Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2013 · Magic Lantern improves 5D3 dynamic range to 14 stops!

anthonysemone
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Magic Lantern improves 5D3 dynamic range to 14 stops!

hehe, gotta love the section on "debricking."

Jul 17, 2013 at 02:31 PM
dgdg
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Magic Lantern improves 5D3 dynamic range to 14 stops!

Exactly.

I've always been intrigued by ML, but I do enjoy treating my camera like an appliance. Going from a 5DIII to a paper weight is unlikely, but I just don't need the hassles. I know others use ML and love it. Shooting very little video, I have yet to see the ML 'killer app' in a well tested package that would take me to ML. Focus peeking would be nice, but not a killer feature for me. Maybe this will be the one.....

Jul 17, 2013 at 04:40 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Magic Lantern improves 5D3 dynamic range to 14 stops!

dgdg wrote:
Exactly.

I've always been intrigued by ML, but I do enjoy treating my camera like an appliance. Going from a 5DIII to a paper weight is unlikely, but I just don't need the hassles. I know others use ML and love it. Shooting very little video, I have yet to see the ML 'killer app' in a well tested package that would take me to ML. Focus peeking would be nice, but not a killer feature for me. Maybe this will be the one.....

Try RAW video and there is your killer app! Quality is 10000x better than native video. And you get not just focus peaking, but magic focus box, zebras, RAW histogram, ability to record audio only clips, built-in intervalometer, etc. etc. etc.

Jul 17, 2013 at 05:40 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Magic Lantern improves 5D3 dynamic range to 14 stops!

anthonysemone wrote:
hehe, gotta love the section on "debricking."

1. it's is crazy unlikely
2. you can debrick it anyway

I've used the pre-alphas even for months and not a hint of bricking and I haven't heard of a single person who has bricked it from the RAW video pre-alphas.

If you want a real how about paying 4x more to get the same video quality just in order to be safe from the odd chance of a bricking. That makes sense.... .

Edited on Jul 17, 2013 at 06:08 PM · View previous versions

Jul 17, 2013 at 05:42 PM
super35
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Magic Lantern improves 5D3 dynamic range to 14 stops!

For still photographers who are not interested in video, ML still has "killer apps" as well. These haven't gotten the mega hype that raw video has gotten, but they are still incredible leaps that no other cameras offer.

ML killer apps for still photographers:

1. raw histogram... exactly what it sounds like, a true raw histogram.

2. Auto ETTR... automatically (with adjustable parameters) expose to the right based on analysis of the true raw data coming off the sensor. In manual mode, you set ISO, Av and Tv, ML will determine the optimum ISO and shutter speed needed to maximize the S/N ratio without clipping any highlights. You can set a minimum shutter speed you do not want to go below, you can also set it to allow a percentage of clipping in each channel if you desire.

3. Dual ISO - expand dynamic range in a single exposure. (5D3, 7D only)

These are huge, HUGE wins for Canon DSLR users.

Jul 17, 2013 at 06:03 PM
anthonysemone
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Magic Lantern improves 5D3 dynamic range to 14 stops!

FWIW,

I could care less about video. Which still-photo ML "killer app(s)" is it/are they, that allow your #'s 1, 2, 3?

Edit: it's qualifiers like this that deter me (version 2.3 apparently)

"And, remember that this software can damage or destroy your camera." (last sentence on the page)

taken from here: http://wiki.magiclantern.fm/install#step_1_preparing_your_camera

Jul 17, 2013 at 06:20 PM
johnctharp
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Magic Lantern improves 5D3 dynamic range to 14 stops!

Focus peeking- still don't know why Canon doesn't include this in the firmware, along with highlight and shadow warnings, makes using manual glass a dream.

Jul 17, 2013 at 06:39 PM
super35
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Magic Lantern improves 5D3 dynamic range to 14 stops!

raw histogram, Auto ETTR, Dual ISO, and raw video are newly developed features in the nightly builds right now. These are leading edge alpha versions with new features, fine tuning, etc. happening on an almost daily basis. It is not for the faint of heart. The chances of bricking a camera are slim, but still there, so act accordingly.

The blunt truth: One should understand that Magic Lantern requires an amount of due diligence (mostly the willingness and ability to read and comprehend) that goes beyond the level of mainstream individuals.

Jul 17, 2013 at 08:49 PM
johnctharp
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Magic Lantern improves 5D3 dynamic range to 14 stops!

I will say that I used several versions of ML with several versions of 60D firmware without issue. Easy to install, and the only usability issue is that you can't format your cards in camera, since ML is installed on the card, unless you then put the ML files back afterwards. You can simply delete the data though, which works in a pinch.

For the 60D, a slow and outdated camera compared to the 7D/5D III with respect to functionality and processor speed, ML was a dream to use for any number of features. I can only hope that the ML team is able to continue porting their software to newer cameras with updated processors and firmware!

Jul 17, 2013 at 08:57 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Magic Lantern improves 5D3 dynamic range to 14 stops!

anthonysemone wrote:
FWIW,

I could care less about video. Which still-photo ML "killer app(s)" is it/are they, that allow your #'s 1, 2, 3?

Edit: it's qualifiers like this that deter me (version 2.3 apparently)

"And, remember that this software can damage or destroy your camera." (last sentence on the page)

taken from here: http://wiki.magiclantern.fm/install#step_1_preparing_your_camera

Eh, practically any add-on for anything adds in that sort of discalimer.

Jul 17, 2013 at 09:28 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

anthonysemone
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Magic Lantern improves 5D3 dynamic range to 14 stops!

super35 wrote:
raw histogram, Auto ETTR, Dual ISO, and raw video are newly developed features in the nightly builds right now. These are leading edge alpha versions with new features, fine tuning, etc. happening on an almost daily basis. It is not for the faint of heart. The chances of bricking a camera are slim, but still there, so act accordingly.

The blunt truth: One should understand that Magic Lantern requires an amount of due diligence (mostly the willingness and ability to read and comprehend) that goes beyond the level of mainstream individuals.

Good point, super35, especially for folks as mainstream as I am.

Jul 17, 2013 at 10:42 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Magic Lantern improves 5D3 dynamic range to 14 stops!

anthonysemone wrote:
I could care less about video.

How much less?

Jul 18, 2013 at 12:25 AM
anthonysemone
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Magic Lantern improves 5D3 dynamic range to 14 stops!

Gee, BrianO, now I know how you got to 8k posts

Jul 18, 2013 at 12:47 AM
R3medy

p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Magic Lantern improves 5D3 dynamic range to 14 stops!

So they had to practically combine 2 shots into one to get something only remotely close to what You get from every modern Nikon or Pentax out of the box. Dunno if it's something to cheer about or cry/laugh... haven't decided yet.

Jul 18, 2013 at 10:34 PM
kodakeos
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Magic Lantern improves 5D3 dynamic range to 14 stops!

Yea, but that Nikon cant be used at over ISO 1600 lol

Jul 19, 2013 at 12:54 AM
snapsy
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Magic Lantern improves 5D3 dynamic range to 14 stops!

kodakeos wrote:
Yea, but that Nikon cant be used at over ISO 1600 lol

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1124157/0

Jul 19, 2013 at 02:12 AM
kevindar
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Magic Lantern improves 5D3 dynamic range to 14 stops!

For video, canon already had the lead, even before ML, b/c of sharper video images. with ML, its in a different league with shooting raw video, and all the focus functionality. This new addition is further useful, as it avoids motion artifacts.
For stills, I is a compromise. The group of photographers that have most desired the extra dynamic range have been landscape photographers. Loss of resolution, and interpolation artifacts is not something that sits very well with them. additionally, this needs to be further modified to also take a straight 100 ISO image, without interpolation. many times you really don't know if you need that extra DR, and since it comes at a cost (processing, as well as image quality) I would always like to play with my traditional image first and see if I even need the extra DR.

Jul 19, 2013 at 02:23 PM
PhilDrinkwater
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Magic Lantern improves 5D3 dynamic range to 14 stops!

High DR hasn't affected my market at all (weddings) that I know of. That said, I do slightly look forward to cleaner shadows just because it'd be nice to have, but I don't really need it often.

While the ML guys are amazing, it's not something I'll be using.

Jul 19, 2013 at 03:50 PM
R3medy

p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Magic Lantern improves 5D3 dynamic range to 14 stops!

kevindar wrote:
For video, canon already had the lead, even before ML, b/c of sharper video images. with ML,(...)

Seems like You understand sharpness differently to the rest of humanity.

https://vimeo.com/42065372#at=0

Jul 19, 2013 at 04:16 PM
johnctharp
• • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Magic Lantern improves 5D3 dynamic range to 14 stops!

R3medy wrote:
Seems like You understand sharpness differently to the rest of humanity.

https://vimeo.com/42065372#at=0

Thanks for sharing that Kevin. I didn't realize how well the D800 was doing in good light performance, though I have to wonder if there wasn't an issue with his lens setup. That doesn't make sense for someone like him in my mind, but I'd honestly expect both the Canon and the Nikon to record video that is as sharp as the recording format they're using, since they are both using far more than the ~2MP required by the output videos. I know that aspect ratios reduce the total sensor resolution available for video, but it has to be a lot more than 2MP.

And the Nikon D4's performance? That's just scary .

Jul 19, 2013 at 06:29 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password