New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · web site problems FM Canon forum page 1 strange display

Rodney O
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · web site problems FM Canon forum page 1 strange display

Fred,

Something has changed in the way page 1 of the Canon forum is being delivered. Instead of the usual look with topics shown in a long list, I get a page with a few posts listed across the screen in a band that covers about 1/4 of teh screen. Page 2 etc displays normally, as do pages in the other forum groups.that I've checked so far.

This first showed up last night. And it kind of makes that forum useless.

Not sure if others see the same thing or not. I can post a screen shot and the page source if that would help. Kind of surprised that no one has posted about this. My system is an older one, but the so far the rest of the forum still displays ok. And I'm not aware of any new stuff that would cause such an anomaly.

Rodney

Jul 15, 2013 at 09:30 AM
ronfronberg
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · web site problems FM Canon forum page 1 strange display

I am not having any problems on Opera or Firefox.

ron

Edited on Jul 15, 2013 at 04:49 PM · View previous versions

Jul 15, 2013 at 09:35 AM
Rodney O
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · web site problems FM Canon forum page 1 strange display

Ron,

thanks for your reply. I grabbed the page sources and have shoved them into Win-Diff for a comparison. That's an easy way to find file differences. but it of course finds "every difference". Meaning that it finds everything which of course includes all the different titles, posters etc. And it's kind of hard to ignore the chaff and find the wheat so to speak. Or vice versa.

But it looks like the section of the page which should have the list of post topics is missing a line of html code that defines the area for the screen display. Instead of defining a table it shows up with an "<a title..." statement before the "<div ..." statement. That could throw off the forum topics table display.

Anyway reading someone else's html code is not all that much fun. And so think I will just ignore the FM forum for a while and later see if Fred gets it fixed.

But it is surprising that this isn't affecting others as well. Glad it doesn't affect you. Maybe it's related to my antique (doesn't spy on you) version of FireFox. Plus we block everything from a lot of the facebook etc garbage sites. So it's possible he added some mischievous connection to fb etc. But it looks more like an html "<div ..." statement out of place.

Well am not going to tear into this any more for a while. But it is evident that something has changed. And we know that the site is being rewritten to accommodate tablets & other mobile devices. Maybe this is a derivative of that work?

Rodney

Jul 15, 2013 at 10:21 AM
Rodney O
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · web site problems FM Canon forum page 1 strange display

Btw this same "phenomena" seems to be occurring in other forums besides the Canon forum. It happens for Nature & wildlife, and the Nikon mount forums also.

All the other Fm forums that I checked seems to be displaying ok so far, though. Puzzling

Rodney

Jul 15, 2013 at 01:19 PM
DanBrown
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · web site problems FM Canon forum page 1 strange display

No problem here with Chrome or Internet Explorer.

Jul 15, 2013 at 02:39 PM
vilimo
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · web site problems FM Canon forum page 1 strange display

no problem on firefox too

Jul 15, 2013 at 09:42 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · web site problems FM Canon forum page 1 strange display

It's normal for me in IE 8, but I'm blobbing a few.

EBH

Jul 15, 2013 at 10:30 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · web site problems FM Canon forum page 1 strange display

Rodney,
Could you post a screenshot and let me know which browser/OS you are using?
Fred

Jul 15, 2013 at 10:34 PM
Rodney O
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · web site problems FM Canon forum page 1 strange display

Fred Miranda wrote:
Rodney,
Could you post a screenshot and let me know which browser/OS you are using?
Fred

Fred,

Ok I can do that. Will try to get screen shots up later when I get back home. I find it curious that it seems to happen A) only in a few of the FM forums & B) only happens for the first page in those forums.

I'll send you the links to images and the system & browser details later by PM. Do you also want a copy of the page source that the site sends for the bad and for the ok pages as examples?

Rodney

Jul 15, 2013 at 10:57 PM
Rodney O
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · web site problems FM Canon forum page 1 strange display

Fred,

Sent PM with the page images for the Canon forum page 1 with problems & page 2 which displays OK. and page 1 from the Nature forum page 1 that also displays incorrectly. Also included links to the text files for the page source that is sent to me for the errant pages.

hth
Rodney

Jul 16, 2013 at 12:31 AM
Rodney O
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · web site problems FM Canon forum page 1 strange display

Update:
The problem still persists.
I sent Fred the information he requested. Though I have not heard anything back yet, the PM's show that they were read.

And I did a bit more analysis of the html that is being delivered to my machine for these pages. And think I may have found some parts the problem. It is related to the top javascript ad insert that the page has.

Not everyone seems to be seeing this issue. Possibly the page html code is tailored differently for each OS/browser. Which would explain why most of you do not see the problem.

I found that there is at least one html coding error. That involves an missing close of a command for that first hidden JS Ad insert. Basically just a missing "<!--" This unbalanced command stop code leaves the main table for the posts displayed incorrectly.

Additionally, it looks like the reason the 2nd, 3rd etc pages display more normally is due to another html error in that same JS ad insert. That error is a miscoding of the begin hidden JS command. There the begin command is entered as ascii codes. So the "<!--" shows up as "<j!" which my browser interprets correctly as text. And the rest of the forum page gets displayed correctly.

There may be additional errors also. But this was deeper than I wanted to get into this. Yep I spent more time looking at this than I had intended. I was just hoping that the information I provided Fred by PM would let Fred et-al would take a look and fix it easily. But maybe it's more complicated than that. I have also learned that at times a number of major sites have also had issues with the way ad inserts are delivered & inserted.

Not sure anyone else here is "crazy enough" to delve into this. But on the chance that someone would like to look into it. Here are screen shots of the incorrectly displayed Canon forum page 1 & the better displaying page 2. And links to the page source files that are sent to my machine for these pages.

canon forum page 1 with display problems

Canon Forum page 2 displays ok

page 1 html source

page source as delivered for the Canon forum page 2 that looks better

hth
Rodney

Jul 17, 2013 at 11:05 AM
Rodney O
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · web site problems FM Canon forum page 1 strange display

Kind of miss visiting the FM forum multiple times each day. But I'm still getting pages with errors and only links to some posts. And there is little point in visiting FM when the site isn't working right.

With other posters also reporting problems with page displays, it's pretty obvious that there are multiple problems including FM coding errors. And that they also are related to the "extras" that Fred includes here, meaning facebook etc. None of which have much to do with the photography backbone of the forum.

Wonder why Fred has not worked to fix these kinds of issues. and I say "has not worked to fix" because I have heard nothing back from him and I see no change. I haven't even gotten a response from him after I sent the info he requested?

While not everyone is seeing this particular problem, when I have sent page saves of the errant pages sent to my machine to friend of mine. And I can say that both other PC's and Macs display the same issues with those pages. Thus the problem is certainly with the pages that FM is shipping out. And that the page code sent varies from user to user, since those to whom I sent copies of my pages do not regularly see the same page issues that I am seeing. Which implies that there are at least some dynamically generated forum page that contain coding errors.

I am not surprised that some of the other errors point to a facebook issue. I had already identified to Fred one JS ad insert as causing issues. The solution would seem to be simple: if there are problems with FB then eliminate facebook etc until they fix their problems. It is always complicated to depend on another site like FB for content and perhaps very unwise to give them "free reign" to insert page code or to make anything on one's own site "dependent" on third parties.

Anyway still waiting for a resolution to show up. Hope it all gets fixed soon.

Rodney

Jul 20, 2013 at 11:47 AM
Rodney O
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · web site problems FM Canon forum page 1 strange display

Update:

Checked the forum again last nite. And now the first pages for the Canon & the Nature forum are working more normally again. Yay !!!

Curiously page 2 of each of them is now messed up the same way as page 1 was. But page 3 works.

So Fred thanks for the progress with these issues. The problem still seems to exist with that ad insert in general. I get a line of text right above the table with the posts listed. even on the pages that now display correctly.

hth

Jul 23, 2013 at 11:05 AM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.