New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · FedEx SmartPost is anything but smart

longisland.km
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · FedEx SmartPost is anything but smart

I recently ordered something from B&H and it shipped out today. Being that B&H ships out of Brooklyn (which is geographically Long Island) and the destination is on Long Island, I always opt for free shipping. It generally takes great effort for the shipping to be longer than overnight and a superhuman effort for it to take more than two days. Its just not that far, and somebody could literally walk it over in very little time.

I just checked the tracking information for the package. B&H shipped it out using FedEx SmartPost. According to the tracking information, the intermediate waypoint for the package is Allentown, PA. Now, I'm not the most geographically adept person in the world, but as far as I can tell, Allentown is almost exactly in the opposite direction in which the package is meant to go.

Amazing stuff, its like they are trying to make UPS Mail Innovations look innovative in comparison.

Jul 15, 2013 at 07:41 PM
ronfronberg
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · FedEx SmartPost is anything but smart

A lot of shipping companies use a central hub. The package will go there to be sorted then hopefully head on its merry way.

Jul 15, 2013 at 08:43 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · FedEx SmartPost is anything but smart

Yup, you could walk it home in less time.
"SmartPost" & "Mail Innovations" ...oxymorons, at best.
Gives 'em a couple of extra days to drop & kick the package around. Just sayin'

Jul 16, 2013 at 06:31 AM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · FedEx SmartPost is anything but smart

ronfronberg wrote:
A lot of shipping companies use a central hub. The package will go there to be sorted then hopefully head on its merry way.

This is what happened. It's not a matter of Point A to Point B. It needs to go through the sorting process like all the other packages. It makes perfect sense when you think about it.

Jul 16, 2013 at 10:08 AM
Ronny Mills
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · FedEx SmartPost is anything but smart

...except now it takes 3 days to Bergen County instead of one.

Amazon is now a day faster.

Jul 16, 2013 at 01:51 PM
amacal1
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · FedEx SmartPost is anything but smart

I never used to have a preference in my shipping carrier, but UPS has continually been delivering packages to me in jaw-dropping times. Meanwhile, FedEx has been frustrating, to say the least.

I have stopped ordering from newegg since they switched to FedEx for their free shipping option. Packages have taken an average of 1-2 days extra to get to me. Meanwhile, UPS is the carrier for Amazon prime's 2 day shipping option and they have yet to miss a deadline!

Jul 16, 2013 at 02:46 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · FedEx SmartPost is anything but smart

What do you expect? It's cheap!

EBH

Jul 16, 2013 at 09:43 PM
henryp
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · FedEx SmartPost is anything but smart

longisland.km wrote:
B&H shipped it out using FedEx SmartPost.

It's inexpensive enough we can continue to offer free shipping. It's reliable, package tracking is accurate (considerably better than USPS package tracking), and they're responsive if an item is damaged in transit or if a package is mislaid.

Henry Posner
B&H Photo-Video

Jul 17, 2013 at 06:15 PM
longisland.km
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · FedEx SmartPost is anything but smart

henryp wrote:
It's inexpensive enough we can continue to offer free shipping. It's reliable, package tracking is accurate (considerably better than USPS package tracking), and they're responsive if an item is damaged in transit or if a package is mislaid.

Henry Posner
B&H Photo-Video

I'm not blaming you guys or anybody else who have switched to using FedEx SmartPost or UPS Mail Innovations. It is what it is.

I just find these two inappropriately named services quite amazing. Before these two things came about, practically everything that I ordered that shipped with the cheapest/free option from the NY metro area arrived overnight or the day after, regardless of the shipper being FedEx, UPS, or everybody's favourite whipping boy, USPS. Recently, all the cheapest/free shipping options have switched to SmartPost/Mail Innovations, and it now basically takes the entire week.

Just venting I guess.

Jul 17, 2013 at 09:13 PM
Ronny Mills
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · FedEx SmartPost is anything but smart

Ya gotta know customers tend to feel ripped when service suffers ... the shrink ray has hit shipping 'services'.

Jul 18, 2013 at 12:20 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · FedEx SmartPost is anything but smart

amacal1 wrote:
I never used to have a preference in my shipping carrier, but UPS has continually been delivering packages to me in jaw-dropping times. Meanwhile, FedEx has been frustrating, to say the least.

I have stopped ordering from newegg since they switched to FedEx for their free shipping option. Packages have taken an average of 1-2 days extra to get to me. Meanwhile, UPS is the carrier for Amazon prime's 2 day shipping option and they have yet to miss a deadline!

It depends tremendously where you live. In some places they use UPS, others Lasership, etc. FedEx is bay far the best for me, since I can pick up packages at the depot late in the evening. Unfortunately fewer vendors offer that option now.

EBH

Jul 18, 2013 at 08:07 PM
jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · FedEx SmartPost is anything but smart

I have had a lot of deliveries from Amazon using Smartpost. What a joke. Goes out by FedEx and tracks like it should to the local post office. Then who knows what happens. No real tracking and they have no clue where the box is even if it is saying out for delivery. I wish they would just Hold For Pickup at a FedEx office and leave the post office out of the mix.

Jul 19, 2013 at 01:28 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · FedEx SmartPost is anything but smart

On a side note, I have a box coming via Fedex SmartPost. Shipped last Thursday. Arrived at the post office 5 blocks away. It's scheduled for delivery in 2 days. (Today is Tuesday, estimated delivery date is Thursday). I'm tempted to walk over and see if I can pick up my package.

Jul 23, 2013 at 02:08 PM
Ronny Mills
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · FedEx SmartPost is anything but smart

Pickup Tuesday, deliver Friday, Brooklyn, NY > Glen Rock, NJ, 30 miles.

Jul 24, 2013 at 01:43 AM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · FedEx SmartPost is anything but smart

Adorama: ordered Monday night, 7/22/13 at 7:38PM, paid $10.95 for the UPS 3-day delivery option, item arrived Wyndmoor, PA 19038 Tuesday, 7/23/13 at 6:05PM. Works for me

Jul 24, 2013 at 07:36 AM
Helen Oster
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · FedEx SmartPost is anything but smart

anthonysemone wrote:
Adorama: ordered Monday night, 7/22/13 at 7:38PM, paid $10.95 for the UPS 3-day delivery option, item arrived Wyndmoor, PA 19038 Tuesday, 7/23/13 at 6:05PM. Works for me

Excellent!

Jul 24, 2013 at 08:14 AM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · FedEx SmartPost is anything but smart

I normally shop at Adorama/BH but they didn't have the Sigma USB dock in stock at the time. I have an Amazon Prime account, but the dock wasn't eligible for Prime, so I decided to be cheap and get the free shipping option. Not like it's life or death waiting for the dock, but I'm sure we all understand greed and wanting everything we buy right now,

Jul 24, 2013 at 08:52 AM
Ronny Mills
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · FedEx SmartPost is anything but smart

Ronny Mills wrote:
Pickup Tuesday, deliver Friday, Brooklyn, NY > Glen Rock, NJ, 30 miles.

Arrived Thursday

Jul 25, 2013 at 01:55 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.