Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Jose's Crocodile River Tour -- Costa Rica

Shasoc
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Jose's Crocodile River Tour -- Costa Rica

Not sure how much you wife enjoyed this Crocs trip, Greg.
Non the less looks like a very enjoyable trip. Being used to gators I'm fine with the croc pics, but I would never try that Too many teeth for my taste
You got some great detail in these. The Caracara is my favorite.
Great view from you room. You can almost jump into the pool
Socrate

Jul 15, 2013 at 04:14 PM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Jose's Crocodile River Tour -- Costa Rica

Oh my Greg, these are marvelous! I'm still laughing at the opening shot There is just way too much humor in it!! The wildlife images are gorgeous, superb techs on all of them. You do have that rig firing on all cylinders I truly am excited about seeing what else you have from there The closing shot is almost enough to make me sell everything, quit my job and move!!! Wow.

Tim

Jul 15, 2013 at 05:27 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Jose's Crocodile River Tour -- Costa Rica

Very nicely done Greg. Looks like you had a great time. Crocs are very interesting. I did not know they got that big in the Americas. Great bird shots too. I had not seen that particular caracara - very nice. I'll go with the whimbrel too. Also a nice view from your room ~ Ron

Jul 15, 2013 at 07:54 PM
dorian
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Jose's Crocodile River Tour -- Costa Rica

HA! what a fun series. also, i love the plos biology shirt. really nice stuff greg.....

dorian

Jul 15, 2013 at 07:58 PM
Plinian
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Jose's Crocodile River Tour -- Costa Rica

Tim Kuhn wrote:
Oh my Greg, these are marvelous! I'm still laughing at the opening shot There is just way too much humor in it!! The wildlife images are gorgeous, superb techs on all of them. You do have that rig firing on all cylinders I truly am excited about seeing what else you have from there The closing shot is almost enough to make me sell everything, quit my job and move!!! Wow.

Tim

Thanks so much, TIm; that means a lot coming from someone who really knows how to handhold a big lens! One of the wonderful things about Costa Rica is the cultural emphasis on geological and biological diversity as a natural treasure. The croc feeding does come pretty close to exploitation; unfortunately it's much harder to show in images how Juan Carlos and the rest of the crew at Jose's are truly excited about wildlife and the natural world. A couple days later on our way back to San Jose, we were driving through Tarcoles and spotted a flock of macaws in the air...when we pulled off the side of the road, a group of local fisherman gave us detailed directions to an almond grove a few miles away where the macaws normally roost. Not a lot of infrastructure, but an awful lot of appreciation for the natural world. (If you do quit your job and move there, don't sell your 800).

Greg

Jul 16, 2013 at 06:24 AM
Plinian
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Jose's Crocodile River Tour -- Costa Rica

surfnron wrote:
Very nicely done Greg. Looks like you had a great time. Crocs are very interesting. I did not know they got that big in the Americas. Great bird shots too. I had not seen that particular caracara - very nice. I'll go with the whimbrel too. Also a nice view from your room ~ Ron

Appreciate it, Ron. The bigger the crocs, the more numerous the caracaras! (I think this species survives mostly by scavenging...guess there's probably a relationship between croc river tours and caracara numbers also!). Thanks for stopping by. ~Greg

Jul 16, 2013 at 06:28 AM
Plinian
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Jose's Crocodile River Tour -- Costa Rica

dorian wrote:
HA! what a fun series. also, i love the plos biology shirt. really nice stuff greg.....

dorian

Thanks, Dorian...with more foresight, I would have worn my PLGE shirt instead of my PLBI shirt. The latter is, of course, the flagship journal, but the former is the one that pays me the big bucks! Thanks for stopping by; I'm still blown away by those Newfoundland photos. ~Greg

Jul 16, 2013 at 06:32 AM
Plinian
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Jose's Crocodile River Tour -- Costa Rica

Karl Witt wrote:
I've only ever wanted 'a room with a view'

After seeing 4 and 5 I was afraid that I might see a partial after the feeding tease That's not nice to tease crocs'!

Lovely birds, Tiger Heron has been a long fav of mine.
Things look tropically delicious.............the journey continues

Karl

Thanks, Karl! We also saw spoonies, greenies, boat billed herons, little blue herons, brown penguins, black bellied whistling ducks, and a magnificent frigate bird (at a distance) at the Tarcoles. More to follow! ~Greg

Jul 16, 2013 at 06:38 AM
Plinian
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Jose's Crocodile River Tour -- Costa Rica

Charlie Shugart wrote:
Thanks for these, Greg.
All are exceptionally good images- and go well as a set.
Since crocodiles are usually more aggressive than alligators- I shudder when people intentionally get so close to either, especially a croc.
I always thought that Aussie croc man would be killed by a croc- but then he met his end from a sting ray- which are normally pretty mild-mannered.
Trust dangerous wildlife? No thanks.
Charlie

Thanks, Charlie. Honestly, we had the exact same reaction as you. The croc feeding was worth photographing, but what really made the tour was the diversity of wildlife. Thanks for stopping by! ~Greg

Jul 16, 2013 at 06:40 AM
David Leask
• • • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Jose's Crocodile River Tour -- Costa Rica

Cool shots Greg. All great but the first teeth shot is awesome!
David

Jul 16, 2013 at 01:45 PM
firstgear99
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Jose's Crocodile River Tour -- Costa Rica

holy crocodile Batman!

Jul 16, 2013 at 09:36 PM
thomas_1950
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Jose's Crocodile River Tour -- Costa Rica

That is a jamb-up set of pics Greg and thanks for posting.

Regarding the Tiger Heron not being found in North America, Rick Snider and Rick Nirschl found and photographed a Bare-throated Tiger-Heron at Bentsen-Rio Grande Valley State Park, TX HQ on December 21, 2009. This is the first ABA record (if it was accepted). Information available here: http://marybirds.blogspot.com/2009/12/bare-throated-tiger-heron-hidalgo.html

Best,
Tom

Jul 18, 2013 at 07:43 PM
waldr_p
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Jose's Crocodile River Tour -- Costa Rica

Great set Greg,

The bird close ups are superb!

I can't believe that guy feeding the croc still has all his limbs attached!

Paul.

Jul 19, 2013 at 02:29 PM
Plinian
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Jose's Crocodile River Tour -- Costa Rica

David Leask wrote:
Cool shots Greg. All great but the first teeth shot is awesome!
David

Thanks, David! I think good dental hygiene must contribute to that long croc lifespan. ~Greg

Jul 19, 2013 at 02:35 PM
Plinian
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Jose's Crocodile River Tour -- Costa Rica

firstgear99 wrote:
holy crocodile Batman!

Thanks for stopping by, firstgear. ~Greg

Jul 19, 2013 at 02:35 PM
Plinian
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Jose's Crocodile River Tour -- Costa Rica

thomas_1950 wrote:
That is a jamb-up set of pics Greg and thanks for posting.

Regarding the Tiger Heron not being found in North America, Rick Snider and Rick Nirschl found and photographed a Bare-throated Tiger-Heron at Bentsen-Rio Grande Valley State Park, TX HQ on December 21, 2009. This is the first ABA record (if it was accepted). Information available here: http://marybirds.blogspot.com/2009/12/bare-throated-tiger-heron-hidalgo.html

Best,
Tom

Thanks, Tom; appreciate the info on the tiger heron. It was a first for me (among many other birds in Costa Rica). Our guide, Jeff Munoz, had a wealth of information, knowledge, and acumen about local birds. There were a few situations in which a relatively common bird for us Norte Americanos (brown pelican, spoonie) elicited a lot of interest from Costa Ricans; more commonly, it was the other way round! ~Greg

Jul 19, 2013 at 02:38 PM
Plinian
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Jose's Crocodile River Tour -- Costa Rica

waldr_p wrote:
Great set Greg,

The bird close ups are superb!

I can't believe that guy feeding the croc still has all his limbs attached!

Paul.

Thanks, Paul! It's all part of the job description for the boatsmen; what's less apparent is their knowledge and interest with the local fauna...Juan Carlos pointed out some boat-billed herons and basilisk lizards that we would have totally missed; the feeding display was icing on a crocodile cake! ~Greg

Jul 19, 2013 at 02:59 PM
acjd
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Jose's Crocodile River Tour -- Costa Rica

love the birds. I'm liking #2 best. Good work, great vacation!

Jul 19, 2013 at 03:26 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.