New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · P&P practice

GWMT
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · P&P practice

Learning to use photoshop, sort of. Any feedback would be great, I want to learn whats right and whats wrong with what I'm doing.

Backyard Iris

Jul 16, 2013 at 02:56 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · P&P practice

My initial thoughts: brilliant colors but likely overcooked. I made some notations on the image below.

The second shows clipped areas in the shadows - indicated by blue - in Lightroom. ACR would give you the same response since LR and CS use the same ACR engine. I was not able to adjust exposure or anything else to move darks to a non-clipped state without driving the highlights completely bonkers. In short, to me the image is way over-saturated.

Did you shoot RAW? If so, you have some headroom to reprocess. JPG, out of luck, at least from my skill-set.

There is also some fringing at left (CR chromatic aberration) that I couldn't resolve in LR.

Perhaps someone else can provide better results using CSn?

This is an extremely difficult subject to get right. My experiences suggest the brilliant color really blasts the sensor driving it beyond its capability. Yellows are probably the most aggressive. Now if you want to pursue BW you have an excellent starting point! Getting things back into a reasonable dynamic range has a cost - loss of detail.

Hopefully someone else can offer a better solution?

Regards,

Bob

Jul 16, 2013 at 07:01 PM
GWMT
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · P&P practice

Thanks Bob, I still have the raw, so I'll try it again. It might be a few days, I have surgery tomarrow.

Jul 16, 2013 at 11:09 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · P&P practice

+1 @ Bob, looks a bit overcooked.

GL with surgery ... looking forward to seeing round 2 and maybe the raw (resized)/original/sooc.

Jul 16, 2013 at 11:57 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · P&P practice

GWMT wrote:
Thanks Bob, I still have the raw, so I'll try it again. It might be a few days, I have surgery tomarrow.

Not a problem - good luck with the surgery.

And I'll probably be offline Friday-Sunday so take your time. If you want at some point maybe you can either mail or 'drop' the raw so we have a common starting point?

Best,

Bob

Jul 17, 2013 at 07:07 AM
Jglaser757
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · P&P practice

Ile others have said, looks like too much was done with the colors..I think your lighting is a little stong too!!

Jul 17, 2013 at 09:22 AM
GWMT
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · P&P practice

I went back to photoshop and tried not to burn it up, although I just got home from surgery, I might be a little loopie yet. PM me with a email address and I'll send the raw file, if possible, to see what you guys can do. It might just be a "round file" pic to start with. I'am going to look at more photoshop tutorials online and try to figure this out, I want to go FF with some L glass, but if I just stink at this, maybe not. Thank you for your time and consideration, please don't let this interfear with any thing that is important, I'm just having fun with this wonderful hobby.

Edited on Jul 20, 2013 at 10:34 AM · View previous versions

Jul 17, 2013 at 05:25 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · P&P practice

Much, much better - keep taking whatever it is you're taking

PM'd you

Bob

Jul 17, 2013 at 06:08 PM
Oregon Gal
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · P&P practice

The image posted is dark and over saturated. I applied the oil paint filter in CS6, blurred the backround (green leaves) slightly and lightened the image overall. I also added a vignette. This is just one way to process the image. You might consider cropping down from the top about 1/2 way to the flower.

Jul 17, 2013 at 09:46 PM
GWMT
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · P&P practice

Thank you for the time, it gives me more things to consider in cs6, there's alot.

Jul 17, 2013 at 10:18 PM
Jglaser757
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · P&P practice

GWMT wrote:
Thank you for the time, it gives me more things to consider in cs6, there's alot.

I think your off to a great start. I went ff years ago and never regretted my move. I went full force and got canon L glass also. I grew into my mkii and loved every Minute of it . And, I'm still learning three years later. It never stops and I even reprocess images that I took back in. The beginning because I have learned new things in pp.

Jul 17, 2013 at 11:31 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · P&P practice

Or, if you're still jonesin' for the over the top saturation....

Jul 17, 2013 at 11:55 PM
cherubino
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · P&P practice

Hope surgery goes well for you. I always have trouble with flower shots in direct light. Try diffusing the light or waiting until no direct light is on the flower. Keep shooting!
Cherubino

Jul 18, 2013 at 06:01 AM
GWMT
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · P&P practice

Thank you for the feedback. Karen your fliker page is wonderful, as is your info here, I need to figure out the mask thing in layers. I'am reading my photoshop for dumbies right now.

Jul 18, 2013 at 07:58 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · P&P practice

Thanks! It's fairly easy once you master a few basics of selection and reusing selections for multiple layers. For example, I used the magic wand tool to select the flowers. Then clicked on refine edge and used the radius slider to refine the edges of the selection and clicked on the Select pull down and clicked on Inverse to select everything except the flowers. Then I clicked on Layer>New Adjustment Layer>Exposure to create an exposure layer using the background selection. After making the gamma change, I moved the cursor to the selection mask on the layers panel for the exposure layer and did a Command-click (Mac) to select the mask and a Select>Inverse to make a selection of the flowers. Then I clicked Layer>New Adjustment Layer>Exposure to make a layer based on the flowers selection and applied the exposure and gamma changes.

Jul 18, 2013 at 04:01 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · P&P practice

Took a stab at a few tweaks.

As always, S&P to taste.

Jul 19, 2013 at 01:42 PM
GWMT
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · P&P practice

I like that, looks more natural. Gary

Jul 20, 2013 at 10:36 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · P&P practice

Thanks.

The main piece is to get the color/wb adjusted by removing the blue cast. A scene like this one has no really obvious neutrals for reference, so it's certainly a trickier proposition. A gray card or color checker can really be helpful in such situations that you don't have many natural neutrals.

Imo, what happens to a lot of people first getting started (self included) is that they have a slight WB cast that mutes/reduces the contrast of their colors and they wind up grabbing for saturation and contrast to push things a bit more, and inadvertently overcook things a bit. If you can get your color/WB closer to neutral by removing casts first, than the natural contrast doesn't need to be (overly) pushed quite as hard.

Without having seen the subject in person, it's a bit of a guess / detective work to try and figure out what color the light was or how much to adjust for. But, (imo) sometimes it can be worth it.

Jul 20, 2013 at 10:05 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.