side. I agree, that odd shadow is distracting, but I couldn't figure out what to do about it, the attempts I made, well they looked very rough, and not clean...

Jul 17, 2013 at 05:48 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Delicate Arch Pano...should the people stay or go?

The people add an element of scale, but maybe that is not necessary. No suggestions about the shadow

Bob

Jul 17, 2013 at 07:39 AM
Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Delicate Arch Pano...should the people stay or go?

Bob, that element of scale was the only thing that made me want to include them. Before I went to ANP, I didn't realize how big that arch was until I started to see pictures of it with people...

yeah, that odd shadow is gonna be a real PITA...I might try to work on it again tonight...been working on this image for a while now, what is a few more minutes or hours right? I am wondering if that is one more area that did not stitch well that I missed and need to work on.

Jul 17, 2013 at 07:42 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Delicate Arch Pano...should the people stay or go?

Good point @ scale ... Actually, I had thought how the people nearer the arch could be nice for that same reason.

Tough call re: scale vs. draw the eye, but I'm with Bob at necessary or not for scale. I think if you didn't have the mountain feature in the BG, it would be more important, but I think you'll be okay either way regarding the scale aspect.

Also, you might wait until after you resolve your shadow before you decide your people/crop/scale/draw as that may change the draw somewhat too.

Jul 17, 2013 at 10:07 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Delicate Arch Pano...should the people stay or go?

I'd suggest using the clone stamp to recreate the shadow edge.

Jul 17, 2013 at 04:04 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Delicate Arch Pano...should the people stay or go?

I too like the people in the photo. It gives a sense of scale and interest. But the composition would be better if there was some space between the people and the left border. I'd use the clone tool to extend the left frame to create that space.

Jul 17, 2013 at 04:25 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.