Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · First Wedding

hijazist
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · First Wedding

I never done weddings before, not even portraits. I am mainly a landscape photog... I did this at the request of my friends and I didn't have an assistant and not the best equipment at my hand, particularly equipment like flashes, stands, fast zooms (which I think would have come in handy!). The setting also didn't help at all being too bright at the ceremony and too dark indoor...

Weddings, what sorcery is this?! It's hard to appreciate your effort guys until we try it ourselves

Nothing to ride home about but I thought your feedback will give me some ideas for the future...

NIKON D7000    85.0 mm f/1.4 lens    85mm    f/5.0    1/400s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

NIKON D600    35.0 mm f/1.4 lens    35mm    f/1.4    1/640s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

NIKON D600    85.0 mm f/1.4 lens    85mm    f/7.1    1/800s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

NIKON D600    85mm    f/5.0    1/400s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

NIKON D600    85.0 mm f/1.4 lens    85mm    f/4.5    1/320s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

Edited on Jul 15, 2013 at 04:31 AM · View previous versions

Jul 15, 2013 at 04:26 AM
hijazist
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · First Wedding

Cont.

NIKON D600    85mm    f/4.0    1/200s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

NIKON D600    85.0 mm f/1.4 lens    85mm    f/1.4    1/160s    450 ISO    0.0 EV  

NIKON D7000    8.0 mm f/3.5 lens    8mm    f/3.5    1/40s    3200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jul 15, 2013 at 04:27 AM
hijazist
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · First Wedding

Cont.2

NIKON D600    35.0 mm f/1.4 lens    35mm    f/1.4    1/125s    6400 ISO    0.0 EV  

NIKON D600    85.0 mm f/1.4 lens    85mm    f/1.4    1/500s    6400 ISO    0.0 EV  

NIKON D600    35.0 mm f/1.4 lens    35mm    f/1.4    1/160s    1600 ISO    0.0 EV  

NIKON D600    35.0 mm f/1.4 lens    35mm    f/1.4    1/160s    800 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jul 15, 2013 at 04:28 AM
scottam10
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · First Wedding

You've certainly given it a good crack, and with a fast 35mm and 85mm you've made a good choice of equipment (though zooms can be handy at times especially for the ceremony). I like the mix of angles and perspectives - good variety

Did you get any 'getting ready' shots? There are usually some good photo opportunities during hair/makeup. Also, it's great to get a few 'intimate' portraits of B&G afterwards

Bounce flash is also handy until you get into more involved lighting, but with fast primes you've done a good job with ambient

To my eye the WB on the kiss shot is a little cool but lighting can be tricky at the end of the day.
And I would have liked it if the group shot was a bit more centred under the arch, but it's not too bad

Jul 15, 2013 at 04:51 AM
hijazist
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · First Wedding

Thanks a lot for your informative feedback scottam10, much appreciated! Everything you said is to the point and I actually had it mind, however, once the wedding had started everything proceeded so fast that I forgot a lot of things I had prepared. For example, I forgot to take a group shot of the guys, shoe shot or use a grey card. As for the B&G shots, we have planned another coming session specifically for that.

What helped me was that I was good friends with B&G and basically everyone there. The setting was simple, everyone was laid back and there wasn't any sort of drama. I wanted to post more but I didn't want to flood the thread in my first posting here I will post a couple of "getting ready shots" shortly...

Jul 15, 2013 at 08:47 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

twistedlim
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · First Wedding

Nice shots. In my limited experience I have found that an assistant with a good eye (my wife) is more valuable than any of my equipment. Setting up group shots can be an art in itself. A good assistant would be thinking about how to better the group in shot 6 while you are fiddling with exposure and composition.

Jul 15, 2013 at 11:29 AM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · First Wedding

I think you definitely did a good job! Only thing i'd have suggested, is that clearly it was pretty dark in there....i prob would have used an on camera flash bouncing off the ceiling/walls for the shots inside...but that's just me...may have been the look you were going for....clearly it was pretty dark, i prob would have gel'd a flash and done some minimal bouncing, just to clean things up a bit....EDIT: just ready you didn't have a flash...so that answers that question....if you decide to stick with weddings, may be something to think about for the future....

Jul 15, 2013 at 03:06 PM
hijazist
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · First Wedding

NathanHamler wrote:
I think you definitely did a good job! Only thing i'd have suggested, is that clearly it was pretty dark in there....i prob would have used an on camera flash bouncing off the ceiling/walls for the shots inside...but that's just me...may have been the look you were going for....clearly it was pretty dark, i prob would have gel'd a flash and done some minimal bouncing, just to clean things up a bit....EDIT: just ready you didn't have a flash...so that answers that question....if you decide to stick with weddings, may be something to think about for the future....

Thanks for the feedback Nathan I have always undermined the importance of flash until this wedding... In landscape I have the luxury of doing longer exposures on a tripod, here however the moment is not going to wait for me... Lesson learned! Thanks again for the advice

Jul 15, 2013 at 03:20 PM
CraigB1960

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · First Wedding

Nice first out for sure. Need bounce flash, fill flash outside, (especially need lighting for formals) and work on grouping on your formals (the one you posted needs to be rearranged, tighten, and watch the hands and sunglasses).

As you pointed out, you forget to get some of the shots you had planned. This is normal and one of the biggest things people find out when taken on wedding photograph. It is hectic and schedules never happen as planned. Have to roll with the flow and be everywhere at all times!

With this said, I am sure the B&G will like these, you captured some nice moments and you have a good eye.

Edit: I am not a fan of the Bride's side on shot either, it does not flatter her figure. Looks like you were trying to capture her tattooed arm, which is fine, however it makes her look larger than she is.

Jul 15, 2013 at 03:34 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password