Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2013 · 5d2 to 6d?

Depth of Feel
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5d2 to 6d?

Hi,

I know this has been beat to death BUT-

There are no reviews for this camera on this site yet, AND I figure its been out for a while so shooters here will have had a bit more experience with the camera to offer their insight.

So I shoot now with 2 5d2's. I can't afford a 5d3 right now, but I think I could sell one and get 6d, and get a 5d3 next season.

I love the idea of wifi and better dark focusing of the 6d. I'm not so sure about the 1/4000 shutter speed but I think the iso expansion might help? I'll still have a 5d2 for 1/8000 anyway. I also like how its lighter and has great files. I'm scared about SD card reliability though. If someone could comment on SD card use vs CF card use that would be great.

I like the idea of the focusing system, the dual cards, and the 1/8000 shutter speed of the 5d3. But I've been single card all this time and I've lived with less then ideal focusing as well. I can probably handle another season.

I think the two cameras complement each other well as they different strengths, but I've owned neither.

Does anyone shoot 5d2 + 6d or 5d3 + 6d? Thoughts?

Thanks!

Jul 15, 2013 at 11:27 PM
stevez32
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5d2 to 6d?

Isn't the 6D missing the focus selection joystick? Seems like quite a usability/handling difference if you are going to be switching back between the 5D and the 6D. I use the joystick all the time, wouldn't want a camera without it personally...

Jul 15, 2013 at 11:33 PM
scot1

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5d2 to 6d?

I bought a 6D. But I had a 5D classic before. I have owned a 5D Mk2 also. My feedback is if you can afford a 5D3 this is surely the way to go. There are things I don't like about the 6D but I bought one knowing about them. Image quality is stunning. High ISO is amazing. No hesitation shooting at 6400. I do miss the joystick for selecting focus point but you know what, I just adapt. A good photographer can take great shots with almost anything. Get the best you can afford. For me what I have gained going from a 5D classic to a 6D is money well spent. If I had my choice between a 5D2 and the 6D I would go with the 6D hands down for image quality and ISO. For some people the lack of joystick is going to be a deal breaker. You just have to decide.

"If someone could comment on SD card use vs CF card use that would be great"

There's a can of worms! I'll tell you my last wedding I had a 32 gig card in the camera and never took it out till I got home. I shot RAW. Worked for me.

Jul 15, 2013 at 11:44 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5d2 to 6d?

stevez32 wrote:
Isn't the 6D missing the focus selection joystick?

Atleast the focus points light up on the 6D.

Jul 15, 2013 at 11:53 PM
drew.bowser
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5d2 to 6d?

I switched from a 5D2 to a 6D and couldnt be happier! I LOVE it. The 1/4000th shutter speed is not an issue for me, never had to even go close to it - and I love shooting with primes.

THe joystick issue is not an issue for me, just a slight change in ergonomics which is now second nature.

The files are cleaner, smaller and have better tones than the 5D2.

SD cards are half the price, so I am shooting on faster and better cards that before because now I can afford them...lol.

Sandisk 90mb/sec cards are water, dust, shock proof - and still the same price as the middle line CF cards.

When the 70D comes out it will be a perfect replacement for my 60D and fit right in with my 6D. Same exact controls and such...

Jul 15, 2013 at 11:55 PM
Depth of Feel
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5d2 to 6d?

stevez32 wrote:
Isn't the 6D missing the focus selection joystick? Seems like quite a usability/handling difference if you are going to be switching back between the 5D and the 6D. I use the joystick all the time, wouldn't want a camera without it personally...

I don't use the joystiq now so I don't think that's an issue.

Jul 16, 2013 at 12:50 AM
Depth of Feel
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 5d2 to 6d?

scot1 wrote:
I bought a 6D. But I had a 5D classic before. I have owned a 5D Mk2 also. My feedback is if you can afford a 5D3 this is surely the way to go. There are things I don't like about the 6D but I bought one knowing about them. Image quality is stunning. High ISO is amazing. No hesitation shooting at 6400. I do miss the joystick for selecting focus point but you know what, I just adapt. A good photographer can take great shots with almost anything. Get the best you can afford. For me what I have
...Show more

Honestly I'd love the idea of shooting dual 6d's with 2 64gb cards. I hate shuffling 8gb cards in an out of my 5d2's/

What were your hesitations for the 6d besides the Joystick? What do you feel puts the 5d3 way above the 6d?

I've heard SD cards are more prone failure.

I guess the decision for me comes down to keep both 5d2's till next year and upgrade to 5d3 then or do 6d now, and add 5d3 next year.

Jul 16, 2013 at 12:53 AM
swoop
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 5d2 to 6d?

Honestly I'd love the idea of shooting dual 6d's with 2 64gb cards. I hate shuffling 8gb cards in an out of my 5d2's.

I've heard SD cards are more prone failure.

I shoot with smaller cards intentionally because they limit the possibility of failure. All your eggs in one basket and all that.

Also SD cards are not more prone to failure. All solid memory is prone to failure because they have a limited life cycle. The more you use them the increased chances of failure. SD cards are a lot more widespread than CF cards.

Jul 16, 2013 at 01:32 AM
Ziffl3
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 5d2 to 6d?

D. Diggler wrote:
Atleast the focus points light up on the 6D.

As they do on the 5DmkIII........

They just do it differently than the 5Dmk2

Jul 16, 2013 at 02:00 AM
form
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 5d2 to 6d?

Deal breaker for the 6d to me is the lack of a pc sync port and 1/180 sec flash sync speed. It allows things like motion blur to creep in that much easier and makes it extremely difficult to have eTTL flash and remote/OCF triggering.

Jul 16, 2013 at 02:01 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Depth of Feel
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 5d2 to 6d?

form wrote:
Deal breaker for the 6d to me is the lack of a pc sync port and 1/180 sec flash sync speed. It allows things like motion blur to creep in that much easier and makes it extremely difficult to have eTTL flash and remote/OCF triggering.

High Speed Sync? I use pixel kings right now for off camera ettl. What's the PC sync port for? Pocket Wizards?

Jul 16, 2013 at 02:13 AM
g-money
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 5d2 to 6d?

Just finished my first wedding with a 6D & MKII combo. I debated for months before pulling the trigger as I really wanted the MKIII but just could not justify the extra $1000. The 6D did not disappoint. Image quality, focus and high ISO were everything I had hoped.

Yes it does take a bit of getting used to, no pc port, no joystick and the 180/sec sync are all concerns but I actually didn't miss them...ok I did miss the pc port...when I went to hook up my cybersync for reception lightinghad forgotten this option was not included. A small flash adapter sloved that problem for the next wedding.

I am currently debating on getting a second 6D or keep saving and go ahead and get a MKIII either body will do you great.

Depth of Feel ..the PC port allows me to shoot with a flash on camera and I can hook my cybersync transmitter for the off camera light to to the camera PC port to fire them. With out a pc port I had to put the transmitter in the camera hotshoe.

Greg

Jul 16, 2013 at 02:52 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 5d2 to 6d?

Ziffl3 wrote:
they do on the 5DmkIII
They just do it differently than the 5Dmk2

Differently and inferior.

Jul 16, 2013 at 03:09 AM
Depth of Feel
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 5d2 to 6d?

g-money wrote:
Just finished my first wedding with a 6D & MKII combo. I debated for months before pulling the trigger as I really wanted the MKIII but just could not justify the extra $1000. The 6D did not disappoint. Image quality, focus and high ISO were everything I had hoped.

Yes it does take a bit of getting used to, no pc port, no joystick and the 180/sec sync are all concerns but I actually didn't miss them...ok I did miss the pc port...when I went to hook up my cybersync for reception lightinghad forgotten this option was not included. A small
...Show more

Thanks for the depth of response!

Jul 16, 2013 at 03:12 AM
marko1953
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 5d2 to 6d?

swoop wrote:
I shoot with smaller cards intentionally because they limit the possibility of failure. All your eggs in one basket and all that.

Using more , smaller cards actually increases the chances of a failed card doesn't it? The more cards, the more chance of failure. It is not the same as using 2 cameras, if one fails you just grab the other.
Say there are 2 random cards in every 100 prone to failure, the more cards you use,the more chance you have of hitting a bad card. What you are talking about I think, is that if you use 2 cards and one fails you only lose half the wedding, 3 cards you lose one third etc.

Jul 16, 2013 at 03:17 AM
Depth of Feel
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 5d2 to 6d?

marko1953 wrote:
Using more , smaller cards actually increases the chances of a failed card doesn't it? The more cards, the more chance of failure. It is not the same as using 2 cameras, if one fails you just grab the other.

Two lines of thinking here.

1. If any one card fails, the whole day is not lost because you have others.

2. You are more likely to lose or break a card the more you are handling them. Having one card that never leaves the camera might be a good thing.

Jul 16, 2013 at 03:23 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 5d2 to 6d?

6D quieter normal shutter than 5D3

Jul 16, 2013 at 06:51 AM
Depth of Feel
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 5d2 to 6d?

D. Diggler wrote:
6D quieter normal shutter than 5D3

I think I'm going to go 6d.

Jul 16, 2013 at 07:06 AM
twistedlim
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 5d2 to 6d?

I shoot a 5d3 and a 6d. The 1/4000 shutter does come into play but a 2 stop nd filter fixes that for most lens. (I only have one 77 that will fit my go to zooms). The focus is very good on the 6d for me and I like the size and weight. But as mentioned, using 2 different bodies can make you kind of harried at times. I like the fact they use the same batteries. The lack of a joystick would not be an issue if you had 2 6d bodies I think. Best solution would be 2 5d3 bodies

Jul 16, 2013 at 11:22 AM
lilyphoto
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 5d2 to 6d?

Hmm I was planning on upgrading from the 7d to the 5dmkiii, but now you guys have me thinking about the 6d. How do you find the af tracking performance to be on the 6d?

Jul 16, 2013 at 01:24 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password