Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Nikon 600 f4 VR if your looking for one.....

allstarimaging
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon 600 f4 VR if your looking for one.....

Just a heads up for those who might be looking to purchase a used Nikon 600 f4 VR there are three of them posted for sale on the buy/sell here on FM right now. Usually maybe only two or three get posted in a year but for some reason three of them have hit the board in the last week. Might be a good opportunity to buy one if you were looking to buy a lens that is usually very difficult to find used
Jack

Jul 16, 2013 at 05:30 AM
cebseb
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon 600 f4 VR if your looking for one.....

I know. I was wondering the same thing. Is it some reflex reaction to a rumor I didn't hear about? There's been a huge influx of supertelephotos popping up on the board the past couple months. I remember having to wait 6 months for a 200mm f2 to pop up. Now it seems like every other post is one.

Jul 16, 2013 at 09:58 AM
RoyC
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon 600 f4 VR if your looking for one.....

I suspect that some of this activity might be to accumulate money for an 800 5.6.

Jul 16, 2013 at 01:44 PM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon 600 f4 VR if your looking for one.....

Very odd - but I'm keeping mine

Jul 16, 2013 at 02:43 PM
niXer
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon 600 f4 VR if your looking for one.....

Instead of one taunting me there are now 3... thanks.

I'm no where close to being able to afford a 600mm, even farther away from a valid reason to own one but lord help me if I don't want one anyway.

Jul 16, 2013 at 03:09 PM
Joseph.
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikon 600 f4 VR if your looking for one.....

Thanks for the heads up, I'll ask my wife if she wants to buy me one.

Edit: The answer is no, but thanks anyway

Edited on Jul 17, 2013 at 12:12 PM · View previous versions

Jul 16, 2013 at 03:26 PM
Gary Irwin
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikon 600 f4 VR if your looking for one.....

RoyC wrote:
I suspect that some of this activity might be to accumulate money for an 800 5.6.

Maybe. Personally, after owning Canon's 800L, I've happily reverted to a 500VR+D800. I think high MP bodies will re-write the need for long glass, even for extremists like us birders. Right now Nikon should be focusing on light weight, high performance 500/600 lenses to match their class-leading bodies. On the Canon side, the number of Canon shooters switching from the 800L to the 600IS II is instructive. Nikon needs to pay attention to the market.

Jul 16, 2013 at 04:47 PM
ScottSchupbach
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nikon 600 f4 VR if your looking for one.....

At least one is switching to the Canon for that hand holdable 600/4 IS II

Jul 16, 2013 at 07:45 PM
ScottSchupbach
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Nikon 600 f4 VR if your looking for one.....

allstarimaging wrote:
Just a heads up for those who might be looking to purchase a used Nikon 600 f4 VR there are three of them posted for sale on the buy/sell here on FM right now. Usually maybe only two or three get posted in a year but for some reason three of them have hit the board in the last week. Might be a good opportunity to buy one if you were looking to buy a lens that is usually very difficult to find used
Jack

Jack, did you buy that 600/4 VR that Jason was selling a couple weeks back?

Jul 16, 2013 at 07:50 PM
billsnature
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Nikon 600 f4 VR if your looking for one.....

As one of the 3 sellers I will weigh in on this topic.

I currently own both the Nikon 500mm VR ad the 600mm VR. The 600mm VR is great for local eagles in flight, ducks and back yard tweeties, but the weight makes it impractical to hike with in Yellowstone or the Everglades and that is why I own the 500mm VR for travel and hiking.

The Canon 600mm is interesting as it weighs about the same as the Nikon 500mm at 8.6 Lbs versus 8.5 Lbs

So here is my question to people who own both systems if not both lenses.

If you were focused on weight and limiting yourself to an 8.5 to 8.6 pound lens.

How would you trade off the extra 100mm available as the 8.6 Lb Canon 600mm IS on a 22 MP 5DIII versus the 8.5 Lb Nikon 500mm VR with a 36MP D800E?

This is the question I am struggling with today. I know on a money basis the Nikon is an outright bargain. And by adding Nikon D7100 you can get an Equivalent Focal length of 750mm and 24 MP.

Somehow I still have a feeling the Canon 600mm and 5DIII, might be the better combination.

DXO suggests little difference.

Thoughts?

This is what has me listing my 600mmVR for sale. Might be a mistake as I am back and forth every day. But current thinking is I might be able to sell both Nikons forth one Canon.
So far no interest in selling the Nikon 500mm VR. I know I can live with its weight, but the Canon 800mm IS and the 600mm VR are just too heavy for my taste, age and stamina.

Thanks
Bill

Jul 16, 2013 at 10:21 PM
Gary Irwin
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Nikon 600 f4 VR if your looking for one.....

Hi Bill;

Perhaps I shouldn't respond to your post as I don't really satisfy your criteria, but I always have an opinion! I've been shooting Nikon for about 7 years -- have a lot of experience with D300+500VR. While I was waiting for Nikon to release it's new cameras last year I got bored and decided to pick up a 1D4 and 800L to try out -- used it continuously for about 5 months. I was interested to see how I liked a fast crop camera (1D4) and then state-of-the-art long glass (800L). The 800L was excellent; sharp, fast AF and reasonably light, even for hand holding, but I was surprised how difficult the 1D4 was to use -- it was always blowing highlights or losing detail in the mush of the shadows. Definitely not what I was used to with my old D300.

So after the dust settled on the focus debacle I finally bought a D800 last fall to use with my 500VR. Short answer is that sold my Canon stuff pretty quickly afterwards. As good as Canon lenses are, and especially the newer MKII teles, the slightly superior performance in Canon lenses (my opinion) and weight advantage is still easily trumped by Nikon's sensor performance. The 1Dx would be the exception, but it doesn't have enough resolution for my needs. So right now I'm staying with my D800 and will look at a D400 or D4x when released. I'm also staying with my trusty 500VR -- which yields a solid 700mm w/TC14EII that I can shoot wide open at closer ranges and not have to worry about the IQ, and is still quite hand holdable.

IMO the newer class of high-density sensors are taking the luster off the longest lenses which are increasingly looking like dinosaurs to me. What I would like more than anything right now is a light weight 7 lb fluorite based 500VRIII + dedicated TC. Here's hoping...

Jul 17, 2013 at 11:50 AM
allstarimaging
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Nikon 600 f4 VR if your looking for one.....

ScottS wrote: Jack, did you buy that 600/4 VR that Jason was selling a couple weeks back?

Hi Scott,
Yes, I did buy that one. Had a great price on a 600VR, Wimberley Head II, Gitzo tripod and bag for all of it. Happy to have it. Great lens.
Jack

Jul 17, 2013 at 01:38 PM
billsnature
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Nikon 600 f4 VR if your looking for one.....

Hi Gary,

I find your post both appropriate and insightful. I sometimes look back at my 1DIV pictures and say -Yech. Muddy browns being the worst offender. But then I get frustrated with the lack of a D400 or D4X combined with the terrible ergonomics of the 600mm VR (2 piece hood and backwards foot) and think I am ready to give 5DIII or D1x a try.

If I were smart I would pull my lens from sale and wait and see if Nikon actually delivers a D400.

Maybe it is just the frustration of Nikon Service that has me thinking about jumping ship!

Jul 17, 2013 at 05:52 PM
billsnature
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Nikon 600 f4 VR if your looking for one.....

I decided that for a change I will be smart, and decided to withdraw my 600mm VR from the buy sell forum at least until the fall. By then either Nikon will have out a D400 or D4x ..or Canon should have a replacement for the 7D, which should help make the decision a little more clear.

I still hate Nikon service (D800 back for 3rd time on AF) and the ergonomics of the 600mm VR with the 2 piece hood and backwards facing foot, but probably can't really justify a partial move to Canon.

Back to 3!

Well that was what I was thinking Last week. I think I have fallen in love with the look of posted images from 1Dx to the point I have to give it an extended try if I can find a buyer for my 600mm VR. I won't dump it at a fire sale price, but I feel compelled by equipment fever to try the Canon side (Again!)

Bill

Edited on Jul 23, 2013 at 06:59 AM · View previous versions

Jul 18, 2013 at 07:03 AM
Gary Irwin
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Nikon 600 f4 VR if your looking for one.....

Bill, I don't think you made a mistake holding off selling the 600mm in the short run, but I'd be monitoring developments pretty closely. The two things that could change the Nikon wildlife shooters landscape at this point are the announcement of new light-weight superteles from Nikon, or new high-density high DR bodies from Canon.

That being said, no matter what evolves in the future, I don't think I'll ever be interested in an 800mm in the future, and possibly not even a 600mm. The way I look at it is that if I can't get the shot with 500mm+TC14EII and 24MP DX or future 54MP FX, then a 600mm or 800mm isn't going to make enough of a difference either.

Jul 18, 2013 at 09:26 AM
ScottSchupbach
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Nikon 600 f4 VR if your looking for one.....

allstarimaging wrote:
ScottS wrote: Jack, did you buy that 600/4 VR that Jason was selling a couple weeks back?

Hi Scott,
Yes, I did buy that one. Had a great price on a 600VR, Wimberley Head II, Gitzo tripod and bag for all of it. Happy to have it. Great lens.
Jack

Jack, Good for you, that was a sweet deal on that lens.

Jul 18, 2013 at 05:43 PM
ScottSchupbach
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Nikon 600 f4 VR if your looking for one.....

billsnature wrote:
I decided that for a change I will be smart, and decided to withdraw my 600mm VR from the buy sell forum at least until the fall. By then either Nikon will have out a D400 or D4x ..or Canon should have a replacement for the 7D, which should help make the decision a little more clear.

I still hate Nikon service (D800 back for 3rd time on AF) and the ergonomics of the 600mm VR with the 2 piece hood and backwards facing foot, but probably can't really justfy a partial move to Canon.

So now only two on B/S forum.

Bill

Hey Bill,
I know where your coming from on the two piece hood and the backward facing foot.
I've not used the 600/4 but I've had the 400/2.8 VR and I never cared for the two piece hood, but I actually got used to the backward foot. Before the Nikon 400/2.8 I had the Canon 400/2.8 IS and I felt the Nikon handled better, lighter and rotated much smoother and I think that was due to the foot placement. The Canon always bound up due to how much weight was out in front of the foot.

Scott

Jul 18, 2013 at 05:50 PM
Chris Dees
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Nikon 600 f4 VR if your looking for one.....

In my Canon period I had the 500IS (on a 1DIII) and when I made the switch 5 years ago I opted for the 600VR for the extended reach as the D3/D700 where FF and had "only" 12Mpx.
I actually liked the 2 piece hood as one can leave one part off when shooting from the car or behind a blind. The foot is awkward though, but I got used to it.
Because of the weight and with the 36Mpx of the D800(E) I traded the 600VR in for a 500VR, which is much more handholdable (English? ).

With the 1.2x crop of the you get the length and still have a few pixels more than the Canon 5DIII+600IS. On the money side AFAIK know both the 5DIII and the 600IS II are (much?) more expensive than the D800E + 500VR

I'm sorry Nikon service sucks in the US, I'm glad it's much, much better in the Netherlands. No problems with the AF of my D800E (they checked it when I brought the D800E in for a check and clean). So for me there's no reason switching back. :-)

Jul 19, 2013 at 01:58 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.