Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · LR backup and Timemachine

Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · LR backup and Timemachine

Ok so I'm starting to get into this mac thing (having been a PC user for ever )

I have a drive used only for time machine which backs up everything else .

But I have a question

If time machine is backing up everything then its backing up up my LR cat (correct?) . So is there any point to backing up my LR cat when I exit LR ? ..
My thinking is I must be replicating data as if I'm backing up the cat file time machine is then backing that file to my backup drive .

Or am I better to let LR backup frequently and just ignore what time machine is backing up (in the case of the LR cat) ?

Jul 15, 2013 at 06:16 AM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · LR backup and Timemachine

Ian.Dobinson wrote:

But I have a question

If time machine is backing up everything then its backing up up my LR cat (correct?) . So is there any point to backing up my LR cat when I exit LR ? ..
My thinking is I must be replicating data as if I'm backing up the cat file time machine is then backing that file to my backup drive .

Or
...Show more

A few questions would help direct you better.

How often does Time Machine complete a back up? And how large is your back up drive compared to your main drive? Same size or larger? This will give us an idea how far back in time you can go with your Time Machine backups.

Jul 15, 2013 at 08:01 AM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · LR backup and Timemachine

Ian.Dobinson wrote:

But I have a question

Or
...Show more

A few questions would help direct you better.

How often does Time Machine complete a back up? And how large is your back up drive compared to your main drive? Same size or larger? This will give us an idea how far back in time you can go with your Time Machine backups.

Jul 15, 2013 at 08:01 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · LR backup and Timemachine

Ok ,
Time is at the moment onto a 2tb drive used only for time machine .

My other drives are a 1tb fusion in the imac and a 1tb usb3 drive which houses all my images . (I had a big cull when I changed to the mac and I got rid of all those 'marked for delete ' files that I just let hang around) .
Now the mac drive has very little on it and the 1tb is just over half full .

In the near future I may be adding a 2nd 2tb drive for time machine with the view to doing weekly swap outs (putting drive in a safe place at my work) .

I was told that as a rule of thumb to keep the time machine drive at least double the size of your data . So when I go over 1tb of data I will up the size of the TM drive .

As far as the other question , how often does TM complete a backup . I must say I do t know . The machine is on most of the time and I normally use sleep rather than shutdown .
Is there a way to actually configure TM? As far as I can see it pretty much runs itself and from what I read in the TM panel it looks like it does incremental backups every hour .

Jul 15, 2013 at 09:29 AM
15Bit
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · LR backup and Timemachine

There is an advantage to having LR backup the catalogue as well - in the event that the main catalogue becomes corrupted, that corruption may spread to the backup before you notice it. Having some additional "archive" copies would then be somewhat advantageous.

Jul 15, 2013 at 10:56 AM
howardm4
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · LR backup and Timemachine

dont be cheap w/ your disk space. the catalog is obviously so central to correct operation that it makes sense to have multiple backups. Also, since the catalog is really just a database file (SQLite), it is possible that the TM backup will occur while that file is 'open' and could possibly be in an unstable 'unflushed' state, which, if you needed to use, wouldn't be usable.

So, unless the catalog is HUGE, just let it be and let LR make it's own backup copy.

Jul 15, 2013 at 11:43 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · LR backup and Timemachine

15bit and Howard ,

Both good points . I guess when I think of it the backup file is not that big anyway .

Ive been thinking about it a bit more , and I will most likely let LR do its backups and keep them on the Data drive , but delete the older ones after a few days as I pressume TM will have a copy of those hived away should I really need it .

Jul 15, 2013 at 12:49 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · LR backup and Timemachine

yes. it's quite unfortunate that LR has not implemented any sort of 'expiration' of it's backup catalogs. This often leads people to discover they have MANY (and MANY GB's) consumed of ancient irrelevant catalogs.

Jul 15, 2013 at 02:40 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

15Bit
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · LR backup and Timemachine

howardm4 wrote:
yes. it's quite unfortunate that LR has not implemented any sort of 'expiration' of it's backup catalogs. This often leads people to discover they have MANY (and MANY GB's) consumed of ancient irrelevant catalogs.

I would agree that is a flaw in the program. I tend to only backup the catalogue every few weeks, but even then the disk space does add up over time. Probably every year i clear out the backups directory manually

Jul 15, 2013 at 03:11 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · LR backup and Timemachine

tm will not back up the Lr catalog while Lr is running. It used to until a couple of years ago but now it will only provide usable backups.

I let Lr do its backups to a different drive from the TM backups. I let tm backup those backups. Sooner or later I'll want to change something significant that pretty much renders the tm backups useless (tip: don't rename your volumes too often because tm will make fresh backups of everything in the renamed volume, separate from the same things in the old volume name).

My tm backups are not always with me when I'm mobile but the Lr backups are.

Ian, as well as the usual data backups you should make a clone of your system drive to a totally separate drive from which you can reboot. It makes recovery so much faster than tm when you can just boot from that drive or swap it for the failed drive and reboot. You should do this before any OS X upgrades just in case it goes wrong. It's happened before.

You can never have too many backups. The more you have the less likely you are to overwrite good old data with corrupted new data before you find out that there is a corruption.

- Alan

Jul 15, 2013 at 04:41 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · LR backup and Timemachine

Forgot to mention: don't let Lr write metadata to the image files because that would change the files slightly and tm would make fresh backups of many MB where only a few bytes have been changed. That's a large part of why I do not use DNG. I have Lr keep that info in its catalog database and keep lots of independent backups of that database.

Jul 15, 2013 at 04:45 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · LR backup and Timemachine

Here's a link to a thread in which an error was accidentally introduced to the Lr catalog and not found for some time. http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1226998

This is why you should not rush to delete old Lr backups too soon. There's no harm in keeping them for weeks or months.

- Alan

Jul 15, 2013 at 04:48 PM
15Bit
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · LR backup and Timemachine

Alan321 wrote:
Forgot to mention: don't let Lr write metadata to the image files because that would change the files slightly and tm would make fresh backups of many MB where only a few bytes have been changed. That's a large part of why I do not use DNG. I have Lr keep that info in its catalog database and keep lots of independent backups of that database.

You may have just explained something that's been bugging me for months...

I had assumed that LR wrote metadata to the xmp, not the RAW.

Jul 15, 2013 at 04:53 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · LR backup and Timemachine

I think it writes to the image when the image is in a 'friendly' format (that will let it write to it like DNG (not sure if JPG fits that description)). Otherwise, it writes to the .lrcat or an xmp

Jul 15, 2013 at 05:10 PM
Mr Joe
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · LR backup and Timemachine

You can choose whether Lightroom keeps the metadata in the catalog only, or if it writes to the image (either directly to the image as a DNG, or as an xmp sidecar file for other RAW files). The default is to only have the metadata in the catalog.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/lightroom/using/WS638E3AC9-A04C-4445-A0D3-F7D8BA5CDE37.html

Jul 15, 2013 at 06:09 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password