Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Release Form for Use of Photos - Any Suggestions?

testudo123

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Release Form for Use of Photos - Any Suggestions?

Hi: I took some photos for a local dental office. One of the dentists is a family friend. The office wants to have exclusive rights to the photos and asked me to sign the release form below. I'm ok with the dollar amount that we agreed upon. Is there anything in this release form/not in this release form that would cause you concern?

Thanks

PRINT RELEASE FORM
The bearer of this notice, [Insert Name] (“Bearer”) has purchased a quantity of __________ high-resolution digital photo files (minimum of 300 dpi at minimum physical size spec of 8”x10”, full-color) from ___________________________________________ (“Photographer”) at a rate of [insert $ amount] per image. Bearer is hereby granted permission by said Photographer to exclusive rights to these images, and grants persmission to the Bearer to reproduce the images in public media.

COPYRIGHT AND LICENSING NOTICE
The images that are being provided are licensed to [Insert Name] for any reasonable business purposes, including but not limited to: printing, advertising, emailing, and web publishing.The license does not include resale of any nature.The purchase of the original files releases the Photographer from any liability due to loss or damage of the images, and also releases the Photographer from any specific obligation to maintain copies of any digital file, image, or photograph.

AUTHORIZED BY
Name/Title “Bearer” ______________________________________________________________________

Signature _______________________________________________________________________________

Jul 15, 2013 at 05:04 PM
justruss
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Release Form for Use of Photos - Any Suggestions?

Are you happy giving away full rights (minus resale) to a single client while totally limiting your ability to use those photos for any other purpose, without explicit time limit?

Would you like to retain the right to use those photos for your own promotion and advertising or some other purpose, and explicitly state so?

I'm not asking these questions tongue-in-cheek. Only you can answer these questions for yourself in the context of your business.

Would something in the grant of license (it's not a release form, by the way) bother me? It depends. For $50, I'd probably be unhappy by granting such wide extending rights while limiting my own. For $500 per photo, maybe not (depending on the nature of the subject matter). For $5,000 per photo, yipppeeeee!

Again, that's all subjective and depends on your business model/structure/plans.

Jul 16, 2013 at 07:08 AM
cwebster
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Release Form for Use of Photos - Any Suggestions?

I suggest you buy John Harrington's book "Best Business Practices for Photographers" to learn about licenses and model releases, which are two quite different things which you have confused/combined.

<Chas>

Jul 16, 2013 at 03:59 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Mr Joe
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Release Form for Use of Photos - Any Suggestions?

I will second John Harrington's book -- knowledge that used to take years to learn for $20.

I also recommend having a look at PLUS: http://www.useplus.com/useplus/glossary.asp

and reading the amazingly helpful Pricing and Negotiating articles on APE: http://www.aphotoeditor.com/category/pricing-negotiating/

Jul 16, 2013 at 10:55 PM
testudo123

p.1 #5 · Release Form for Use of Photos - Any Suggestions?

Thanks. I started to read the Harrington book last night. I'll take a look at the other materials too.

Jul 17, 2013 at 11:56 AM
CraigB1960

p.1 #6 · Release Form for Use of Photos - Any Suggestions?

I third John Harrington's book. Very useful and good starting point.

Aug 01, 2013 at 09:22 PM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password