Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       5       end

Archive 2013 · OC Fair Award Winners (Updated with Awards)

JustinPoe
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · OC Fair Award Winners (Updated with Awards)

JimFox wrote
Hey Justin,

As Teri mentioned they highly recommend the black frame and matting saying that the judges will take whole presentation into account. So yeah, I figured I didn't want to shoot my shots in the foot by mounting and framing them differently. Though each shot cost me about $100, even with picking up the frames at Aaron Brothers with the buy 1 get one for $1 sale.

Now as I went through the fair yesterday, there were a few photos that won that did not have matting. There were a couple that won that had no matting and the frames were
...Show more

Thanks for clearing that up Jim.

And I definitely agree, I think the display as a whole is more attractive with most of the photos framed similarly.

Jul 15, 2013 at 01:23 PM
Sharona
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · OC Fair Award Winners (Updated with Awards)

Congratulations and nice work, everyone!

Jul 15, 2013 at 01:39 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · OC Fair Award Winners (Updated with Awards)

congrats guys!

Jul 15, 2013 at 01:39 PM
Tuan Le
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · OC Fair Award Winners (Updated with Awards)

I got back from a backpacking trip over the weekend and was greeted with a text message from Jim with the surprising good news. What a great way to get back to civilization!

I got 1st and 3rd for B&W landscape and B&W seascape, respectively. I had color submissions too but those didn't place so I think it's time to scrap my color photography and concentrate on B&Ws!

Thanks everyone for the congratulations. These are the B&W images that won 1st and 3rd in their categories:

http://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-2yN-3bh4Hhs/UUqEiuukxuI/AAAAAAAAIXA/iAtzTfeVGmg/s855/img_3439fm.jpg

http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-FbVb8OdmF9o/UYdQS_1TzEI/AAAAAAAAIr4/xdIRLgGumAM/w497-h730/img_0706.jpg

Jul 15, 2013 at 02:42 PM
treebeard
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · OC Fair Award Winners (Updated with Awards)

Congrats..nice images. But....there seems to be alot of noise in those iPhone photos?

Jul 15, 2013 at 02:45 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · OC Fair Award Winners (Updated with Awards)

Hey Tuan,

Sweet! I am glad you uploaded the originals. I was looking close, but I must have missed your third place one. When I go back to the fair later this week I will look for it.

Say... post that shot from Joshua Tree that you submitted... I actually could not believe that didn't get an award... That is one really cool shot with the stars, and of all of the shots I saw there if I was doing the judging it would have gotten an award... so don't be so quick to give up on color...

Jim

Jul 15, 2013 at 02:49 PM
DSC01
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · OC Fair Award Winners (Updated with Awards)

Congratulations ,and great job guys excellent images and well deserved.
Regards,
Dean

Jul 15, 2013 at 03:30 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · OC Fair Award Winners (Updated with Awards)

treebeard wrote:
Congrats..nice images. But....there seems to be alot of noise in those iPhone photos?

Ha ha... yeah, as soon the iPhone 6 comes out I am sure the noise issue will go away...

Jim

Jul 15, 2013 at 03:45 PM
astro-ep
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · OC Fair Award Winners (Updated with Awards)

Congratulations Men. All are super photos.

Eric

Jul 15, 2013 at 07:40 PM
treebeard
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · OC Fair Award Winners (Updated with Awards)

Tuan Le wrote:
I got back from a backpacking trip over the weekend and was greeted with a text message from Jim with the surprising good news. What a great way to get back to civilization!

I got 1st and 3rd for B&W landscape and B&W seascape, respectively. I had color submissions too but those didn't place so I think it's time to scrap my color photography and concentrate on B&Ws!

Thanks everyone for the congratulations. These are the B&W images that won 1st and 3rd in their categories:

http://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-2yN-3bh4Hhs/UUqEiuukxuI/AAAAAAAAIXA/iAtzTfeVGmg/s855/img_3439fm.jpg

http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-FbVb8OdmF9o/UYdQS_1TzEI/AAAAAAAAIr4/xdIRLgGumAM/w497-h730/img_0706.jpg

They look even better here. I find them both to be spectacular, but the low angle in the second one really does it for me.

Jul 15, 2013 at 08:31 PM
Jim Bau
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · OC Fair Award Winners (Updated with Awards)

Tex Schneider also won two Blue Ribbons and two Red Ribbons for the photo he entered. Perhaps we can pursuade him to post it here.

Jul 15, 2013 at 08:55 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · OC Fair Award Winners (Updated with Awards)

Jim Bau wrote:
Tex Schneider also won two Blue Ribbons and two Red Ribbons for the photo he entered. Perhaps we can pursuade him to post it here.

He did win some awards, at least one really nice shot that I remember too. But he hasn't posted here in ages, that's why I didn't mention him. It would be great to have him post his shots though an become more active again here. He is a great asset.

Jim

Jul 15, 2013 at 09:00 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · OC Fair Award Winners (Updated with Awards)

Thanks everyone and especially you Jim! I knew my "Smart Dog" shot would be popular, but I wasn't expecting 1st place Needless to say; I'm happily surprised! My wife and I are heading over this weekend and I'm looking forward to seeing Jim's, Tuan's and Teri's work in person. Congrats to both of you!

Greg

Here's my shot for a better view. Feel free to move as I know it's not a landscape Although, it may please Jim to see this was shot with a Nikon!

Edited on Jul 15, 2013 at 11:38 PM · View previous versions

Jul 15, 2013 at 11:20 PM
Aaron Cowan
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · OC Fair Award Winners (Updated with Awards)

All excellent shots and very worthy. Congrats!

Jul 15, 2013 at 11:25 PM
Tuan Le
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · OC Fair Award Winners (Updated with Awards)

JimFox wrote:
Hey Tuan,

Sweet! I am glad you uploaded the originals. I was looking close, but I must have missed your third place one. When I go back to the fair later this week I will look for it.

Say... post that shot from Joshua Tree that you submitted... I actually could not believe that didn't get an award... That is one really cool shot with the stars, and of all of the shots I saw there if I was doing the judging it would have gotten an award... so don't be so quick to give up on color...

Jim

Here's the JT shot as you requested Jim. It's a single image at 3200 ISO taken with a 1st generation 5D, so it has some noticeable technical issues when printed at 12x18. Hopefully I'll be able to head to the fair this weekend to check out all the other submissions, including yours and other FM'ers. It's always a treat and an inspiration to do so.

http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-XAHPwzgbytM/UeTkPD6Hp5I/AAAAAAAAJdM/GNMZwuZSHA8/w430-h630-no/img_1632.jpg

Jul 16, 2013 at 01:17 AM
roguecoolman
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · OC Fair Award Winners (Updated with Awards)

Congrats to the 3 of you! fantastic photos

Jason

Jul 16, 2013 at 01:29 AM
TexSchneider
• •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · OC Fair Award Winners (Updated with Awards)

I also have several images on display at the Orange County Fair Visual Arts Competition. Three of them were recognized with awards.

Since I have been a long time lurker here on this forum and not a posting contributor, I first asked Jim Fox if it was alright to add my images to his thread. He was kind enough to say definitely!

The first one is from Acadia National Park: The Tarn Reeds
Landscape Division Winner Ribbon ~ First Place Waterscape/Seascape Ribbon and Two Jurors Award Ribbons

The second award was an Honorable Mention for Front Row View ~ White Sands National Monument

The third award was another Honorable Mention for Fill Light ~ White Sands National Monument

There is an incredible amount of gorgeous photography on the walls at the OC Fair. If you live in the area, I encourage you to take the time to visit. You will not be disappointed.

Congratulations to Jim, Tuan and Greg. Well done!

I will now try to be a posting contributor to this forum. Thanks for looking and all comments are welcome.

© TexSchneider 2013

The Tarn Reeds at the OC Fair

© TexSchneider 2013

The Tarn Reeds

© TexSchneider 2013

Front Row View

© TexSchneider 2013

Fill Light

Jul 16, 2013 at 07:32 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · OC Fair Award Winners (Updated with Awards)

Outstanding Tex. Congrats!

Jul 16, 2013 at 07:54 PM
boingyman
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · OC Fair Award Winners (Updated with Awards)

Congrats to all of you!

Jul 16, 2013 at 09:55 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · OC Fair Award Winners (Updated with Awards)

Hey Tex,

Yeah... man that Tarn Reeds shot is so amazing! Love the colors, the tones, simply amazing! It is really jaw dropping good and worthy of those awards. The only one that I thought that should have gotten as many awards as that one of yours was the Joshua Tree shot that Tuan added on here. Sadly, it didn't even get a single award, though I can't understand why it didn't.

Jim

Jul 17, 2013 at 12:33 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.