New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · 5D mark3 RAW files look like crap

marko1953
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5D mark3 RAW files look like crap

I have been using the 5D Mk 3 for a few weeks now and have realised how ugly the RAW files look SOOC in Lightroom 4. They often look greenish and kind of murky. Sure I can make them look really good in Lightroom, there is low noise etc but my old 5Dc RAW files looked really good straight away. Anyone else notice this?

Jul 16, 2013 at 02:42 AM
marko1953
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5D mark3 RAW files look like crap

The shots where I see the worst are in poor light . In full sun it is not so noticeable.

Jul 16, 2013 at 03:05 AM
Dergiman
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5D mark3 RAW files look like crap

Check your Lightroom import settings!

Jul 16, 2013 at 03:15 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5D mark3 RAW files look like crap

Try converting the same RAW files in DPP and see how they look.

Jul 16, 2013 at 03:17 AM
scottam10
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5D mark3 RAW files look like crap

Mine look pretty good. LR4 uses the camera's WB setting as a starting point. Try getting your camera WB setting in the ballpark when you're taking the shot, see if that helps

Jul 16, 2013 at 03:33 AM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5D mark3 RAW files look like crap

best looking files among 8 other bodies I own last 7 years ...

Jul 16, 2013 at 05:25 AM
twistedlim
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 5D mark3 RAW files look like crap

I use DPP and with the exception that they take much longer than the 5d2 files to load they appear fine to me. Most of the time I rarely touch them.

Jul 16, 2013 at 06:51 AM
lowa2
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 5D mark3 RAW files look like crap

Post some samples. I thought the mk3 had beautiful files!

Jul 16, 2013 at 07:00 AM
bboule
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 5D mark3 RAW files look like crap

I kind of agree but I think it's just Lightroom having crappy presets for this camera.

It's not any better in LR5, and LR5 has a pile of bugs.. wish I could go back. I keep using LR cause it's great for workflow though.

I have Aperture as well, my Mac is old so I haven't subjected it to any 5D3 files but it'd be worth checking. I'll have to try DPP as well.

One thing that it's nice DPP has is it has the "camera profiles" set very nicely to mimic the in camera JPGs.. LR has camera profiles that get the color right but they don't do anything for the tone curve.

Jul 16, 2013 at 07:21 AM
mohamed alfari
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 5D mark3 RAW files look like crap

As mentioned about try using different software, I dont like raw files in Lightroom. they look better to me in aperture 3, i did the test at every version and always the same.

Jul 16, 2013 at 07:56 AM
Lan11
[X]
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 5D mark3 RAW files look like crap

"5D mark3 RAW files look like crap"

Unless the camera is defective, it is reflection of user abilities.

Jul 16, 2013 at 08:01 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 5D mark3 RAW files look like crap

Raw files from the 5DIII going into Lightroom 4 look just fine and process beautifully. Something is wrong with your setup or usage of your system.

Jul 16, 2013 at 08:02 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 5D mark3 RAW files look like crap

Something sounds off for sure, as the 5D III produces great captures. Hard to tell with what little info has been provided. How about a couple examples with full exif imbedded so we can see what you are referring to?

Jul 16, 2013 at 08:05 AM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 5D mark3 RAW files look like crap

Yup. Post us a RAW file to DL.

I too prefer Aperture to LR-- but both are plenty capable.

Could be user error (camera/sw setting), bizarre mixed lighting, or poorly implemented standard settings in LR.

The 5D was a great camera. But the two follow-up cameras are better in every way.

Jul 16, 2013 at 08:38 AM
bboule
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 5D mark3 RAW files look like crap

I'll take a stab at describing this since I had a 5D for 7 years before gettting a 5D3 last year.

It's mostly in bad lighting.. the files from the 5D would look smooth, the files from the 5D3 are higher res but show more grain & grit at 100%. The 5D3 files are better in a print in the same light.

I also think the AWB and color response is different, in bad lighting you get more color balance. Sometimes it seems harder to adjust out.

I have bad flourescent lights in one of the rooms in my house.. I get lots of weird green casts in my 5D3 raws that I open up in LR. Very hard to get rid of, even with making my own camera profile just for that room with a color checker.

I think it is more perception in looking at the image at 100% than anything. In good natural light or when the photo is actually properly lit by flash/strobe the 5D3 files are stunning.

At least in LR I think I spend more time adjusting the NR & Sharpening with the 5D3. It's like the files really demand it, and LR often produces files which look plastic or "digital" at 100%, the 5D really didn't look like that.

Jul 16, 2013 at 08:50 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 5D mark3 RAW files look like crap

bboule wrote:
At least in LR I think I spend more time adjusting the NR & Sharpening with the 5D3. It's like the files really demand it, and LR often produces files which look plastic or "digital" at 100%, the 5D really didn't look like that.

I had the 5D classic for a couple years and briefly the 5D II before I purchased the 5D III.
They are all wonderful cameras if you use the right lenses and technique all the way through to the finished product. The 5D III with improved high iso performance and focusing is a real dream to me. It takes less work to make things great. My 5DIII has never demanded the extra care you have mentioned. Nothing "plastic", but then again, I don't look at things at 100% except when I optimize noise reduction.

Jul 16, 2013 at 09:56 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 5D mark3 RAW files look like crap

bboule wrote:
I kind of agree but I think it's just Lightroom having crappy presets for this camera.

It's not any better in LR5, and LR5 has a pile of bugs.. wish I could go back. I keep using LR cause it's great for workflow though.

I have Aperture as well, my Mac is old so I haven't subjected it to any 5D3 files but it'd be worth checking. I'll have to try DPP as well.

One thing that it's nice DPP has is it has the "camera profiles" set very nicely to mimic the in camera JPGs.. LR has camera profiles that get the
...Show more

I just ordered LR5, and this is the first I've heard of LR5 having "a pile of bugs". Can you be specific as to what these bugs are and how they affect workflow and output on Win 7 machine? All reviews seem to say it is a minor upgrade from LR4 (I like the new perspective fix and the irregular shaped blending tool), but no mention of any major bugs.

Edited on Jul 16, 2013 at 10:18 AM · View previous versions

Jul 16, 2013 at 10:17 AM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 5D mark3 RAW files look like crap

Just set up a profile for importing to apply the standard features. I have everything zeroed out with a bump in sharpening. My files come out almost ready to export.

Jul 16, 2013 at 10:17 AM
nburwell
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 5D mark3 RAW files look like crap

I have not experienced any color issues from my 5DIII RAW files when I import them to LR4. And I've had my 5DIII since March. Like the others mentioned, can you post some samples?

-Nick

Jul 16, 2013 at 10:20 AM
form
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 5D mark3 RAW files look like crap

I don't really think 5d3 color is that great either. I have an easier time making skin tones look natural with 5d2 files than 5d3 files.

Jul 16, 2013 at 10:34 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.