Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       end

Archive 2013 · OC Fair Award Winners (Updated with Awards)

Mark Metternich
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · OC Fair Award Winners (Updated with Awards)

Amazing work.

Jul 20, 2013 at 10:56 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · OC Fair Award Winners (Updated with Awards)

Desert Rat wrote:
Of my two submissions to the OC Fair this shot was rejected.

Space shuttle move through streets of LA.

Hey Eric,

Nice view on the shuttle, not sure why they would reject this. If I remember, I do recall seeing maybe two images where the shot was with the space shuttle... but if I remember it was with it still on the airplane as it was being flown in.

Jim

Jul 20, 2013 at 12:32 PM
scraptag
• •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · OC Fair Award Winners (Updated with Awards)

I can't find what day the judges will be there. Was it the 18th or the 25th? (I think someone mentioned Thursday) It would be fun to meet y'all there.

re: awards. I think it's not enough to have a good/great picture, but it also has to fit all of their criteria, and then be unique enough to warrant an award, and be something the judges like. And then they change the judges every year, just so they can mix things up. Also, I think some categories would naturally draw more entrants than others, and thereby increase the competition. jmo.

p.s. I like the unique view of the space shuttle pic. I bet a lot of people didn't have that aerial view of that journey!

Jul 20, 2013 at 01:32 PM
CDalessandro
• • • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · OC Fair Award Winners (Updated with Awards)

Congrats guys...Super!!! Gorgeous work!!

Jul 20, 2013 at 02:44 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · OC Fair Award Winners (Updated with Awards)

scraptag wrote:
I can't find what day the judges will be there. Was it the 18th or the 25th? (I think someone mentioned Thursday) It would be fun to meet y'all there.

re: awards. I think it's not enough to have a good/great picture, but it also has to fit all of their criteria, and then be unique enough to warrant an award, and be something the judges like. And then they change the judges every year, just so they can mix things up. Also, I think some categories would naturally draw more entrants than others, and thereby increase the competition. jmo.
...Show more

Hey Teri,

It's this coming Thursday, the 25th I will have to double check the time. PM me your cell # later, it would be fun to get a bunch of us together.

Jim

Jul 20, 2013 at 03:26 PM
Ed Swift
• • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · OC Fair Award Winners (Updated with Awards)

Congratulations all of you. Stunning shots.

Jul 20, 2013 at 03:36 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · OC Fair Award Winners (Updated with Awards)

JimFox wrote:
Hey Teri,

It's this coming Thursday, the 25th I will have to double check the time. PM me your cell # later, it would be fun to get a bunch of us together.

Jim

Thursday, July 25th, at 7PM....

Jul 20, 2013 at 04:08 PM
scraptag
• •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · OC Fair Award Winners (Updated with Awards)

Hey Teri,

Jim

Thanks. I'll try to make it. It would be fun to meet you all!

Jul 20, 2013 at 04:14 PM
alatoo60
• • • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · OC Fair Award Winners (Updated with Awards)

Congratulations to the winners!

Sasha.

Jul 20, 2013 at 07:41 PM
Chuck Eklund
• • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · OC Fair Award Winners (Updated with Awards)

Congrats to you all.

Chuck

Jul 21, 2013 at 02:30 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · OC Fair Award Winners (Updated with Awards)

Thanks. I'll try to make it. It would be fun to meet you all!

Yes, it would be terrific to meet all of you!

Jul 21, 2013 at 02:43 PM
bswpu012
• •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · OC Fair Award Winners (Updated with Awards)

I'm a little late to the party but congrats guys, all great images!!

Jul 21, 2013 at 07:06 PM
philtax
• • • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · OC Fair Award Winners (Updated with Awards)

Congratulations to all - these are some outstanding images!

Phil

Jul 21, 2013 at 10:22 PM
Desert Rat
• • • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · OC Fair Award Winners (Updated with Awards)

Ok finally got this image sized and adjusted for posting. This is the other image i submitted to the OC Fair this year and was accepted but did not win any awards.

It is a Tulip multi-exposure I called titled "Swirl" but probably should have naked it "Metamorphosis"

http://www.pbase.com/image/151471717/original.jpg

Jul 23, 2013 at 09:55 AM
Gary Schmeidle
• •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · OC Fair Award Winners (Updated with Awards)

congratulations! great work!

Jul 23, 2013 at 10:10 AM
r_raman
• •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · OC Fair Award Winners (Updated with Awards)

Congrats guys!

Jul 23, 2013 at 07:42 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · OC Fair Award Winners (Updated with Awards)

This is great!

Congratulations to the 3 of you

Morris

Jul 23, 2013 at 08:57 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · OC Fair Award Winners (Updated with Awards)

It was a great time at the Awards Ceremony at the OC Fair. Fortunately they only presented awards to the First place finishers, so I was able to spend the night as the historical recorder and you don't get to see my ugly mug splashed up here...

The first award winner was Tuan. Followed by Tex, and then Greg, and Tex again who had multiple awards. I am not sure if the judge to Tex's left thought that he was invited to share in the desert that Tex was going to have to buy as the prize for winning the most awards or what?

Jim

Jul 26, 2013 at 01:18 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · OC Fair Award Winners (Updated with Awards)

After the Awards presentation the 9 judges went back into the gallery with us and split into groups where they had a chance to answer questions and go over some of the award winners and what it was that they liked about those shots.

I had been hoping to hear them say something to help figure out why some award winning shots were truly great, while other shots were passed by, or some mediocre (in my perception) shots did win awards. I never got an answer to that question unforntunately as we were told not to badger the judges... Now, I will admit during this walk through though, I did spend at least half the time socializing with Tuan, Greg and Tex, so maybe I missed the judges important points. But for the award winning shots that I had liked, as I heard the judges talk, it was basically about all the same things we going over here in the Landscape Forum when commenting on shots. The lines in the shot, the focus point of the eye, being well exposed, etc...

So here are two shots of the judges as they discussed the points they liked on some award winners. First one of Tex's shots and then 2nd one of Greg's.

And then afterwards, although Tuan and Greg had left and had to miss out, Tex did pay up and he bought me strawberry shortcake!

Jim

Jul 26, 2013 at 01:19 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · OC Fair Award Winners (Updated with Awards)

Thanks for being the FM reporter Jim! It was a fun evening and it was a pleasure meeting you and Tuan. I somehow missed my chance to meet and congratulate Tex, as I had my wife and some family that showed up to the ceremony. I'd have to agree, with a couple of your shots in particular, that some of the best work somehow missed rightful awards. It's hard to figure the judges decisions.....

Greg

Jul 26, 2013 at 01:29 PM
1       2       3      
       5       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.